New Motor Trend Review Signature CX-5

What I find odd is that I need to manually put the camera in 360 mode for the reverse lines to turn with the wheel. Just putting in reverse, you get static lines and only the view of the rear.

Yeah, My 370z had trajectory over half a decade ago. Work needed.

What I find odd is that I need to manually put the camera in 360 mode for the reverse lines to turn with the wheel. Just putting in reverse, you get static lines and only the view of the rear.

Agreed, kinda. I do think it*s odd that we don*t have the option to change the default to lines or no lines. However, for me, I like lines off as the default and that is because the picture is kind of small and not not very good quality. The lines crowd it further and I can turn them on when really necessary with simple press of the red button icon thingy.

I owned a current gen CRV for a few months and for me the two cars are so totally different it*s not worth comparing. The CRV is much more utilitarian and low risk, even with its gussied-up new body, kinda like a Subaru Outback (full disclosure I own an 06 Outback which is a fantastic utility, dog-hauler, etc, car).

They all seem the be clinging to the notion that the CX-5 2.5T competition is still CRV and RAV4. IMHO it's really RDX, Q5, XC40 and X3 when you look at features/performance vs. name.

A lot of people buy things because of the name. For me, I don't keep a ShiTTAss.

I keep seeing this on the forum the past week or so. What's going on with the backup cameras?

Worthless at night and in the rain for ours. I love the fact that it now has a turbo. If they could make the seats more comfortable my wife would be ready for a new one. I know I am speaking to the 2014 we own, but the seats are the worst as they are too flat and non supportive. After 80,000 miles they creak as well. I did sit in a 2019 when I had mine in for an oil change and they did seam much better. In fact the entire car felt like it was built better. Shutting the drivers door with the window down closed like a vault. Even Toyota can*t master that feature!

One note: Our tester's engine exhibited a slight boominess just above 1,000 rpmnot a deal-breaker but something we hope is minimized in the future.
This is something Ive noticed on my GTR. When cruising slow like 30 or so with your foot just barely on the accelerator but not actually accelerating, the engine has a strange, somewhat loud drone that almost sounds like a CVT. Im not crazy about it.

At least you GET a 360 Camera. I am your friendly neighbour to the north and in their infinite wisdom, Mazda has decided Canadians do not need a proper camera in our CX-5s. Even the Signature model here only has a backup camera with the resolution of my very first Motorola flip phone, and no trajectory lines of course. My 4 year old Rogue has a 360 camera with trajectory lines. Was hoping to trade it in this year for a fancy new CX-5, but I do a lot of parking in tight spaces and while I really wanted to get back into a Mazda, the lack of cameras has got me thinking if I should wait till next year.

I would have settled for the 360 camera even with its awful low res. Even the Mazda6 here has the 360 camera. Why did they decide not to include it in the Signature CX-5? Mind blowing...

The back up camera on my 2017 $60K Duramax sucks more when wet or dirty. I guess I just look at all these gizmos as simple convenience and it doesn't bother me to turn my head and look...besides I need to stretch :) Not sure how I survived without them my whole life ...LOL

This is the REALITY of what Motor Trend is doing.

Motor Trend has to save face for making the 2018 Honda CRV the 2018 SUV Of The Year. MT has egg on its face for giving the award to an SUV that is now recalled and plagued with engine failures. An engine and SUV that could not be legally sold in China due to its massive engine failures.

That is WHY Motor Trend gave a glancing shout out to the Honda CRV in the Mazda article. The magazine must do damage control and these subtleties is how they do it. There is a science behind it. It's not just random.

I do agree when it comes to CVTs that Honda has the better one but it's STILL a CVT which sucks. I hate CVTs and even with the Honda, the CVT is still a lame CVT.

This is the REALITY of what Motor Trend is doing.

Motor Trend has to save face for making the 2018 Honda CRV the 2018 SUV Of The Year. MT has egg on its face for giving the award to an SUV that is now recalled and plagued with engine failures. An engine and SUV that could not be legally sold in China due to its massive engine failures.

That is WHY Motor Trend gave a glancing shout out to the Honda CRV in the Mazda article. The magazine must do damage control and these subtleties is how they do it. There is a science behind it. It's not just random.

I do agree when it comes to CVTs that Honda has the better one but it's STILL a CVT which sucks. I hate CVTs and even with the Honda, the CVT is still a lame CVT.

A bit over-dramatic...but I guess that's your opinion (uhm)

Bottom line is...Mazda is finally getting some love (I think) from most professional reviewers and may as well be taking away potential customers from Honda, Toyota and others.

A bit over-dramatic...but I guess that's your opinion (uhm)

Bottom line is...Mazda is finally getting some love (I think) from most professional reviewers and may as well be taking away potential customers from Honda, Toyota and others.

Would you feel it over dramatic had that been what pushed you to get a CRV? Say you liked the CX5 and CRV, but were an avid MT fan, and it pushed you to their "pick of the year"...

The back up camera on my 2017 $60K Duramax sucks more when wet or dirty. I guess I just look at all these gizmos as simple convenience and it doesn't bother me to turn my head and look...besides I need to stretch :) Not sure how I survived without them my whole life ...LOL

It's less about the driver. I think everyone knows, or knows of, a kid playing in the drive who got run over because of lack of a camera. Some things you cannot see, the results of which leave you with things you cannot unsee.

Would you feel it over dramatic had that been what pushed you to get a CRV? Say you liked the CX5 and CRV, but were an avid MT fan, and it pushed you to their "pick of the year"...

Unfortunately...I'm not one of those that base my purchase-making decisions based on an award. So I wouldn't feel "over dramatic", since its not likely that a "pick of the year" will sway my decision.

Almost all buyers have that threshold/deal-breaker (e.g. features, power, cargo space, style, etc.) that will tip the scale in choosing between cars. I'm not saying I won't read the reviews and take them in consideration, but in the end, I'm the one making that choice.

It's less about the driver. I think everyone knows, or knows of, a kid playing in the drive who got run over because of lack of a camera. Some things you cannot see, the results of which leave you with things you cannot unsee.

There was a.little sarcasm in my post. I wasn't saying they are not a viable safety feature but the shity backup camera in my Duramax and my CX-5 are more than sufficient to satisfy that need. But people find anything to complaint about. Dam things aren't meant for taking quality pictures.

BTW, I do understand the safety of backup cameras as I have had them on my motorhomes and toy haulers since 1988. Totally a necessity behind a big rig in a campground where kids roam unattended.

Unfortunately...I'm not one of those that base my purchase-making decisions based on an award. So I wouldn't feel "over dramatic", since its not likely that a "pick of the year" will sway my decision.

Almost all buyers have that threshold/deal-breaker (e.g. features, power, cargo space, style, etc.) that will tip the scale in choosing between cars. I'm not saying I won't read the reviews and take them in consideration, but in the end, I'm the one making that choice.

I am. I used to be like you. "Who cares what some rag printed?!" So I bought a Jeep. because I liked everything about it (and still do prefer literally everything about it to my CX5), BUT! I ignored Consumer Reports...and just like they said, it fell apart. It was the best worst vehicle I've owned. So now, if it does poorly in CR, I could care less about anything else. I won't buy it.

There was a.little sarcasm in my post. I wasn't saying they are not a viable safety feature but the shity backup camera in my Duramax and my CX-5 are more than sufficient to satisfy that need. But people find anything to complaint about. Dam things aren't meant for taking quality pictures.

BTW, I do understand the safety of backup cameras as I have had them on my motorhomes and toy haulers since 1988. Totally a necessity behind a big rig in a campground where kids roam unattended.

I get that, but how hard is it to make the picture 1080P? I mean, it's one of the most prominently placed items on the dash. Make it quality. I get where you're coming from, but I also understand the complaint.

I am. I used to be like you. "Who cares what some rag printed?!" So I bought a Jeep. because I liked everything about it (and still do prefer literally everything about it to my CX5), BUT! I ignored Consumer Reports...and just like they said, it fell apart. It was the best worst vehicle I've owned. So now, if it does poorly in CR, I could care less about anything else. I won't buy it.

Well...you're not alone. My in-laws use CR as their baseline for most of their purchases. And it has worked out for them so far.

I read many reviews from the rags and I find them interesting/entertaining but my decission to buy would never be based on them. As an example I searched for a replacement car for my wife for a year. The Signature CX-5 came out and we bought it on Nov 30th after nearly a 4 hour test drive. No reviews to go by atvtgst time, just smart buying sense.

Don't trust anyone else, especially a stranger that is 'paid' to write articles. Do real research and go by seat of the pants. Anyone who bought a CRV based on someone else's opinion was just lazy!
I wholeheartedly agree!
I would not have even considered a new MAZDA but we went on a 1000 mile week end get away and I just had my MINI painted and did not want to drive it so the rental was a 2017 MAZDA. The next trip that same year we rented a FORD. Then again a HONDA. All the trips were about 900-1200 miles and over a 3 or 4 day weekend trip. I never read any reviews and when we decided to add a daily driver to the household the choice was based on the experience driving those 3 rentals. The Honda was just ridiculously priced for what you didn't get, the Ford was close but when we went to MAZDA that MICA BLACK and it had not been prepped still had all the protective skins and tape in the interior and the odometer said .75 miles it said take me home. So in less then 45 minutes drove it home as it was. I wanted to do the detailing myself. IMHO You cant beat going on a long test drive to really get a feel for a vehicle.

Back