Well, it was bound to happen...

mox44ah

:
2018 CX-5 GT
Last night the wife drove the CX5 and left the sunroof open when she got home and parked it. (Not completely open, just the back tilted up)

Of course it had to happen on a night that we got some pretty solid rain. There wasn't any water on the seats or center console, just up in the area where the felt sunroof cover slides back. I stuffed some paper towels up there to try to absorb as much moisture as I could. Anyway, has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there anything more I should do to try to dry it out? Anything specific that could be damaged from this happening that I should be aware of? TIA.

I*m assuming you don*t have any industrial quality drying equipment. I would get a box fan and point it at the ceiling and just let it run on high for a day or so. Do you have a garage where you can park it so you can leave the windows open while running the fan? Also, if you have to drive it, crank up the A/C to reduce the humidity inside the cabin or roll down the windows to circulate the air.

Last night the wife drove the CX5 and left the sunroof open when she got home and parked it. (Not completely open, just the back tilted up)

Of course it had to happen on a night that we got some pretty solid rain. There wasn't any water on the seats or center console, just up in the area where the felt sunroof cover slides back. I stuffed some paper towels up there to try to absorb as much moisture as I could. Anyway, has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there anything more I should do to try to dry it out? Anything specific that could be damaged from this happening that I should be aware of? TIA.
Dont worry too much the after-effect on this incident and dont say too much too your wife too. ;)

Theres not much you need to do other than what you have done. The moonroof is only tilt-open, most rain water should go to the moonroof drains along the side channels. Besides rain water is clean, and its much better than a whole cup of Coke got spilled on the floor carpet!

Yes both had happened to me. The moonroof area on my CX-5 looks fine without any mold developing after 3 years from the incident.

Ceilings with a moonroof are basically a big drip pan, water is channeled to each corner.

Besides rain water is clean,

Ahem, the OP lives in NJ... If you're worried about mold and mildew, get some damp-rid and hang it in the car with windows closed up. Any moisture will be collected and you should be fine.
cache.php

Happened on my car, roof fully opened. Twice. Dried out the inside. Its fine.

If only the sunroof back was tilted up, to me this sounds like the drain lines attached to the sunroof are slow draining and need to be cleaned out. You should be able to pour water into the sunroof gutter and see it quickly drain out below the car and onto the pavement below. Some manufacturers have two lines, one in each front corner of the sunroof, others have four drain lines, two front, two back.

Get some https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and poke around in each corner of the sunroof until you find the drain line opening and then plumb out each side. Some people also recommend making a pot of warm soapy water and pouring it into the sunroof gutter. But not boiling hot, because with some manufacturers that can undo the glue sealing the drain lines tightly to the sunroof gutter. Nor do I recommend blowing out the gutter lines with an air hose, since the over pressure can shatter some drainage lines.

In this video he takes off all the trim to show the drainage lines. That's a lot more work than I've ever done.

Last edited:
Back