Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fumoto Valve Question

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel65 View Post
    Inexpensive easy to use very handy and stores as easy as a couple of bicycles. QUICK JACK
    So, is this the same that they sell at Costco for $1k? LINK

If it is, does it work as advertised?

Registered Member

2014 Mazda 6 GT with MRCC

I've had no leaks or issues with Fumoto vales on either Mazda - and I previously used one on the Subaru Impreza I owned for 120,000 miles. I think they're great and make the oil change simpler and cleaner, and you don't have to bother with a crush washer. I am satisfied with the amount of oil I get out each change.

2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring with MRCC - Soul Red with Almond interior
    2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring with Preferred Package - Snowflake White with Charcoal interior

Banned

2018 Mazda

The WEST Region of USA close to RENO and San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    So, is this the same that they sell at Costco for $1k? LINK

If it is, does it work as advertised?
    yes.. PM sent.

Banned

2018 Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel65 View Post
    I have often wondered why some members on various forums are so quick to give advise on parts they personally never tried or physically held one and examined it?
    I just ordered one for shits and giggles so I can maybe see what its all about and if I can improve it? And more importantly actually have the product to make real world experience comments about it!
    well well look what I got today!

Registered Member

Red 2016 CX-5 GT Teck Isense

I took a file and notched the thread side that is opposite the valve handle (as I wanted the handle to be up out of the way of road hazards) so that it would minimize the restriction to oil flow on mine before I installed it.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Installed mine at roughly 15K miles. Now at 65K. Never a leak - works perfectly. Always change oil when my CX-5 is on ramps. Satisfied with how much oil drains. No spills either except from the filter change.

Banned

2018 Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by GAXIBM View Post
    I took a file and notched the thread side that is opposite the valve handle (as I wanted the handle to be up out of the way of road hazards) so that it would minimize the restriction to oil flow on mine before I installed it.
    VERY NICE RESPONSE GAXIBM!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BINGO! And that was the modification to do. You must be an old time JC Whitney customer. I say that because these type of drain valve have been around since the mid 1970's. We all machined or "notched" the threads fo rbetter and more complete oil draining. Another thing depending on the pan you can index the position of the notch with special hardened indexing washers. I also would use loctite blue on the threads for added sealing and security.

Here I had a picture all ready and was setting up my drill press this afternoon... LOL

2018 CX5

A little O.C.D. on this subject....as long as you change your engine oil when you are supposed too that little bit left inside the engine WILL NOT HARM IT. If you are that concerned...install a magnet to collect any metal debris. Fumoto valves are great to use.

Registered Member

19 CX-5 Signature

Still gotta crawl under and deal with the filter. In the end how much time and trouble are you really saving over the oem plug? And now you gotta notch it too? Meh.
    19 CX-5 Signature
    Snowflake White Pearl (aka “white”)

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Fumoto Valve Question

Quote Originally Posted by kone View Post
    Still gotta crawl under and deal with the filter. In the end how much time and trouble are you really saving over the oem plug? And now you gotta notch it too? Meh.
    Exactly. With Fumoto valve you may gain 50 seconds to open the drain, but it takes longer time to actually drain the old oil as the diameter of drain hole on Fumoto valve is much smaller. Your hand may be easier to keep it clean to open a valve, but it still get dirty easily while you’re taking the oil filter down.

How difficult to loose a factory drain plug as long as you have a 8mm Allen hex socket?

Preventing a complete drain aside, more important issue IMO is with Fumoto valve extending through the drain hole, which is in 45° in angle by the way, any heavier metal shavings stays in the pan instead of draining out smoothly with the oil.

As I mentioned before, there’re members here who had taken the oil pan down with Fumoto valve, and was surprised to see how much oil left in the pan.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I drain on ramps so what little is left in there I am fine with. Draining directly into my transport container is also quicker and easier. Much easier and cleaner to obtain oil samples as well. A couple less tools I need to pull out for oil change and no need to worry about torquing oil drain bolt every time and replace crush washer. For me... too many plusses at this point. For better or worse...nothing compelling I have seen that is going to make me remove them at this point. :-)
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 49K Miles / '07 Infiniti G35x / '12 Lexus GX 460 / '00 Wrangler TJ 4.0L

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Fumoto Valve Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    ⋯ no need to worry about torquing oil drain bolt every time and replace crush washer.
    Totally forgot about drain plug washer. Definitely a drawback without a Fumoto valve.

Banned

2018 Mazda

Well that was easy enough. About 20 minutes worth of work, enlarged the drain hole , chamfer the edges, chased the thread and slotted the side for a little more draining capability and replaced the fiber gasket with a aluminum (not really necessary) washer, and then added a creature comfort rubber valve cap.

A little tip when using this type of oil pan valve, to speed up the oil draining remove the oil fill cap prior to opening the valve and drain the oil when it is hot or at least warm.
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-18-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Mazda CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by eaedstrom View Post
    New (year-end 2018) CX-5 owner here..... Not my first Mazda, but my first Mazda SUV, and I've picked up a lot of good info on the forum.

I have used Fumoto valves on several vehicles and plan on installing a F106S (plus snap-off tubing adapter) on the CX-5. I have searched the forum but can't seem to find a definitive statement on whether the Fumoto extension is required on the 2.5L. The Fumoto website only indicates that the extension may be required. Hoping to avoid any surprises when it comes time for the first oil change...

Thanks!
    Going through this thread and I never saw a definitve answer to your question about if the extension is required for the 2.5L. What did you end up getting? I'm wanting to get a Fumoto for my wife's CX-5.

Thanks in advance!
    NEVER FORGET!

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Extension not needed.

I am using the F106N

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f106n.html
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast