Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad experiene with Mazda CX-5

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Bad experiene with Mazda CX-5

From personal experience point of view I would stay away from any Skyactive engine in the Mazda CX-5, Mazda 6 or Mazda 3. My engine block cracked after only 72,000kmís! with No overheating alarm. Note the Mazda doesnít have a gauge but just a warning light thatís goes through a sequence of flashes if there is a problem but by the time that happens youíre already too late.
    The cost of repair was over 6,500EUR and not long out of warrantee I reached out to Mazda Ireland and Mazda UK and they refused to engage in any helpful discussions as to what could have been the root cause or any compensation. Iíve since learnt from getting the engine fixed itís a common problem with the Skyactive engine that Mazda is just ignoring.
    Iíll be going for a car maker with longer warrantee next time. i.e. Not Mazda

Registered Member

2016 CX5 Touring AWD

I'm sure if it was a common problem there would be more than just your one post!

Registered Member

2014 Mazda 3 sGT. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

member Unobtanium drove over 100k miles, and doesn't seem to have the issues you're having.

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Well, I don't know about the CX-5, but my 6 has a temperature gauge.
    You just have to toggle through the 6 different info screens (the info display next to the speedometer, not the infotainment screen), using the steering wheel button, and it's there.
    Secondly, I've been on this site for over a year now, and this is the first post I've seen regarding a cracked block.
    I'd hardly call that a common problem.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    Well, I don't know about the CX-5, but my 6 has a temperature gauge.
    You just have to toggle through the 6 different info screens (the info display next to the speedometer, not the infotainment screen), using the steering wheel button, and it's there.
    Secondly, I've been on this site for over a year now, and this is the first post I've seen regarding a cracked block.
    I'd hardly call that a common problem.
    Mine has the gauge as described.
    Sorry for your bad experience, rcoakley, but it's bad luck, not a general Mazda problem.
    That said, those long warranties are totally desirable. Let's hope Mazda updates that policy soon.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    OP: I see you are from Ireland. Did you have a diesel?
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 49K Miles / '07 Infiniti G35x / '12 Lexus GX 460 / '00 Wrangler TJ 4.0L

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    OP: I see you are from Ireland. Did you have a diesel?
    That's a really good question. Hopefully we'll get an update.
    Is the diesel considered a SkyActive engine? (I don't know this stuff. Sorry).

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Yes, it*s the Skyactive D and it is very common in Ireland. Mazda are normally very good with *out of warranty gestures* UNLESS there is no maintenance record or evidence of neglect. As a first post, it*s obviously motivated by bitterness but without a lot more background info, I*m not inclined to be concerned by it.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

probably diesel.
    There are quite a few threads on the internet. mainly overheating. sometimes due to cooling issues. sometimes bad cap pressure, air locked in the system, etc. also probabably the diesel has dpf which needs a purging cycle (especially if driving more in city traffic). which does increase exhaust temperatures, etc.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Yes, it*s the Skyactive D and it is very common in Ireland. Mazda are normally very good with *out of warranty gestures* UNLESS there is no maintenance record or evidence of neglect. As a first post, it*s obviously motivated by bitterness but without a lot more background info, I*m not inclined to be concerned by it.
    Not really a first post, they joined back in 2014...

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Probably a diesel engine, which do suck and blow up.

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Not really a first post, they joined back in 2014...
    3 posts in since joining in July 2014.
    We'll probably hear from him again next year.
    Btw, I see this all the time on car forums. Some guy signs up, posts once, and then is never heard from again. Why bother?

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    3 posts in since joining in July 2014.
    We'll probably hear from him again next year.
    Btw, I see this all the time on car forums. Some guy signs up, posts once, and then is never heard from again. Why bother?
    They got what they wanted and it's not a passion. I did the same thing on the fireplace forum when I bought my house. Had some questions. What, am I going to talk about fireplaces for 1+ years?

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    They got what they wanted and it's not a passion. I did the same thing on the fireplace forum when I bought my house. Had some questions. What, am I going to talk about fireplaces for 1+ years?
    Hey, I get that.
    I've done it on home renovation sites, but the difference is, I reply to the folks that take the time to answer my questions, or, I reply to those that ask me questions looking for further clarification.
    What I don't get is these guys that come on these forums, bitch about stuff, ask a question, and then never come back to acknowledge any responses or help that they were offered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast