Fumoto Valve Question

Probably three different test scenarios

- stock
- w/ Fumoto valve
- w/ Fumoto valve and on ramps

I use ramps when I do mine

Trying to sort through a lot of different opinions in different threads, and I am wondering whether anyone has actually measured the difference in the amount of oil left in the 2.5 CX-5 pan when using a Fumoto valve vs. the standard drain plug? From what I've read, it sounds like the threaded portion of the valve may be slightly longer (3/16" ??) than the thickness of the pan, but since the valve is going in the side of the pan, and not straight up into the bottom, how detrimental of an effect does that extra length actually have?

Trying to sort through a lot of different opinions in different threads, and I am wondering whether anyone has actually measured the difference in the amount of oil left in the 2.5 CX-5 pan when using a Fumoto valve vs. the standard drain plug? From what I've read, it sounds like the threaded portion of the valve may be slightly longer (3/16" ??) than the thickness of the pan, but since the valve is going in the side of the pan, and not straight up into the bottom, how detrimental of an effect does that extra length actually have?
The Fumoto valve is going in the side of the pan, but with 30~45 angle up.

I did an oil change and installed the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). I used an adjustable wrench to get the lever to be on top. The torque spec for the OEM oil plug bolt is 23-30 ft lbs. I don't have a way to check that, so I just cranked it tight.

5E3E7826-8596-4F87-989E-74675627FED7_zpsdnzgnkpb.jpg

This member reported slower drain due to smaller diameter drain hole, and much less oil drained out with Fumoto valve:

Do you think it takes 20-30 minutes to drain?
I did my oil change today. It took less than 15 minutes to drain. Weird part was that only 3.5 quarts came out and I put the required 4.8 qts last time, and this time too.

Some members cut the Fumoto valve thread short to get more complete drain:

Given the concern for not getting all the oil out of the oil pan, I cut about 1.5 threads off the valve after doing my best to measure how deep the threaded part of the pan is. The brass is soft and I was able to clean it up using a small file. I'm looking forward to the next oil change as it should be easy.

Thanks to whoever suggested using plastic shopping bags around the oil filter. That worked great!

And I like this one the most about the Fumoto valve:

When it's done draining, do you remove the valve to let the last bit of old oil to drain out or just call it "good enough for government work"?

It does take longer to drain oil..no doubt about that but I am draining directly into recycle container and one less tool (torque wrench) and crush washer I need to pull out for an oil change.

I didn't measure contents that were removed but considering my 5 quart fill brought it up to that 3/4 line on the dipstick it can't be much.

Maybe it's the ramps?

I've used these on three cars and will be installing one on the CX-5 as soon as I do the first change. Draining my Regal Turbo (6-1/2 qts) always seems completed within 15 minutes and it always takes a full refill - no indication of any significant amount of residual oil left in the pan. I like that I can use tubing to drain the oil directly into an enclosed drain pan. It makes cleanup a breeze - also saves potential wear & tear on the pan threads over time.

An observation:

Did oil change recently on CX-5 on ramps with Fumoto valve. Oil filter already off. I did not want to wait for the old oil to drain until nothing came out. So at about 1 drop every 7 seconds, I poured maybe 1/4 cup of some fresh oil in the engine. I noticed fresh oil spewed out of the valve....perhaps a tiny bit of dirty oil too.

Closed valve, put new filter, replaced cover and oil cap, brought car off ramp and let run for 2 min, measured levels, done.

Back