Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61

Thread: California Exhaust Law has changed- for the worst

  1. #31
    Registered Member

    16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    1,979
    And sushi has a high mercury content. Let*s eat...

  2. #32
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    A bit more to discuss about:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nB_3_xUYqs

    Well watching that, I think it is wonderful. It*s only a matter of time now until we see an end to combustion engines, at least in their present form but there must be control of the older technology otherwise you undo all the good of the new. It*s just my opinion.

  3. #33
    Banned

    2018 Mazda

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    The WEST Region of USA close to RENO and San Francisco
    Posts
    146
    LOL
    The mention amendment was for the purpose to be used for the serious offender's of loud exhaust systems which includes any registered and operated on roads and highway in CA any and all vehicles. You can naturally challenge any vehicle violation citation in court. Having sit in on many Traffic Court sessions some thing like defending a load exhaust generally does not go well for the person trying to plead their case. So Good Luck with that!

    About the one really thing funny read is how some think that a CA Law Officer writing the vehicle violation determines what the fine will be. ROLMAO.
    REALLY! hahahahaha!
    Also having applied for approved and received and also rejected a few C.A.R.B. certificates for parts , people posting information about what it is and what its intended for should at least research ALL the information and get an actual C.A.R.B. certificates application to read before posting emotional thoughts what they think it is and does. LOL
    While I am a GEAR HEAD, HOT RODDER, have owned shops that I designed and engineered performance parts that I could not even legally sell in my own STATE without a disclaimer that basically said FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY etc., and really dislike many of the CA laws having to do with vehicle modding restrictions , they are in fact laws and unless I want to break the LAW I must comply or write my States governing powers to change those law.
    If you don't like the laws in the state you live and don't want to try to get them changed or for that matter this COUNTRY, fricken move or leave!
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-10-2019 at 02:02 PM.

  4. #34
    Registered Member Jedi54's Avatar

    2005 RX-8, Grand Touring

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SoCal, CA
    Posts
    379
    this new law is ridiculous.
    we're 10 days into the year and I've already had friends being cited under this new law since it is so subjective. I've seen mention of the 95db limit but current law enforcement isn't being trained or given any additional tools to actually measure the exhaust.
    Cars are being cited for having a LEGAL catback exhaust (all emission equipment unaltered and installed on vehicles) and they are being referred to a state referee for this. They can't even go to their local police department to have this signed off on.

    Really Ca? We don't have more pressing matters than to pull over cars with this? California already has THE MOST strict emission laws in the entire country so anyone saying this is good because it's citing cars that aren't adhering to current emission standards is just being foolish.
    This is a money grab by the state, plain and simple.

    It also is going to be completely biased in how it's enforced.
    I'd wager any sum of money that high end Porche's, BMW's, etc with modified exhausts get pulled over at a much lower rate than imports. Motorcycles? ha! No one is pulling over a Harley due to this, despite the fact that they're obnoxiously loud gross polluters. Way to go California, way to go. *golf clap*

  5. #35
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,686
    Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Can we please keep politics out of this and all threads.
    +1
    But you're talking to the moderator, so good luck.
    Did you notice he was writing these rants in the middle of the night? Might have something to do with his intensity. He's usually a man of fewer words.
    That's not to say he didn't make some valid points, but this forum isn't the place to be making them.

  6. #36
    Registered Member Jedi54's Avatar

    2005 RX-8, Grand Touring

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SoCal, CA
    Posts
    379
    We can't shy away from discourse simply under the guise of avoiding politics. I get this is an automotive forum and that needs to be / should be the primary topic of our discussions but this is a law that affects many automotive owners and enthusiasts which came about through the politics of the California senate. Unfortunately the politicis of this are forever intertwined with the law itself.

    Besides, what's wrong with posting at all hours of the night? I do it all the time over at the 8club. Heck, even my employees know I'm up sending emails well before any of them are awake. Those are the hours I do my best work.

  7. #37
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,686
    You're right. Ultimately everything is political. And it's important to discuss the specifics. But talking about political "philosophy" is inappropriate here. It's a fine line, but one that is almost always respected on this board.

    There's nothing "wrong" with doing anything at night. But when people are tired or stressed or [whatever is keeping them from sleeping], their thoughts and actions are affected.

  8. #38
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
    this new law is ridiculous.
    we're 10 days into the year and I've already had friends being cited under this new law since it is so subjective. I've seen mention of the 95db limit but current law enforcement isn't being trained or given any additional tools to actually measure the exhaust.
    Cars are being cited for having a LEGAL catback exhaust (all emission equipment unaltered and installed on vehicles) and they are being referred to a state referee for this. They can't even go to their local police department to have this signed off on.

    Really Ca? We don't have more pressing matters than to pull over cars with this? California already has THE MOST strict emission laws in the entire country so anyone saying this is good because it's citing cars that aren't adhering to current emission standards is just being foolish.
    This is a money grab by the state, plain and simple.

    It also is going to be completely biased in how it's enforced.
    I'd wager any sum of money that high end Porche's, BMW's, etc with modified exhausts get pulled over at a much lower rate than imports. Motorcycles? ha! No one is pulling over a Harley due to this, despite the fact that they're obnoxiously loud gross polluters. Way to go California, way to go. *golf clap*
    That Commiefornia for ya.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 79k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

  9. #39
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,686
    As I said in another thread, good luck enforcing that law once people start fighting it in court. If they're not measuring sound pressure with a calibrated machine at a specified distance, they've got no evidence. Just like radar.
    Still, if they stop you for it, you pay even if you beat it.

  10. #40
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
    this new law is ridiculous.
    we're 10 days into the year and I've already had friends being cited under this new law since it is so subjective. I've seen mention of the 95db limit but current law enforcement isn't being trained or given any additional tools to actually measure the exhaust.
    Cars are being cited for having a LEGAL catback exhaust (all emission equipment unaltered and installed on vehicles) and they are being referred to a state referee for this. They can't even go to their local police department to have this signed off on.

    Really Ca? We don't have more pressing matters than to pull over cars with this? California already has THE MOST strict emission laws in the entire country so anyone saying this is good because it's citing cars that aren't adhering to current emission standards is just being foolish.
    This is a money grab by the state, plain and simple.

    It also is going to be completely biased in how it's enforced.
    I'd wager any sum of money that high end Porche's, BMW's, etc with modified exhausts get pulled over at a much lower rate than imports. Motorcycles? ha! No one is pulling over a Harley due to this, despite the fact that they're obnoxiously loud gross polluters. Way to go California, way to go. *golf clap*
    No, it is not meant as a money grab, but rather as a deterrent. You could make the case, as you have, that it is designed to target specific ethnic and economic classes.
    Last edited by dougal; 01-10-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature



  11. #41
    Banned Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

    '15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    6,023
    Well christ, it's a law! It IS political (the same reason we have no cx5 diesel here). But if someone doesn't like it or feel it's inappropriate, I'll digress. I just added my 2c, I'm not against government or laws in general and have lived in and experienced different countries and (US) states to form my perspectives. It's a learning experience on perspective alone for me to see how others feel based on their geographic region/lifestyles. Back to rehashing old topics and AA/ACP issues I guess .
    Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 01-10-2019 at 05:26 PM.

  12. #42
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Well christ, it's a law! It IS political (the same reason we have no cx5 diesel here). But if someone doesn't like it or feel it's inappropriate, I'll digress. I just added my 2c, I'm not against government or laws in general and have lived in and experienced different countries and (US) states to form my perspectives. It's a learning experience on perspective alone for me to see how others feel based on their geographic region/lifestyles. Back to rehashing old topics and AA/ACP issues I guess .
    Chris, I wholeheartedly agree with you. A law is going to garner discussions both for and against it. If people want to call that "politics" then fine. It's a law that affects cars and this is a car forum.

    I am likewise not against government or law, but there is a threshold where you and I are unknowingly breaking stupid laws every single day, and that's just dumb. Anchorman, California is basically the king of stupid laws (in general), which is where the backlash comes from. This is really more a commentary on California in general, and take it from us, most other US states are not overly fond of California. Take the discussion not that long ago about California wanting to ban plastic straws. Meanwhile the rest of us hear they can't keep people from shitting on the streets in San Francisco, and the rest of us not in California roll our eyes. Essentially, over-regulation, money grabs (high taxes), and a lot of what Chris is talking about drives out people and businesses. There's a reason a lot of states, including Colorado are always groaning about "damn Californians" moving to our states. They leave the state for a number of factors, including the extremely high cost of living just even day by day there for the average joe. Problem is, most of them believe in the same "feel good" environmental stuff you do, try to enact all the same bullshit in our other states that ruined theirs and the cycle continues...

    Anyway, I don't say all this to disparage Californians on this board. My girlfriend is from CA, and I think it's a beautiful state. But once you get out of that region, I can't think of a more hated state in this country when it comes to laws and regulation that go too far, and suffice it to say, most of us do not want to be California in our own states.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  13. #43
    Banned

    2018 Mazda

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    The WEST Region of USA close to RENO and San Francisco
    Posts
    146
    So this is funny how many are so worked up and don't live in California to begin with. HAHAHAHA! And posting information about airliners without even understanding why they are so quiet now around airports in the US. This has to do with Federal Noise regulation. LOL

    As for emission testing from some who just dont understand how the testing works. So let me explain a tiny bit...there are two ways to get required emission tested in Ca one is through a shop licence to emission test and another is a California only emission test center. As an independent you are RESPONSIBLE and held ACCOUNTABLE if you pass by way of a visual inspection any vehicle that does not meet TO THE LETTER all the emission requirements. That means first time caught is warning second a fine the third the tech gets fines and suspended from doing testing and the shop is fined the next time I believe now it goes into misdemeanors? Like you could go to jail! So its simple if you come and I am doing a visual and you don't have all your CARB stickers and if I look them up and they do show ALL the parts that are included you fail. Go see a CA only emission center. Good Luck with that! If you have anything questionable to me even a CARB sticker and I dont feel comfortable signing off on the visual YOU FAIL go to CA only emission center for inspection and testing. The days of slipping the tech to pass you illegal engine and parts are pretty much gone. You see the state of CA air resources board sends people out to check shops making sure that the vehicle they are testing and logged into the state is the actual vehicle being inspected and tested.


    I just want to be CLEAR I hate so many of the laws here and most have to do with my cars. You have no idea! This is NOTHING new for me as it dates back having to do with cars starting in the 80's. I can't tell you how many parts I had to discontinue selling because CA was my largest customer base. The latest which I wont go into but my friends automotive service related shop was re-categorized and can no longer as per CA law do DYNO testing. I also will not be paying to reinstate my emission testing licence this time when it expires.
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-10-2019 at 05:58 PM.

  14. #44
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,686
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Chris, I wholeheartedly agree with you. A law is going to garner discussions both for and against it. If people want to call that "politics" then fine. It's a law that affects cars and this is a car forum.

    I am likewise not against government or law, but there is a threshold where you and I are unknowingly breaking stupid laws every single day, and that's just dumb. Anchorman, California is basically the king of stupid laws (in general), which is where the backlash comes from. This is really more a commentary on California in general, and take it from us, most other US states are not overly fond of California. Take the discussion not that long ago about California wanting to ban plastic straws. Meanwhile the rest of us hear they can't keep people from shitting on the streets in San Francisco, and the rest of us not in California roll our eyes. Essentially, over-regulation, money grabs (high taxes), and a lot of what Chris is talking about drives out people and businesses. There's a reason a lot of states, including Colorado are always groaning about "damn Californians" moving to our states. They leave the state for a number of factors, including the extremely high cost of living just even day by day there for the average joe. Problem is, most of them believe in the same "feel good" environmental stuff you do, try to enact all the same bullshit in our other states that ruined theirs and the cycle continues...

    Anyway, I don't say all this to disparage Californians on this board. My girlfriend is from CA, and I think it's a beautiful state. But once you get out of that region, I can't think of a more hated state in this country when it comes to laws and regulation that go too far, and suffice it to say, most of us do not want to be California in our own states.
    I don't know how you can read post #16 and not think that's a POLITICAL rant. It's about FAR MORE than just that law and its ramifications, which are worthy of discussion here.

    What's funny is that many people on the Western Slope say the same things about the Front Range as you are saying about California!

    It all depends on your perspective.

  15. #45
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,686
    Hey, CD, if you're not familiar with the State of Jefferson, check it out. It's something people who live where I do and NoCal have been talking about for over 70 years. You'll get a kick out of it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Changed the ATF and now .......
    By LX_StreetGlow in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 08:30 PM
  2. where do you get your oil changed?
    By zoomzoomV in forum Mazda5 Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 07:31 PM
  3. *worst* Pictures of the Worst MSP evar!
    By NeverSober in forum NEMOC
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 08:01 AM
  4. worst day ever
    By Mr. 4500 RPM in forum Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 12:48 AM
  5. nothing has changed.
    By mypfizzle in forum Lounge
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 03:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •