Thread: Well, it was bound to happen...

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 GT

Well, it was bound to happen...

Last night the wife drove the CX5 and left the sunroof open when she got home and parked it. (Not completely open, just the back tilted up)

Of course it had to happen on a night that we got some pretty solid rain. There wasn't any water on the seats or center console, just up in the area where the felt sunroof cover slides back. I stuffed some paper towels up there to try to absorb as much moisture as I could. Anyway, has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there anything more I should do to try to dry it out? Anything specific that could be damaged from this happening that I should be aware of? TIA.
    2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2016 Mazda CX-5 T
    2015 Yamaha FZ09 (Melisandre)
    2012 Yamaha R6 (Lucy)
    2009 Mazda 3 (Fireball)
    1998 Chevy S-10 (Cindy)

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5

I*m assuming you don*t have any industrial quality drying equipment. I would get a box fan and point it at the ceiling and just let it run on high for a day or so. Do you have a garage where you can park it so you can leave the windows open while running the fan? Also, if you have to drive it, crank up the A/C to reduce the humidity inside the cabin or roll down the windows to circulate the air.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Well, it was bound to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by mox44ah View Post
    Last night the wife drove the CX5 and left the sunroof open when she got home and parked it. (Not completely open, just the back tilted up)

Of course it had to happen on a night that we got some pretty solid rain. There wasn't any water on the seats or center console, just up in the area where the felt sunroof cover slides back. I stuffed some paper towels up there to try to absorb as much moisture as I could. Anyway, has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there anything more I should do to try to dry it out? Anything specific that could be damaged from this happening that I should be aware of? TIA.
    Donít worry too much the after-effect on this incident and donít say too much too your wife too.

Thereís not much you need to do other than what you have done. The moonroof is only tilt-open, most rain water should go to the moonroof drains along the side channels. Besides rain water is clean, and itís much better than a whole cup of Coke got spilled on the floor carpet!

Yes both had happened to me. The moonroof area on my CX-5 looks fine without any mold developing after 3 years from the incident.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Ceilings with a moonroof are basically a big drip pan, water is channeled to each corner.

2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Besides rain water is clean,
    Ahem, the OP lives in NJ... If you're worried about mold and mildew, get some damp-rid and hang it in the car with windows closed up. Any moisture will be collected and you should be fine.
    All In The Family
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/PP
    2016 Mazda3 Touring

2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2014 BMW E84 xDrive28i - RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5)
    2013 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2013 Mazda MZD3i FWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2009 BMW E90 328xi - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 E84)

2007 BMW E92 328i - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 CX-5)

Happened on my car, roof fully opened. Twice. Dried out the inside. Its fine.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Happened on my car, roof fully opened. Twice. Dried out the inside. Its fine.
    It's like when I got my car shampooed, took it like 2 days to dry out.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 77k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Just glad I had leather seats.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Just glad I had leather seats.
    Did you get any wrinkling on your leather seats from all of the rain water?

Nope. Look like new still.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX-5

If only the sunroof back was tilted up, to me this sounds like the drain lines attached to the sunroof are slow draining and need to be cleaned out. You should be able to pour water into the sunroof gutter and see it quickly drain out below the car and onto the pavement below. Some manufacturers have two lines, one in each front corner of the sunroof, others have four drain lines, two front, two back.

Get some Grass Trimmer Line and poke around in each corner of the sunroof until you find the drain line opening and then plumb out each side. Some people also recommend making a pot of warm soapy water and pouring it into the sunroof gutter. But not boiling hot, because with some manufacturers that can undo the glue sealing the drain lines tightly to the sunroof gutter. Nor do I recommend blowing out the gutter lines with an air hose, since the over pressure can shatter some drainage lines.

In this video he takes off all the trim to show the drainage lines. That's a lot more work than I've ever done.
    Last edited by Feature; 01-11-2019 at 05:29 PM.