20K service - Do I have to go to the dealers?

:
2016 cx-9 signature
Own a 16 CX-9, Had a msg keeps popping up for service and oil change.
Do I have to go to one of the dealers to do the service so as to keep it under warranty?
Any what service items do I have to do to fit the criteria? Don't want to have any additional ones recommended by the dealers.

Many thanks.

If you do go to the dealer look at your Mazda maintenance schedule and list of the items there and only those items. I have an older model but I suspect you're due for an oil change and not much else in reality. If you do have a reputable mechanic you can go to just bring that same list to them and you likely will be happier in the long run. Just be sure to keep all receipts for work done to keep the warranty in place, it's not mandatory to have maintenance done at the dealership.

1--Do you really need the severe service schedule?
2--You only need to go to a dealership for a warranty claim. Any licensed auto repair shop can do ordinary work. Save the paperwork. Be sure everything required in the manual is listed on the work order. Or, you can do it yourself. Find some way to document the work.

As noted above, the service writers always try to sell more service than needed. They get paid on commission. The more they sell, the more money they make. If they don't sell enough, they get fired.

By the way, I think you should check and possibly replace your air and cabin filters at 10,000 miles. If yours haven't been replaced yet, they are most likely very dirty.

I'm in the same boat; dealer wanted me back every 5k miles for oil change. But I have the prepaid maintenance plan with them

2--You only need to go to a dealership for a warranty claim. Any licensed auto repair shop can do ordinary work. Save the paperwork. Be sure everything required in the manual is listed on the work order. Or, you can do it yourself. Find some way to document the work.

This. I keep a log book of when I perform recommended maintenance, what parts were used, and keep track of all receipts from the products that were purchased. If you get any service work done at an independent shop, have someone from the shop sign off on the receipt. That's all Mazda needs from us as owners.

Own a 16 CX-9, Had a msg keeps popping up for service and oil change.
Do I have to go to one of the dealers to do the service so as to keep it under warranty?
Any what service items do I have to do to fit the criteria? Don't want to have any additional ones recommended by the dealers.

Many thanks.

No.

By the way, I think you should check and possibly replace your air and cabin filters at 10,000 miles. If yours haven't been replaced yet, they are most likely very dirty.

Thanks for the advice. I replaced the cabin filters at 17k, should replace the air filter soon.

Back