Leaving my CX-5 for 6 weeks on vacation, how should I prepare?

Right if youve just checked it to be sure its fine.

Either way ounce of prevention is worth pound of solution or however that saying goes. I just want to know its going to start when I get back lol.

I guess the problem is they tend to go fast without a lot of warning. I mean that is why so many people have AAA (or some roadside assistance) right?

Actually the top reasons people call for roadside assistance are:

1-out of gas
2-locked out
3-flat tire
4-dead battery
5-call for a tow

at least according to Allstate .

If the battery is healthy, it won't go bad fast, by definition.

Of course, we have no idea of the condition of OP's battery. :)

Of course, we have no idea of the condition of OP's battery. :)

I dont really disagree with you. But unless youve just checked it you probably dont know the condition right?

Ill admit I dont check mine weekly or anything like that.

And I dont think many people actually check it or have the equipment or knowledge to do so. So its probably once every 6-12 months they take it in for maintenance assuming the dealer/independent shop is doing it like they should.

So I still just think a maintainer is a very reasonable preventative practice.

Not even sure why everyone thinks thats so unreasonable.

Nowhere did I see where the OP told us the year of his CX-5.
That might be helpful.
If it's brand new, then I wouldn't worry about the battery.
If it's 5 years old, then that's a different story.

Unless you look at the manufacture date burned into the side of the case which is not the top date code as a sticker or any other sticker or decal you do not know when the battery was actually manufactured. I might also add that the 5 years only has to do with advertising and how that company adjust warranty. By NO means does it guarantee any length of time a battery will last. There is no Chrystal ball to determine so many variables that can cause a battery to stop supporting the electrical system of a vehicle the only way to keep up on the batteries condition is to have the battery checked at least before winter and before summer. MINIMUM!

Unless you look at the manufacture date burned into the side of the case which is not the top date code as a sticker or any other sticker or decal you do not know when the battery was actually manufactured. I might also add that the 5 years only has to do with advertising and how that company adjust warranty. By NO means does it guarantee any length of time a battery will last. There is no Chrystal ball to determine so many variables that can cause a battery to stop supporting the electrical system of a vehicle the only way to keep up on the batteries condition is to have the battery checked at least before winter and before summer. MINIMUM!

Right.
And you can buy a basic load tester really cheap.

And a maintainer is cheap too. Just saying ounce of prevention!

If it was a 5 year old car and in a cold climate Id feel a lot better about it. Think someone else figured out it wasnt cold though.

I guess the problem is they tend to go fast without a lot of warning. I mean that is why so many people have AAA (or some roadside assistance) right?

My battery died over the course of a year. Sub-optimal performance for about that time-period finally culminating in a dead battery one night before work. My vehicle is a 2015, and it died the final death a month or two ago IIRC.

Leaving your car parked for 6 weeks shouldn't be an issue. They are allowed to sit alone for long periods.
My truck has been sitting outside for the last 3 weeks. Temps have hovered between -30C to 0C. Started up this morning no problem. I didn't disconnect the battery, no trickle charger, no worry about the gas tank, etc. I have left some vehicles way longer than that and never had an issue.
Just lock your car and walk away and enjoy the vacation.

Oh and for battery life, we are still running the original. Had it tested before this winter season and it was still ok.

Last edited:
Don't do any thing other than locking your car. no need to charge your battery if already used and normally charged during driving.

Thanks for the input from everyone, i have a 2013 cx5 but i just installed a new battery a few months ago due to startup problems that turned out to be related to the mass air flow sensor.

Anyway i guess I'll be fine according to all the reports here, i suppose i might disconnect the battery to avoid unnecessary drain, unless anyone knows I'm going to mess something up by disconnecting the battery long term.

Thanks for the input from everyone, i have a 2013 cx5 but i just installed a new battery a few months ago due to startup problems that turned out to be related to the mass air flow sensor.

Anyway i guess I'll be fine according to all the reports here, i suppose i might disconnect the battery to avoid unnecessary drain, unless anyone knows I'm going to mess something up by disconnecting the battery long term.

I don't know about these Mazdas, but on all of my previous cars I had things that needed to be reset after disconnecting the battery. Maybe all of your settings and such are NVM backed, but it could be that after some time with no power, some stuff will be different. I avoid it whenever possible. If I was going to do something, I'd have the battery health checked rather than disconnect it.

My daughter came home over summer (>2 months) and left her '14 Mazda parked outside in southern California.
(battery was replaced a year before that). When she returned to her Mazda3, weak battery.
Cranked a few rounds, but won't start.
Luckily I got her a Li-battery jumper ($50 at Amazon).
She got it started in 1-2 mins herself.

I would leave some snacks in the car in case it gets hungry.

I leave my car for weeks undriven sometimes months.. battery bwas fine. The only issue is age of battery..5 years.

I would just keep a Li-battery jumper ($50) around just in case.
If you worry about the state of charge of the battery, it typically lasts for 1 yr.
If you still worry, get one with supercap ($130). No need to charge it.
It extracts the charge remains inside your near dead battery and raises the voltage and provides the current sufficient for a couple cranking. Here is one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
On Black Friday, it was $110. Still too expensive, I know. Just saying.

You can carry one in your trunk to save the day or help others.

Last edited:
Back