Ross bars for roof rack, who's got'em?

:
Cx-9
Thinking about getting a set of these. Anybody have cross bars on their roof? Factory or aftermarket, how do you like them?

I already have the roof rails installed just need to cross bars.

Dealer wants $200 but looks like I can save 25% by getting them through Amazon

Mazda CX-9 2016-2017 New OEM Roof rack cross bars 0000-8L-N11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I purchased a OEM set from eBay for 173.00 shipped. Installation took about 30 minutes. OEM is the way to go. Aftermarket looks very bulky, OEM looks sleek.

They are fine. Installation could be, should be, easier. But if you get the ratchet extension they recommend, it's fine.

They do make enough noise that I wish I could pop them off when I take the Thule off.

Thinking about getting a set of these. Anybody have cross bars on their roof? Factory or aftermarket, how do you like them?

I already have the roof rails installed just need to cross bars.

Dealer wants $200 but looks like I can save 25% by getting them through Amazon

Mazda CX-9 2016-2017 New OEM Roof rack cross bars 0000-8L-N11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I purchased a OEM set from eBay for 173.00 shipped. Installation took about 30 minutes. OEM is the way to go. Aftermarket looks very bulky, OEM looks sleek.

They are fine. Installation could be, should be, easier. But if you get the ratchet extension they recommend, it's fine.

They do make enough noise that I wish I could pop them off when I take the Thule off.

I agree with both of these posts. They're definitely the way to go in terms of sleekness. I negotiated to have them included and installed when I purchased the car because I had read about the install being a bit of a pain.

And I too wish I could easily take them off when I'm not using my roofbox because with the moonroof shade open you can hear some wind noise if you don't have music/radio on. But beyond that, they're great!

A Wiha 36236 T30 ball end Torx screwdriver makes it easier to get the screws in & out. I guess they made it difficult to get the screws out to deter theft of the rack and whatever is on it.

I got the factory bars from ebay. Install was not hard but took a while with the tool that came with it. My front bar is a little loose by the sliding joint. Got to go back and see if I could make it tighter.

Last edited:
Should that sliding joint be allowed to slide? If you have a load on the bars, drive over a bump, the load will flex the bars. Allowing the slip takes the side thrust off the roof rails.

Should that sliding joint be allowed to slide? If you have a load on the bars, drive over a bump, the load will flex the bars. Allowing the slip takes the side thrust off the roof rails.

I'm not sure about this. The rear bar feels firm and no movement but the front has about 1mm of wiggle room at the joint.

I purchased to oem cross bars from mazda swag. Couldn't be happier. Tho they area a pita to install

I have the OEM cross rails, negotiated at time of sale including installation. I heard they were a bit problematic to install, therefore I will not be removing them anytime soon.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Back