P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical

:
2009 Mazda 5 Sport
133,000 miles. Was driving about 40MPH and all of a sudden it felt like I hit something. CEL and AT lights came on. Pulled over, pulled up Torque. Gave me P0753

I've seen a few others on here post about various electrical transmission codes. As they have said before, these codes are electrical in nature. No need to start digging deeper or draining fluids. If you are getting an electrical code related to the transmission, it is most likely the TCM.
I paid for an electrical diagnosis and in between trying to tell me I need a new transmission rebuild and a bunch of upselling, they were 75% sure that the TCM was bad.

Dealer wanted $670 plus tax. I overnighted one from Tasca Auto Parts for just under $500. You can save even more if you can wait. Also note the TCM is different between 08-10 and 12-15.

Removal is pretty straightforward. Remove battery, remove battery box. Need a needle nose or adjustable pliers to remove a cable grommet from one of the TCM bolts. It is not torqued on there very tight. Having a 10mm flex head ratcheting wrench helped quite a bit because two of the three bolts are hidden under the transmission motor mount. After replacing I had to take a few test drives for the idle to figure itself out.

Happy repairing.

08-10 part is L39C-18-9E1E

Last edited:
Back