Heater Core

It's done. Did it solo over the last two days. Took 7 hours to get to the core and 5 hours to put it all back together. Relatively straight forward, just time consuming. Still have to drain and refill the cooling system after the flush and get the AC recharged. The old core seemed about 70% blocked just based on me trying to blow through it.

Wow. Did you take any pics of your efforts. I get minimal heat on the driver*s side and it*s barely warm on the passenger side with the temp turned up to max (90). For a while when the weather was cool in he mornings, I had the a/c off and the temp set to max and the P011a code came on. It warmed up so I turned the temp back down and the code went away. From what I read, the code can be thrown if the two sides register a difference in temperatures for a number of starts. I guess when I turned the temp back to cool, the heating system wasn*t active so the code went away.

Wow. Did you take any pics of your efforts. I get minimal heat on the driver*s side and it*s barely warm on the passenger side with the temp turned up to max (90). For a while when the weather was cool in he mornings, I had the a/c off and the temp set to max and the P011a code came on. It warmed up so I turned the temp back down and the code went away. From what I read, the code can be thrown if the two sides register a difference in temperatures for a number of starts. I guess when I turned the temp back to cool, the heating system wasn*t active so the code went away.

Sounds the same as mine, the heat out of the two middle vents was barely warm unless I was at highway RPM and the outer vents never really got warm.

I have a couple pics of it torn apart but as simple as the shop manuals are they were sufficient to do the job. Only a couple steps seemed to be missing.

Dang!!!

Respect...

In my younger days I torn cars down to the frame or unibody and then rebuilt them (albeit older British sports cars and early Datsun Zs); but I"m not sure I'd want to undertake this job nowadays.

Wow, even both front seats were removed! A lot of work in 12 working hours!

If only the front seats were the hardest part! I was thoroughly intimidated when I took that picture thinking about trying to get it all back together..... and not missing anything!

If only the front seats were the hardest part! I was thoroughly intimidated when I took that picture thinking about trying to get it all back together..... and not missing anything!
And did you find a couple of bolts or nuts laying around after you'd put everything back? :)

Yeah, it's all part of the weight reduction program!
Yeah, a good idea nowadays! :)

BTW, can you tell us whats the mileage of your CX-5, and was it on factory-filled FL-22 coolant while youre having issue on heater core?

Yeah, a good idea nowadays! :)

BTW, can you tell us whats the mileage of your CX-5, and was it on factory-filled FL-22 coolant while youre having issue on heater core?
I first started noticing the reduced heating last winter and got the P011A at the tail end of last winter with about 60k miles. I now have 71k on the vehicle. Only used FL22 coolant. The vehicle was purchased in April of 2012, it was one of the first shipments the dealership received.

I first started noticing the reduced heating last winter and got the P011A at the tail end of last winter with about 60k miles. I now have 71k on the vehicle. Only used FL22 coolant. The vehicle was purchased in April of 2012, it was one of the first shipments the dealership received.
I seem to remember theres a TSB on heater core for early CX-5s. Hope Mazda has revised something on it so that this wont happen for later model-year CX-5s. Did you notice any part number change between your original heater core and the new one you just installed? We know nobody wants to have heated core problem as its an expensive repair, and I bet even though youd done the heater cord replacement once on your CX-5, you dont want to do the same job again!

Nice job hiflyer.

Would be great to know if they changed the heater core at some point to avoid this issue. I have 16.5 that I thought was having heating issues but I think it was just stupid could out (-20f) and I was being impatient. the car will be out of basic warranty soon though so Id love to know if mine could be affected.

Nice job hiflyer.

Would be great to know if they changed the heater core at some point to avoid this issue. I have 16.5 that I thought was having heating issues but I think it was just stupid could out (-20f) and I was being impatient. the car will be out of basic warranty soon though so Id love to know if mine could be affected.
The part number for the replacement was the same and visually they look identical. Hopefully they changed vendors or specs a few years back to avoid this issue but I have idea if they did.

Looks like the CX-5 uses a heater control valve. This will reduce or cut off the flow of coolant to the heater core when you do not want heat. I have not had a heating issue yet. Think I will start turning the temperature control to heat every once in a while in the summer to get the flow of coolant through the heater core. Maybe once a week for about 5 minutes when the engine is cold. This might keep it from clogging up up when he heater is turned to cold for 6 or 7 months at a time.

Back