Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Retrofit 360 view camera

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    Cx-9

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2

    Smile Retrofit 360 view camera

    Has anybody tried retrofit 2019 CX-9 360 degree view camera system on 2018/2017 CX-9? Can it be done if so what would be the cost and time effort?
    Just installed AA with latest firmware and usb ports and it was money well spend along with worth 2 hrs of DIY... now 360 view would make my 2018 CX-9 perfect.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Montana/Arizona

    2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    46
    I just had the AA/USB added to my new 2018 as part of the deal so that's done as well. I'm don't think I'll miss the 360 camera that much but if I could retro-fit the seats to ventilate I would look into that if it were not stupid money.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    1,703
    I would like it. I find the car to be large and a 360 camera would be very useful to have.
    Last edited by dougal; 01-11-2019 at 07:32 AM.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature


  4. #4
    Grand Poobah tex2670's Avatar

    2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpml View Post
    Has anybody tried retrofit 2019 CX-9 360 degree view camera system on 2018/2017 CX-9? Can it be done if so what would be the cost and time effort?
    How would you install all the camera lenses? I don't think there would be blank holes there for them.

  5. #5
    Registered Member JPL's Avatar

    2018 Mazda6, CX-9

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    689
    I find the backup camera and parking sensors to be more than enough. If you have a lower trim without the sensors I could see it being tougher to judge. Considering it's expensive for the factory to do it, I can only imagine how expensive a retrofit would be. I wonder if there's aftermarket kits popping up. If not yet, only a matter of time.
    Last edited by JPL; 01-11-2019 at 10:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature Edition

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    7
    Retrofitting the front parking sensors from 18/19 would be more useful for me.

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX9 GT

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpml View Post
    Has anybody tried retrofit 2019 CX-9 360 degree view camera system on 2018/2017 CX-9? Can it be done if so what would be the cost and time effort?
    Just installed AA with latest firmware and usb ports and it was money well spend along with worth 2 hrs of DIY... now 360 view would make my 2018 CX-9 perfect.
    Thanks in advance.
    It can be done. But the stock 2019 360 camera quality is pure crap in both software and hardware. The aftermarkets appear more attractive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdi564sN29M&t=82s



    Installation process will be similar as
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-myDRrsaBxY&t=120s

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by tunglete View Post
    It can be done. But the stock 2019 360 camera quality is pure crap in both software and hardware. The aftermarkets appear more attractive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdi564sN29M&t=82s



    Installation process will be similar as
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-myDRrsaBxY&t=120s
    Does not seem real easy.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  9. #9
    My Way IS the Highway

    2018 CX-9 Signature Silver & 2007 CX-7 GT AWD Liq Platinum

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Suburban Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Does not seem real easy.
    No it doesn't, in fact it looks like a whole lot of fuss for what exactly? I think this is where some stark generational lines can be drawn. I suppose those who have grown up a "gamer" may have strong tendencies toward anything that imitates a video game. I can only speak for myself, but as someone whose video game experience included little more than Atari Pong, Pacman, and Tempest, I don't get it. Having relied solely on my eyes and visual acuity, as well as maintaining concentration and awareness of my surroundings for over 40 years... I find it utterly distracting.

    The back-up camera helps me make sure there isn't a little kid stuffing potatoes in my tailpipes when backing up, and front sensors are useful in a tight squeeze, but who wants all this other constant stuff going on while you are trying to enjoy driving?

    Edit: I think it likely to cause more accidents from the distraction as it is no more than a type of tunnel vision to the proximity of the car. Good driving means ALWAYS paying attention to what is going on with the car in front of the car already in front of you.
    Last edited by singlemalt_18; 01-12-2019 at 04:09 PM.

  10. #10
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX9 GT

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemalt_18 View Post
    No it doesn't, in fact it looks like a whole lot of fuss for what exactly? I think this is where some stark generational lines can be drawn. I suppose those who have grown up a "gamer" may have strong tendencies toward anything that imitates a video game. I can only speak for myself, but as someone whose video game experience included little more than Atari Pong, Pacman, and Tempest, I don't get it. Having relied solely on my eyes and visual acuity, as well as maintaining concentration and awareness of my surroundings for over 40 years... I find it utterly distracting.

    The back-up camera helps me make sure there isn't a little kid stuffing potatoes in my tailpipes when backing up, and front sensors are useful in a tight squeeze, but who wants all this other constant stuff going on while you are trying to enjoy driving?

    Edit: I think it likely to cause more accidents from the distraction as it is no more than a type of tunnel vision to the proximity of the car. Good driving means ALWAYS paying attention to what is going on with the car in front of the car already in front of you.
    I agree,but I dont think who would ever uses 360 while driving. 360 camera is extremely helpful for parking, especially with large vehicle like CX9 need to park in a tight city slot. I am not sure who ever uses 360 while driving, not me/

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    Cx-9

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2
    Much appreciate all the inputs so far.
    The main reason for retrofit the 360 view is that where I live I have to constantly navigate through really narrow street where I find people double park all the time. Just last couple month I ended up clipping the side mirror few times. also have to deal with old buildings with tight spiral ramp/entrance and really tight parking spots. I sure do wish that I have 360 view whenever all parking sensors are beeping left and right the whole time I am driving down/up the ramp. CX-9 isn't really bulky but it sure isn't small.

  12. #12
    My Way IS the Highway

    2018 CX-9 Signature Silver & 2007 CX-7 GT AWD Liq Platinum

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Suburban Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpml View Post
    Much appreciate all the inputs so far.
    The main reason for retrofit the 360 view is that where I live I have to constantly navigate through really narrow street where I find people double park all the time. Just last couple month I ended up clipping the side mirror few times. also have to deal with old buildings with tight spiral ramp/entrance and really tight parking spots. I sure do wish that I have 360 view whenever all parking sensors are beeping left and right the whole time I am driving down/up the ramp. CX-9 isn't really bulky but it sure isn't small.
    I'm sure there can be some utility to the feature, and your situation sounds like a good fit. I've never seen it other than the utube clips (here and a few others, including the android system), and much of that appeared to be a bit of tech overload. I think your idea of a system that would have a specific camera view appear once a sensor for that given area is triggered sounds like a more intelligent approach.

  13. #13
    Montana/Arizona

    2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    46
    It's interesting how 360 camera's and pano-roof's are almost required equipment these days. I personally could care less about either. I bet most people don't have sunroofs open 10% of the miles they drive. 360 camera could be helpful in tight city conditions but that's not me. I've never really used one but I can't imagine looking at that screen to squeeze into a tight space. It would be more helpful if the right side mirror would angle down when reversing to show you where the curb is.

  14. #14
    Montana/Arizona

    2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    46
    I wouldn't think of getting my dash dismantled like that just to install a 360 camera. Looks like a lot of things might not go back together as well as the first time.

Similar Threads

  1. Front & Around View Camera?
    By Mopstah in forum CX-5 Infotainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2018, 06:02 PM
  2. 4 Camera 360 Birds Eye view
    By meldxb in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-02-2016, 08:17 AM
  3. Rear view camera
    By Wheelie in forum CX-5 Infotainment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 07:07 AM
  4. Rear View Camera
    By cccx9 in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
  5. Rear view camera
    By mixmasterlove in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •