VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 03 P5 crank no start no CEL

Banned

2018 Mazda

The WEST Region of USA close to RENO and San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by i12drivemyMP5 View Post
    Wait....let's get the new ASE master of all motor vehicle knowledge in here to answer this........................hey. gas mask avatar guy, where are you?
    You realize your response here this ^^^^^^ is a form of TROLLING right? Maybe you should go review the forums rules and guidelines again and get re-acquainted with them? LOL And in the real world you are just would be thought of as being an a&& oooo ! LOL

LOL to respond only because I laughed at your calling description of me being sorta inaccurate I will comment on the "mask" only and not overwhelm your brain with what me full educational background is aside from being ASE for over 30 years. How old are you and were even driving that far back yet? LOL First of all this is a c-a-r forum and if you really were the car enthusiast you think you are you would have said Oxygen Mask. LOL
    I use to race professionally and still hold a NHRA and also SCCA licence and some of my past Race cars one was a Nitro Burning Gas Altered you were required to wear an OXYGEN MASK. Dude!
    During the Super Shops era I acquired the nickname NITRO

As for responding on this thread or for that matter most threads, I DON'T. If there is a thread that catches my interest I am there, otherwise I actually do have other things in my life to do. But hey carry only I did stop and read this thread over coffee and lunch just for you!
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-08-2019 at 05:08 PM.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by aross1974 View Post
    ...but the CEL not illuminating at startup was one of the things happening in conjunction...
    Just clarify, I went to my car and turned the ignition on.

The oil light came on as well as the brake, seatbelt, battery, door ajar, check engine and the ABS light.

After a couple of seconds, the ABS light went out but the CEL light stayed on.

Then I started the car and the CEL turned off as well as the battery light.
    (the seatbelt light stayed on (I wasn't wearing it) and the brake light was on (I didn't release the brake) and the door ajar light was on(door was open).

If your check engine light isn't illuminating then I don't know what's going on.
    Your ECU might not be happy ??
    The Diagram Dude

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by aross1974 View Post
    ... Really manipulated the key and it started while in park...
    That suggests the Transaxle Range switch (or clutch switch if you have a standard) being worn out but if it cranks then that switch is fine.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

Since when is oxygen not a gas? Please, you only overwhelm yourself with your so-called full edumacational background..............but no one else. Your comical superiority complex caught my interest momentarily so not trolling any more than you were/are and when you go into threads inciting folks by acting like only you know anything and eliciting responses based on acting like summer's eve posterboy. Dial your bullshit back and none comes your way. Simple. No one knows it all and that does include you just like me and anyone else. Been driving/repairing/fabbing/modding without any ASE help since early 70s if that matters somehow. This is a M-A-Z-D-A forum and there are SUVs, trucks and roadsters, not just cars....yet another fail.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    That suggests the Transaxle Range switch (or clutch switch if you have a standard) being worn out but if it cranks then that switch is fine.
    Gonna check the voltage in the ignition switch. Like I said sometimes it fires, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s really weird.

Registered Member

protege5

Usually if the check engine light does not illuminate during the bulb check, you'll find one of a few things.

1. The bulb has burned out
    2. The ECU has failed or is failing
    3. There is a wiring issue in the car preventing the ECU from functioning properly.

Since you said the bulb flickers, unlikely it is the bulb. I would start by checking the power and ground inputs to the ECU AND make sure it is getting appropriate power and ground signals at all points. I'm sure PCB can give you a wiring diagram with what pins and colors you need to verify.

If the ECU has power and ground everywhere it is supposed to, chances are it has failed. But carefully check everything before condemning it and forking over cash on any parts. Let us know what you find and we can go from there, but that's where I would start.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed View Post
    Usually if the check engine light does not illuminate during the bulb check, you'll find one of a few things.

1. The bulb has burned out
    2. The ECU has failed or is failing
    3. There is a wiring issue in the car preventing the ECU from functioning properly.

Since you said the bulb flickers, unlikely it is the bulb. I would start by checking the power and ground inputs to the ECU AND make sure it is getting appropriate power and ground signals at all points. I'm sure PCB can give you a wiring diagram with what pins and colors you need to verify.

If the ECU has power and ground everywhere it is supposed to, chances are it has failed. But carefully check everything before condemning it and forking over cash on any parts. Let us know what you find and we can go from there, but that's where I would start.
    Thanks for all the responses guys! Took the steering column apart again, found spliced wires where the ignition switch connects (I’m not the first owner) and the solders were wrapped in electric tape, a couple were exposed. Thinking these were touching metal in there and possibly shorting out. Wrapped everything up with fresh tape (not my first choice) and the car has been starting up fine. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12