Slipping in First Gear

MattGoose

:
CX-9
Does anyone else occasionally think it sounds like their transmission is slipping while in first gear? Specifically when holding throttle position steady?

When I pull away from a stop in traffic (so under very light, sustained, consistent throttle application) it sounds exactly like a manual transmission being driven by someone who doesn't know what they are doing :) Same sound when a manual is right on the edge of stalling b/c the driver has the clutch most of the way out and it a touch light on the gas.

Worst case I've ever heard was in an old BMW 3 series with almost $200k on the clutch that you had to baby, baby, baby.

Am I alone in this?

A video/audio clip would help describe the issue further. AFAIK mine sounds and behaves perfectly normal.

Does anyone else occasionally think it sounds like their transmission is slipping while in first gear? Specifically when holding throttle position steady?

When I pull away from a stop in traffic (so under very light, sustained, consistent throttle application) it sounds exactly like a manual transmission being driven by someone who doesn't know what they are doing :) Same sound when a manual is right on the edge of stalling b/c the driver has the clutch most of the way out and it a touch light on the gas.

Worst case I've ever heard was in an old BMW 3 series with almost $200k on the clutch that you had to baby, baby, baby.

Am I alone in this?

Do you have a 1st gen or 2nd gen CX-9? I have a 1st gen that had the transmission replaced under warranty at 55K miles.

Matt, can you find a situation where you can get this to happen every time? Starting out up a certain grade, or whatever makes it happen?

Does the tachometer show a rise in the rpm and the speedometer not show a corresponding speed increase? Does it happen if you're shifted to 1st gear just to hold things constant while you start out?

Can you video this to show to the dealership or find a condition you can repeat every time? It sounds like a warranty repair is in your future. You don't want to waste your time if the service writer can't experience what you see or hear. "Problem not found" on the work order is no help.

Matt, can you find a situation where you can get this to happen every time? Starting out up a certain grade, or whatever makes it happen?

Does the tachometer show a rise in the rpm and the speedometer not show a corresponding speed increase? Does it happen if you're shifted to 1st gear just to hold things constant while you start out?

Can you video this to show to the dealership or find a condition you can repeat every time? It sounds like a warranty repair is in your future. You don't want to waste your time if the service writer can't experience what you see or hear. "Problem not found" on the work order is no help.

I'm trying to find a way to reliably reproduce. It happens quite frequently in one spot that I can think of.

Oddly, the tach sticks in one spot and the car feels like it just doesn't want to up and go. I think it's probably just a flat spot in the power band where the turbos haven't spooled up, but I'm chasing a fantom noise and at this point I don't even know anymore :)

I kind of get what your saying. I noticed on my new (2018 GT) kind of hesitating when trying to get going from a stop with about half throttle. Not sure if it's slipping but its kind of random and I thought that was possibly turbo lag but it donate happen every time. It accelerates smoothly when taking it slow but when I give it some rope it seems like it's thinking for a couple seconds. I've only driven it about 250 miles so still learning the cars habits and so far it feels powerful enough up to speed but I've tried some higher speed acceleration tests and the power is only there to a point. It's like they said on the reviews.. the power tops out early at 5000 rpms and then your gonna need some room to pass at higher speeds.

Back