New Motor Trend Review Signature CX-5

I'm personally a fan of a car note on a newer vehicle. That + GAP is a form of insurance.

You pay $30K for a vehicle. Cash.

Someone else pays $30K, financed at 0.9% for 60mo. GAP.

That's pretty generalized, as every situation and deal is different. This is also not taking into consideration what type of insurance policy you have.
In general though, if you have any kind of car buying savvy at all, then you should always be able to buy the car for less money if paying cash versus financing it.
There are always cash incentives. You just have to ask and be firm.
I paid cash for my 2017 6, plus I cross shopped at several dealerships. My cash price was better than anything I was offered if I was financing.
I also asked for and got a bunch of free stuff, like tinted windows, side moulding, etc., etc. It pays to ask and to not let yourself be rolled over.

That's pretty generalized, as every situation and deal is different. This is also not taking into consideration what type of insurance policy you have.
In general though, if you have any kind of car buying savvy at all, then you should always be able to buy the car for less money if paying cash versus financing it.
There are always cash incentives. You just have to ask and be firm.
I paid cash for my 2017 6, plus I cross shopped at several dealerships. My cash price was better than anything I was offered if I was financing.
I also asked for and got a bunch of free stuff, like tinted windows, side moulding, etc., etc. It pays to ask and to not let yourself be rolled over.

Dealers make money off financing. They sometimes give on the price if you fi through them. Then you turn sround and refi asap at no cost through your own CU, if its better (likely is).

My thing is, you didnt get $5k or so off, and thats kindof the tipping point where you would break even in my scenario on most vehicles in this range.

Last edited:
829 is my score! It matters really less if you spread your legs only as wide as your bedsheets are.
Its more of an indicator of how useful an interest paying mule you are.

LOL. But credit is used by many companies for much more than just lending. It's used by some businesses for employment, by landlords, by insurance companies, by companies to determine if they want to work another company or individual, etc. I find it interesting and disagree with insurance companies that use credit profiles to partially determine premiums. As an example I have a perfect driving record and perfect credit history so I receive the best possible rates...good for me. But what if someone had a perfect driving record but suck at paying bills and have a lousy credit history. Should the be paying more for their auto insurance...I don't think so but most likely they will.

LOL. But credit is used by many companies for much more than just lending. It's used by some businesses for employment, by landlords, by insurance companies, by companies to determine if they want to work another company or individual, etc. I find it interesting and disagree with insurance companies that use credit profiles to partially determine premiums. As an example I have a perfect driving record and perfect credit history so I receive the best possible rates...good for me. But what if someone had a perfect driving record but suck at paying bills and have a lousy credit history. Should the be paying more for their auto insurance...I don't think so but most likely they will.

Maybe, because they send bills and expect to be paid on time?

Yeah, I wanted to pay cash, but had to use Mazda financing or $1000 K higher price. I got about $4K of list for a 2018 in March. There are 4 Mazda dealers in the area, none of them would be lower with cash. I wound up Financing $10K and paying it off within a few weeks. Paid something like $30 or something in interest.

Artificially low interest rates, like 0% or .9% are another story. But the way the incentives are structured do not always make sense.

Maybe, because they send bills and expect to be paid on time?

Of course they they expect to get paid on time. But let's use the example where home owners insurance is paid with the mortgage payment and the lender pays the insurance company. No risk of the insurance not getting paid but people with credit issues will pay a higher premium in this case too. There is a correlation between bad credit and increase in claims but still if someone has an excellent driving record they should not have to pay higher premiums for auto insurance just because they have less than perfect credit.

Yeah, I wanted to pay cash, but had to use Mazda financing or $1000 K higher price. I got about $4K of list for a 2018 in March. There are 4 Mazda dealers in the area, none of them would be lower with cash. I wound up Financing $10K and paying it off within a few weeks. Paid something like $30 or something in interest.

Artificially low interest rates, like 0% or .9% are another story. But the way the incentives are structured do not always make sense.

Well played, murky!

Of course they they expect to get paid on time. But let's use the example where home owners insurance is paid with the mortgage payment and the lender pays the insurance company. No risk of the insurance not getting paid but people with credit issues will pay a higher premium in this case too. There is a correlation between bad credit and increase in claims but still if someone has an excellent driving record they should not have to pay higher premiums for auto insurance just because they have less than perfect credit.

If you default on that home loan there is.

Well, I pay more because I'm male, regardless of my record, so there's also that. At least your credit score is a reflection of YOUR DECISIONS in life, and not your gender and sex from birth.

That's how I got my CX5 at KBB PP retail and got KBB PP retail in trade value for my Jeep. I went through the dealer at like 4.5%, and then turned around and called my CU and got 2.78% or something the next day.

Even if you default on the home the insurance company gets paid from the lender. The lender has to keep insurance on the home to protect it from perils while they sort out the default by the home owner.

Even if you default on the home the insurance company gets paid from the lender. The lender has to keep insurance on the home to protect it from perils while they sort out the default by the home owner.

yes, but the contract will end as soon as they recoup, unless the new owner goes with them.

Well, I pay more because I'm male, regardless of my record, so there's also that. At least your credit score is a reflection of YOUR DECISIONS in life, and not your gender and sex from birth.
Tell me about it. I get s*** rates despite not having a ticket since 2010, no accidents (none that were my fault, got rear ended in 2015), but I'm male, in my 20s, and live in Denver. :(

I got my '18 cx 5 in August and was offered 0% interest for 60 months (or 1500 off) - a no brainer for me to finance as it would have cost me a lot more to take the full price out of my 401k.

I got my '18 cx 5 in August and was offered 0% interest for 60 months (or 1500 off) - a no brainer for me to finance as it would have cost me a lot more to take the full price out of my 401k.

Never raid your 401k to pay for a car.

Man, talk about thread derailment. Gone from discussing the car and the car review to talking about credit scores and interest rates.

I got a kick out of them saying the 7" screen was small. Really?

Yes, really. For me anyway. It*s ok until it gets cluttered up by two windows (360 and rear view for example). Or the additional lines and stuff. It*s acceptable but compared to monitors in other vehicles it*s at the bottom of the list.

Also the command dial right where your hand sits is brilliant. I think all cars are going to copy this.

Never thought I*d like it but amazing how intuitive the dial, and the entire control section there, is. This old retired guy adapted to it easily with no need to look!

Back