2003 Protege5 crank, no start and CEL

aross1974

:
2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
Been trying to figure this one out. Car cranks but not starting, there is no CEL when key is turned to on. Fuel pump relay, ignition switch and battery are new. Main fuse looks fine and doesnt look blown. The CEL flickers for a split second but does not illuminate. Where else do I need to lookonly thing I can think of is its super cold and theres a bad connection somewhere. Got it to start last night after it sat all day. Any help appreciated.

Plugs, coils and wires might be a good place to start.

Here's the big list of possibilities.

Plugs, coils and wires might be a good place to start.

Here's the big list of possibilities.

Thanks for responding. Changed those already so thats out. Fuel pump not getting a signal, the new relay is not clicking so no signal is getting to the fuel pump relay. The CEL does not illuminate at turn on. Flickers then goes out.

... Fuel pump not getting a signal, the new relay is not clicking so no signal is getting to the fuel pump relay...

Is it a new relay ?

They tend to wear out.
There is a lot of current running through it and it's switching on and off all the time while driving.

The connectors in the fuse box tend to get all burnt and can make a bad connection.

You can test your relay but sometimes they only start failing when they're hot.

You may have a bad ignition switch that isn't sending the signal to the relay.
They tend to crap out and that can kill the engine.

Be careful if you order this relay. Make sure you get the right one.
This pic shows both the main relay and the fuel pump relay.
The pins are different.

Oops... Just read that it's a new relay.

You can check the output of the ignition switch to see if it's working but they can behave differently if you wiggle the key around.

Last edited:
Got the new fuel pump relay. Ignition switch was replaced last night. The main relay clicks but thats where the signal to everything stops. The fact that the CEL doesnt stay illuminated with the key switched to on is suspicious. Swapped the main fuse under the dash, that didnt do much. Its weird, last night it started but Im not sure what one thing that made it happen. Ive been pulling the relays and putting them back in, tapping on them... I am stumped. No codes are stored to the ECM.

Hmm...

All I can think of is a bad connection in the fusebox or power isn't getting to or from the ignition switch.

You could try to test for voltage going into and out of the ignition switch and to the fuel pump relay socket.

... The fact that the CEL doesn*t stay illuminated with the key switched to on is suspicious...

All the dash lights come on for a second or two (including the cel) when you first turn the key to "on".

It's to show you that all the bulbs are working.

Last edited:
Hmm...

All I can think of is a bad connection in the fusebox or power isn't getting to or from the ignition switch.

You could try to test for voltage going into and out of the ignition switch and to the fuel pump relay socket.

Thatll be next. I just got the car to start, what I did was neutral, really manipulate the key in the tumbler then the fuel pump primed. Tried it again, no prime. Really manipulated the key and it started while in park. Im thinking its in the ignition circuit as well. I thought bad connection in the box also.

Wait....let's get the new ASE master of all motor vehicle knowledge in here to answer this........................hey. gas mask avatar guy, where are you?

It's possible (but I'm guessing) that fuel pump relay doesn't necessarily turn on when the key is turned to run or start if the fuel pressure is up.
It may not necessarily turn on at every start.

... Really manipulated the key and it started while in park...

Your tumbler may be worn out.
The backside of the tumbler plugs into the ignition switch and if it's all worn out, it may not be rotating far enough to fully rotate the ignition switch.

Wait....let's get the new ASE master of all motor vehicle knowledge in here to answer this........................hey. gas mask avatar guy, where are you?

Yea,.. We need some help here.

I'm sure you know what's wrong with his car.

Your tumbler may be worn out.
The backside of the tumbler plugs into the ignition switch and if it's all worn out, it may not be rotating far enough to fully rotate the ignition switch.

Am in agreement with that. Right now the only thing that makes sense. True the fuel pump doesnt always prime, but the CEL not illuminating at startup was one of the things happening in conjunction. Will try the tumbler and check voltage. Being that shes 15 years old wouldnt surprise me if it was worn out.

You could try removing your ignition switch and with it plugged in, rotate it with a little flathead screwdriver.

You realize your response here this ^^^^^^ is a form of TROLLING right? Maybe you should go review the forums rules and guidelines again and get re-acquainted with them? LOL And in the real world you are just would be thought of as being an a&& oooo ! LOL

LOL to respond only because I laughed at your calling description of me being sorta inaccurate I will comment on the "mask" only and not overwhelm your brain with what me full educational background is aside from being ASE for over 30 years. How old are you and were even driving that far back yet? LOL First of all this is a c-a-r forum and if you really were the car enthusiast you think you are you would have said Oxygen Mask. LOL
I use to race professionally and still hold a NHRA and also SCCA licence and some of my past Race cars one was a Nitro Burning Gas Altered you were required to wear an OXYGEN MASK. Dude!
During the Super Shops era I acquired the nickname NITRO ;)

As for responding on this thread or for that matter most threads, I DON'T. If there is a thread that catches my interest I am there, otherwise I actually do have other things in my life to do. But hey carry only I did stop and read this thread over coffee and lunch just for you!

Last edited:
...but the CEL not illuminating at startup was one of the things happening in conjunction...

Just clarify, I went to my car and turned the ignition on.

The oil light came on as well as the brake, seatbelt, battery, door ajar, check engine and the ABS light.

After a couple of seconds, the ABS light went out but the CEL light stayed on.

Then I started the car and the CEL turned off as well as the battery light.
(the seatbelt light stayed on (I wasn't wearing it) and the brake light was on (I didn't release the brake) and the door ajar light was on(door was open).

If your check engine light isn't illuminating then I don't know what's going on.
Your ECU might not be happy ??

... Really manipulated the key and it started while in park...

That suggests the Transaxle Range switch (or clutch switch if you have a standard) being worn out but if it cranks then that switch is fine.

Since when is oxygen not a gas? Please, you only overwhelm yourself with your so-called full edumacational background..............but no one else. Your comical superiority complex caught my interest momentarily so not trolling any more than you were/are and when you go into threads inciting folks by acting like only you know anything and eliciting responses based on acting like summer's eve posterboy. Dial your bulls*** back and none comes your way. Simple. No one knows it all and that does include you just like me and anyone else. Been driving/repairing/fabbing/modding without any ASE help since early 70s if that matters somehow. This is a M-A-Z-D-A forum and there are SUVs, trucks and roadsters, not just cars....yet another fail.

That suggests the Transaxle Range switch (or clutch switch if you have a standard) being worn out but if it cranks then that switch is fine.

Gonna check the voltage in the ignition switch. Like I said sometimes it fires, sometimes it doesnt. Its really weird.

Back