New Motor Trend Review Signature CX-5

They seem to be more concerned with fuel economy than anything. Not really what I expect from a car magazine.

"Despite the CR-V's slower acceleration, we'd still recommend comparing the CX-5 2.5T against the Honda, which is EPA-rated at 27/33 mpg with all-wheel drive and a 1.5-liter engine. Thing is, the CX-5 2.5T's extra power and torque will tempt you every time you get behind the wheel, meaning you may not achieve the EPA's 22/27 mpg estimate in the real world. Even if you did, however, that's less driving range and lower fuel economy than the CX-5 2.5 AWD's 24/30 mpg. Depending on how you feel about your role amid increasingly serious news about climate change, owning the gorgeous and entertaining CX-5 2.5T also comes standard with the guilt you may carry from driving a compact crossover with the fuel economy of a larger vehicle. Put another way, the quicker CX-5 2.5T merely manages EPA-rated fuel economy on the highway what the CR-V 1.5 AWD achieves in the city (the more challenging rating for non-hybrids)."[/QUOT

Not only is MT cheerleading for Honda, but they could spare the reader their political views presented as facts: no need for climate change and suggesting feelings of guilt over it to be mentioned in a car review. Let the reader come to his or her own conclusions about the new CX-5s mpg ratings and whether it is a deal breaker or not...the reader doesn't need a lecture on climate change or made to feel guilty for driving a " compact crossover with the fuel economy of a larger vehicle. "

No kidding. Wow. I missed that.

So they rag on the CX5 T mpgs via climate change but wank off to every AMG, RS, and Porsche that consumes gas like a redneck chugging Budweisers on a Saturday night? Mmm-Kay

We've got to remember that Motor Trend is the LEAST enthusiast-oriented car mag. They are absolutely consumer oriented. And totally advertiser-income oriented.

They've never had any credibility with me.

Holy crap! I only pay 2.8% on my used CX5. If they had tried to nearly double the rate!?

So to preface...at the time of buying my CX-5, I had no credit history. Not bad credit. No credit. Suffice to say, if I didn't have the money for something I didn't buy it. I also didn't have any credit cards. I do now, because I understand how credit works now. At the time, the concept of credit and credit score didn't make sense to me.

Anyway, to get a good rate and to reduce their lending risk, I came in with a $12k down-payment figuring I was not interested in selling in a few years, and a $320/mo payment was pretty easy. That got me a 3.9% rate that we agreed on until I went to sign papers which I read very carefully and noticed the finance guy up it to 5.9%. I threw a fit a threatened to take my $12k somewhere else and proceeded to walk out. Finance guy relented and marked it back to the agreed rate.

I think I made one payment with them while otherwise refinancing through my credit union at 2.9% on Monday when they were open again as I bought my CX-5 on a Saturday.

It cost me a lot upfront sure, but figuring how much I saved on interest at the time having no credit, and having resolved in my mind that I was holding onto the car for as long as it would go, figured it was worth the upfront cost as resale, and other value factors during the loan term wouldn't matter in my case.

Now I have good credit and aren't the dumbass 22 year old who didn't know anything anymore. Now I'm turning 28 soon and know a little bit more... ;)

Last edited:
I'm not much of an MT fan, but I do pay attention to Car & Driver, because experience has taught me that they prioritize the same things in a car as I do.

That said, I don't take their input in a vacuum. I read Car & Driver for advice on what vehicles I'm likely to enjoy driving, and then I consult Consumer Reports (or better yet True Delta, at least until they stopped collecting reliability data in mid-2018) to see which of those vehicles won't be a nightmare to own.

And then I do my own research and drive the remaining candidates, often on multiple occasions and in multiple conditions.

So far this has resulted in always buying cars that I enjoy driving and need little or no unscheduled maintenance. Which is far more than I can say for my wife's 2012 Hyundai or my sister's 2014, both of which have needed more warranty repairs in any given year than either my current or past Mazdas needed in 5.

I'm not much of an MT fan, but I do pay attention to Car & Driver, because experience has taught me that they prioritize the same things in a car as I do.

Agreed, C&D is far better than MT. Better knowledge, better attitudes, and better writing.

So to preface...at the time of buying my CX-5, I had no credit history. Not bad credit. No credit. Suffice to say, if I didn't have the money for something I didn't buy it. I also didn't have any credit cards. I do now, because I understand how credit works now. At the time, the concept of credit and credit score didn't make sense to me.

Anyway, to get a good rate and to reduce their lending risk, I came in with a $12k down-payment figuring I was not interested in selling in a few years, and a $320/mo payment was pretty easy. That got me a 3.9% rate that we agreed on until I went to sign papers which I read very carefully and noticed the finance guy up it to 5.9%. I threw a fit a threatened to take my $12k somewhere else and proceeded to walk out. Finance guy relented and marked it back to the agreed rate.

I think I made one payment with them while otherwise refinancing through my credit union at 2.9% on Monday when they were open again as I bought my CX-5 on a Saturday.

It cost me a lot upfront sure, but figuring how much I saved on interest at the time having no credit, and having resolved in my mind that I was holding onto the car for as long as it would go, figured it was worth the upfront cost as resale, and other value factors during the loan term wouldn't matter in my case.

Now I have good credit and aren't the dumbass 22 year old who didn't know anything anymore. Now I'm turning 28 soon and know a little bit more... ;)

Solid. Makes sense and I can relate. The first car I financed when I was 25 ran me 5.0% with $8500ish down for 72mo. Around $1K/mo (I went big, rofl!). When I was 18 or 19, I tried to get my Dad to co-sign on a car with me (something cheap, simply for the sake of having credit history), and he instead helped me get a line of credit. Credit is very important, and I wanted to begin establishing myself. From there, I got 2 CC's (around age 24), and used the hell out of them ( I had simply piddled around with the LOC, largely ignoring it except to make minimum payments on the low balance I carried, because broke college student). Then a few cars. Then some land, and finally a house. The house ended up running me 3.75% APR 30y fixed because of my careful grooming of credit.

Solid. Makes sense and I can relate. The first car I financed when I was 25 ran me 5.0% with $8500ish down for 72mo. Around $1K/mo (I went big, rofl!). When I was 18 or 19, I tried to get my Dad to co-sign on a car with me (something cheap, simply for the sake of having credit history), and he instead helped me get a line of credit. Credit is very important, and I wanted to begin establishing myself. From there, I got 2 CC's (around age 24), and used the hell out of them ( I had simply piddled around with the LOC, largely ignoring it except to make minimum payments on the low balance I carried, because broke college student). Then a few cars. Then some land, and finally a house. The house ended up running me 3.75% APR 30y fixed because of my careful grooming of credit.

Very nice Uno!

Got to ask what car that was that ran $1k/mo with $8500 down for 72 months lol!

With the CX-5, it was $322/mo. at 2.9% with a 48 mo. term. Been payed off almost a couple years now.

Very nice Uno!

Got to ask what car that was that ran $1k/mo with $8500 down for 72 months lol!

With the CX-5, it was $322/mo. at 2.9% with a 48 mo. term. Been payed off almost a couple years now.

I'd bet it was a Vette or something else in the $60k price range.

Credit Scores affects just about everything financial. I'm a 20+ year veteran of the mortgage business. In that time I pulled 15-20k credit reports. If any one is interested how to get the best possible credit history and scores let me know. It's easy, free to do and anyone can do it without help from anyone else. Before you ask, I'm not selling anything just offering to help.

Credit Scores affects just about everything financial. I'm a 20+ year veteran of the mortgage business. In that time I pulled 15-20k credit reports. If any one is interested how to get the best possible credit history and scores let me know. It's easy, free to do and anyone can do it without help from anyone else. Before you ask, I'm not selling anything just offering to help.

Really...we need to talk. My wife and I have this ongoing bet each month who ever gets the highest FICO does the dishes for the rest of the month. FRICK I DID THE DISHES ALL LAST YEAR!!!
rolmao

Really...we need to talk. My wife and I have this ongoing bet each month who ever gets the highest FICO does the dishes for the rest of the month. FRICK I DID THE DISHES ALL LAST YEAR!!!
rolmao

Can't have you doing dishes. PM sent if she continues to beat you then just have to start breaking the dishes or not clean them well...LOL

Not sure what mine is at the moment. I barely glanced at it back when I locked the big three because of some breach.
We have been totally debt free for many years now. I just give myself a loan from one of the accounts when I need and then pay it back like it was a loan.
We bought my wife's car last year and did take a 60 month 0.9% from Honda. All I know is the finance guy said no problem. I still paid off the Honda loan that year just because it bugged me and I did not want to send a monthly check. :)

I encourage anyone that can to get debt free if possible. Life feels a lot less stressful without those things looming.

I'd appreciate a PM as well. My credit was in the toilet 10 years ago, carrying two credit cards and a department card plus a lot of stupid spending. After clearing those cards and paying off my tuition some years ago, my credit is much, much better. I just want to be sure I'm doing everything I can to improve it.

829 is my score! It matters really less if you spread your legs only as wide as your bedsheets are.
Its more of an indicator of how useful an interest paying mule you are.

Not sure what mine is at the moment. I barely glanced at it back when I locked the big three because of some breach.
We have been totally debt free for many years now. I just give myself a loan from one of the accounts when I need and then pay it back like it was a loan.
We bought my wife's car last year and did take a 60 month 0.9% from Honda. All I know is the finance guy said no problem. I still paid off the Honda loan that year just because it bugged me and I did not want to send a monthly check. :)

I encourage anyone that can to get debt free if possible. Life feels a lot less stressful without those things looming.

I'm personally a fan of a car note on a newer vehicle. That + GAP is a form of insurance.

You pay $30K for a vehicle. Cash.

Someone else pays $30K, financed at 0.9% for 60mo. GAP.

6mo-2years later, both of you hit a deer and the car is totalled.

The guy with 0 down + GAP will have lost a lot less money.

Back