2003 Protege5 crank, no start and CEL

Usually if the check engine light does not illuminate during the bulb check, you'll find one of a few things.

1. The bulb has burned out
2. The ECU has failed or is failing
3. There is a wiring issue in the car preventing the ECU from functioning properly.

Since you said the bulb flickers, unlikely it is the bulb. I would start by checking the power and ground inputs to the ECU AND make sure it is getting appropriate power and ground signals at all points. I'm sure PCB can give you a wiring diagram with what pins and colors you need to verify.

If the ECU has power and ground everywhere it is supposed to, chances are it has failed. But carefully check everything before condemning it and forking over cash on any parts. Let us know what you find and we can go from there, but that's where I would start.

Usually if the check engine light does not illuminate during the bulb check, you'll find one of a few things.

1. The bulb has burned out
2. The ECU has failed or is failing
3. There is a wiring issue in the car preventing the ECU from functioning properly.

Since you said the bulb flickers, unlikely it is the bulb. I would start by checking the power and ground inputs to the ECU AND make sure it is getting appropriate power and ground signals at all points. I'm sure PCB can give you a wiring diagram with what pins and colors you need to verify.

If the ECU has power and ground everywhere it is supposed to, chances are it has failed. But carefully check everything before condemning it and forking over cash on any parts. Let us know what you find and we can go from there, but that's where I would start.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Took the steering column apart again, found spliced wires where the ignition switch connects (Im not the first owner) and the solders were wrapped in electric tape, a couple were exposed. Thinking these were touching metal in there and possibly shorting out. Wrapped everything up with fresh tape (not my first choice) and the car has been starting up fine. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Back