Bad experiene with Mazda CX-5

rcoakley

:
Mazda CX-5
From personal experience point of view I would stay away from any Skyactive engine in the Mazda CX-5, Mazda 6 or Mazda 3. My engine block cracked after only 72,000kms! with No overheating alarm. Note the Mazda doesnt have a gauge but just a warning light thats goes through a sequence of flashes if there is a problem but by the time that happens youre already too late.
The cost of repair was over 6,500EUR and not long out of warrantee I reached out to Mazda Ireland and Mazda UK and they refused to engage in any helpful discussions as to what could have been the root cause or any compensation. Ive since learnt from getting the engine fixed its a common problem with the Skyactive engine that Mazda is just ignoring.
Ill be going for a car maker with longer warrantee next time. i.e. Not Mazda

member Unobtanium drove over 100k miles, and doesn't seem to have the issues you're having.
(dunno)

Well, I don't know about the CX-5, but my 6 has a temperature gauge.
You just have to toggle through the 6 different info screens (the info display next to the speedometer, not the infotainment screen), using the steering wheel button, and it's there.
Secondly, I've been on this site for over a year now, and this is the first post I've seen regarding a cracked block.
I'd hardly call that a common problem.

Well, I don't know about the CX-5, but my 6 has a temperature gauge.
You just have to toggle through the 6 different info screens (the info display next to the speedometer, not the infotainment screen), using the steering wheel button, and it's there.
Secondly, I've been on this site for over a year now, and this is the first post I've seen regarding a cracked block.
I'd hardly call that a common problem.

Mine has the gauge as described.
Sorry for your bad experience, rcoakley, but it's bad luck, not a general Mazda problem.
That said, those long warranties are totally desirable. Let's hope Mazda updates that policy soon.

OP: I see you are from Ireland. Did you have a diesel?

That's a really good question. Hopefully we'll get an update.
Is the diesel considered a SkyActive engine? (I don't know this stuff. Sorry).

Yes, it*s the Skyactive D and it is very common in Ireland. Mazda are normally very good with *out of warranty gestures* UNLESS there is no maintenance record or evidence of neglect. As a first post, it*s obviously motivated by bitterness but without a lot more background info, I*m not inclined to be concerned by it.

probably diesel.
There are quite a few threads on the internet. mainly overheating. sometimes due to cooling issues. sometimes bad cap pressure, air locked in the system, etc. also probabably the diesel has dpf which needs a purging cycle (especially if driving more in city traffic). which does increase exhaust temperatures, etc.

Yes, it*s the Skyactive D and it is very common in Ireland. Mazda are normally very good with *out of warranty gestures* UNLESS there is no maintenance record or evidence of neglect. As a first post, it*s obviously motivated by bitterness but without a lot more background info, I*m not inclined to be concerned by it.

Not really a first post, they joined back in 2014...

Not really a first post, they joined back in 2014...

3 posts in since joining in July 2014.
We'll probably hear from him again next year.
Btw, I see this all the time on car forums. Some guy signs up, posts once, and then is never heard from again. Why bother?

3 posts in since joining in July 2014.
We'll probably hear from him again next year.
Btw, I see this all the time on car forums. Some guy signs up, posts once, and then is never heard from again. Why bother?

They got what they wanted and it's not a passion. I did the same thing on the fireplace forum when I bought my house. Had some questions. What, am I going to talk about fireplaces for 1+ years?

They got what they wanted and it's not a passion. I did the same thing on the fireplace forum when I bought my house. Had some questions. What, am I going to talk about fireplaces for 1+ years?

Hey, I get that.
I've done it on home renovation sites, but the difference is, I reply to the folks that take the time to answer my questions, or, I reply to those that ask me questions looking for further clarification.
What I don't get is these guys that come on these forums, b**** about stuff, ask a question, and then never come back to acknowledge any responses or help that they were offered.

Hey, I get that.
I've done it on home renovation sites, but the difference is, I reply to the folks that take the time to answer my questions, or, I reply to those that ask me questions looking for further clarification.
What I don't get is these guys that come on these forums, b**** about stuff, ask a question, and then never come back to acknowledge any responses or help that they were offered.
No argument there.

Hey, I get that.
Yep, one-post wonders are very annoying, they should at least come back and give the rest of us the benefit of their outcome.

No, the guy has a right to post as many times as he wants. Unfortunately, he had a bad experience with his Mazda and won't be buying another. However, his logic is flawed in thinking that his issue must be reflective of everyones issue (it might be but he provides no data that allows that comparison to be made).

He doesnt give any details of what meaningful discussion he tried to get with Mazda who are very generous in the U.K. If it had done 72000kms with no record of oil changes then he wouldnt get very far. If there was plenty of supporting evidence, my guess is he would have told us about it. It was his first post on the subject. His previous post was in 2014.

He doesn*t give any details of what meaningful discussion he tried to get with Mazda who are very generous in the U.K. If it had done 72000kms with no record of oil changes then he wouldn*t get very far. If there was plenty of supporting evidence, my guess is he would have told us about it. It was his first post on the subject. His previous post was in 2014.

True. I have known people who never got their oil changed. They did not know you needed to do that.

Back