Retrofit 360 view camera

:
Cx-9
Has anybody tried retrofit 2019 CX-9 360 degree view camera system on 2018/2017 CX-9? Can it be done if so what would be the cost and time effort?
Just installed AA with latest firmware and usb ports and it was money well spend along with worth 2 hrs of DIY... now 360 view would make my 2018 CX-9 perfect.
Thanks in advance.

I just had the AA/USB added to my new 2018 as part of the deal so that's done as well. I'm don't think I'll miss the 360 camera that much but if I could retro-fit the seats to ventilate I would look into that if it were not stupid money.

I would like it. I find the car to be large and a 360 camera would be very useful to have.

Last edited:
Has anybody tried retrofit 2019 CX-9 360 degree view camera system on 2018/2017 CX-9? Can it be done if so what would be the cost and time effort?

How would you install all the camera lenses? I don't think there would be blank holes there for them.

I find the backup camera and parking sensors to be more than enough. If you have a lower trim without the sensors I could see it being tougher to judge. Considering it's expensive for the factory to do it, I can only imagine how expensive a retrofit would be. I wonder if there's aftermarket kits popping up. If not yet, only a matter of time.

Last edited:
Retrofitting the front parking sensors from 18/19 would be more useful for me.

Just installed AA with latest firmware and usb ports and it was money well spend along with worth 2 hrs of DIY... now 360 view would make my 2018 CX-9 perfect.
Thanks in advance.

It can be done. But the stock 2019 360 camera quality is pure crap in both software and hardware. The aftermarkets appear more attractive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdi564sN29M&t=82s

Installation process will be similar as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-myDRrsaBxY&t=120s

Does not seem real easy.

No it doesn't, in fact it looks like a whole lot of fuss for what exactly? I think this is where some stark generational lines can be drawn. I suppose those who have grown up a "gamer" may have strong tendencies toward anything that imitates a video game. I can only speak for myself, but as someone whose video game experience included little more than Atari Pong, Pacman, and Tempest, I don't get it. Having relied solely on my eyes and visual acuity, as well as maintaining concentration and awareness of my surroundings for over 40 years... I find it utterly distracting.

The back-up camera helps me make sure there isn't a little kid stuffing potatoes in my tailpipes when backing up, and front sensors are useful in a tight squeeze, but who wants all this other constant stuff going on while you are trying to enjoy driving?

Edit: I think it likely to cause more accidents from the distraction as it is no more than a type of tunnel vision to the proximity of the car. Good driving means ALWAYS paying attention to what is going on with the car in front of the car already in front of you.

Last edited:
No it doesn't, in fact it looks like a whole lot of fuss for what exactly? I think this is where some stark generational lines can be drawn. I suppose those who have grown up a "gamer" may have strong tendencies toward anything that imitates a video game. I can only speak for myself, but as someone whose video game experience included little more than Atari Pong, Pacman, and Tempest, I don't get it. Having relied solely on my eyes and visual acuity, as well as maintaining concentration and awareness of my surroundings for over 40 years... I find it utterly distracting.

The back-up camera helps me make sure there isn't a little kid stuffing potatoes in my tailpipes when backing up, and front sensors are useful in a tight squeeze, but who wants all this other constant stuff going on while you are trying to enjoy driving?

Edit: I think it likely to cause more accidents from the distraction as it is no more than a type of tunnel vision to the proximity of the car. Good driving means ALWAYS paying attention to what is going on with the car in front of the car already in front of you.

I agree,but I dont think who would ever uses 360 while driving. 360 camera is extremely helpful for parking, especially with large vehicle like CX9 need to park in a tight city slot. I am not sure who ever uses 360 while driving, not me/

Much appreciate all the inputs so far.
The main reason for retrofit the 360 view is that where I live I have to constantly navigate through really narrow street where I find people double park all the time. Just last couple month I ended up clipping the side mirror few times. also have to deal with old buildings with tight spiral ramp/entrance and really tight parking spots. I sure do wish that I have 360 view whenever all parking sensors are beeping left and right the whole time I am driving down/up the ramp. CX-9 isn't really bulky but it sure isn't small.

Much appreciate all the inputs so far.
The main reason for retrofit the 360 view is that where I live I have to constantly navigate through really narrow street where I find people double park all the time. Just last couple month I ended up clipping the side mirror few times. also have to deal with old buildings with tight spiral ramp/entrance and really tight parking spots. I sure do wish that I have 360 view whenever all parking sensors are beeping left and right the whole time I am driving down/up the ramp. CX-9 isn't really bulky but it sure isn't small.

I'm sure there can be some utility to the feature, and your situation sounds like a good fit. I've never seen it other than the utube clips (here and a few others, including the android system), and much of that appeared to be a bit of tech overload. I think your idea of a system that would have a specific camera view appear once a sensor for that given area is triggered sounds like a more intelligent approach.

It's interesting how 360 camera's and pano-roof's are almost required equipment these days. I personally could care less about either. I bet most people don't have sunroofs open 10% of the miles they drive. 360 camera could be helpful in tight city conditions but that's not me. I've never really used one but I can't imagine looking at that screen to squeeze into a tight space. It would be more helpful if the right side mirror would angle down when reversing to show you where the curb is.

I wouldn't think of getting my dash dismantled like that just to install a 360 camera. Looks like a lot of things might not go back together as well as the first time.

I have looked up on service manual and it seems that there is a module on the passenger side that controls 360 view. I am wondering if the OEM module and (hopefully) cabling is already in place. And maybe just may be... I would just need to buy a front camera and side mirror to perhaps just install cameras on both side mirror and cable. I know it is a long shot at the best but most likely wishful thinking... but if I can I would go with OEM parts if I can.

Back