New Motor Trend Review Signature CX-5

I wholeheartedly agree!
I would not have even considered a new MAZDA but we went on a 1000 mile week end get away and I just had my MINI painted and did not want to drive it so the rental was a 2017 MAZDA. The next trip that same year we rented a FORD. Then again a HONDA. All the trips were about 900-1200 miles and over a 3 or 4 day weekend trip. I never read any reviews and when we decided to add a daily driver to the household the choice was based on the experience driving those 3 rentals. The Honda was just ridiculously priced for what you didn't get, the Ford was close but when we went to MAZDA that MICA BLACK and it had not been prepped still had all the protective skins and tape in the interior and the odometer said .75 miles it said take me home. So in less then 45 minutes drove it home as it was. I wanted to do the detailing myself. IMHO You cant beat going on a long test drive to really get a feel for a vehicle.

If a test drive was all it was about, I'd have bought another Jeep. Consumer Reports is as close as you can get to actually owning it and seeing what a nightmare or not it will be in 100K miles.

Well...you're not alone. My in-laws use CR as their baseline for most of their purchases. And it has worked out for them so far.

Yup. Their findings parallel my experiences. So I just stick with them on reliability. Everything else, I see for myself, but the ownership experience for me has been defined by "does it break?"

Many people (probably tens of thousands) went out and bought a Honda CRV because MT made it the "SUV of the year" for 2018. Now, these people are stuck with a faulty engine that can experience catastrophic failure. So yes, when MT awards a vehicle "SUV of the year", sales increase for that vehicle. As even the manufacturer then runs with the "Motor Trend SUV of the year" in the advertisements. People believe if a bunch of vehicle reviewers picked this vehicle, it's a great vehicle.

MT does have egg on its face. Could it have predicted the engine debacle? Of course not but by picking it, they promoted a lemon and they have to do some PR damage control now.

I am. I used to be like you. "Who cares what some rag printed?!" So I bought a Jeep. because I liked everything about it (and still do prefer literally everything about it to my CX5), BUT! I ignored Consumer Reports...and just like they said, it fell apart. It was the best worst vehicle I've owned. So now, if it does poorly in CR, I could care less about anything else. I won't buy it.

Jeep is now Motortrends SUV of the year for 2019 so reliability points don*t factor in the scoring!

Many people (probably tens of thousands) went out and bought a Honda CRV because MT made it the "SUV of the year" for 2018. Now, these people are stuck with a faulty engine that can experience catastrophic failure. So yes, when MT awards a vehicle "SUV of the year", sales increase for that vehicle. As even the manufacturer then runs with the "Motor Trend SUV of the year" in the advertisements. People believe if a bunch of vehicle reviewers picked this vehicle, it's a great vehicle.

MT does have egg on its face. Could it have predicted the engine debacle? Of course not but by picking it, they promoted a lemon and they have to do some PR damage control now.

I had test driven the CR-V and really liked it. Recommended it to my aunt and even sent her some of these reviews and things highlighting how great it was. Honestly, I did feel bad after hearing about the engine issues but she does not mind. What is nuts is the dealers are blatantly lying to her. Telling her things like "you can never have too much oil" and a very rare issue and such. She has no concerns but I have a fear that if something happens to the car, she will be forced to pay a lot to fix it but I am embarrassed to discuss this with her. ):

Just saw the mag; MT considered over thirty SUV/CUV's, but not the CX 5! What's with that?

Jeep is now Motortrends SUV of the year for 2019 so reliability points don*t factor in the scoring!

That's why I say the rags like MT are good for entertainment and maybe some test results against the clock. Cars people purchase have to meet their needs of the buyer AND they need to look at long term results combined with company history. As an example; I still wont buy a Hyundai/Kia because of the s*** they put out in the '90's ...LOL

That's why I say the rags like MT are good for entertainment and maybe some test results against the clock. Cars people purchase have to meet their needs of the buyer AND they need to look at long term results combined with company history. As an example; I still wont buy a Hyundai/Kia because of the s*** they put out in the '90's ...LOL

To be fair, my Dad's 2006 Kia Sportage is still kicking. It's been solidly reliable for him. I know another person with a 2008 and they likewise have nothing but good things to say. Is a Kia for me? No. But they are certainly a far cry from what they were in the 90's.

This long term company history you speak of is why people just blindly buy Hondas and Toyotas and ignore Mazda and other brands like that, assuming that the history of reliability they had decades ago is still the same. Hell, before I bought my CX-5, my impression of Mazda was that they were pieces of Ford s***. Things change.

This long term company history you speak of is why people just blindly buy Hondas and Toyotas and ignore Mazda and other brands like that, assuming that the history of reliability they had decades ago is still the same. Hell, before I bought my CX-5, my impression of Mazda was that they were pieces of Ford s***. Things change.

Past Performance Is Not Indicative Of Future Results.
Except when it is.
Hate to tell you, Sig, but the Koreans have caught up to the Japanese in most areas. And they've got better warranties to back it up.

Hate to tell you, Sig, but the Koreans have caught up to the Japanese in most areas. And they've got better warranties to back it up.

This is true, if only their sales tactics would also evolve. I was very close to purchasing a 2019 Santa Fe Ult. 2.0. The VIN etching, Ziebart, Scotchgard, etc... (must haves) ruined it for me. Not to mention the 2% sales tax error in their favor, which would have been "corrected" in the finance office. I literately had to pry my old car keys out of their hands to leave. The Mazda dealer experience was so much more professional. Easy negotiations and no up-sells that couldn't be easily refused.

They seem to be more concerned with fuel economy than anything. Not really what I expect from a car magazine.

"Despite the CR-V's slower acceleration, we'd still recommend comparing the CX-5 2.5T against the Honda, which is EPA-rated at 27/33 mpg with all-wheel drive and a 1.5-liter engine. Thing is, the CX-5 2.5T's extra power and torque will tempt you every time you get behind the wheel, meaning you may not achieve the EPA's 22/27 mpg estimate in the real world. Even if you did, however, that's less driving range and lower fuel economy than the CX-5 2.5 AWD's 24/30 mpg. Depending on how you feel about your role amid increasingly serious news about climate change, owning the gorgeous and entertaining CX-5 2.5T also comes standard with the guilt you may carry from driving a compact crossover with the fuel economy of a larger vehicle. Put another way, the quicker CX-5 2.5T merely manages EPA-rated fuel economy on the highway what the CR-V 1.5 AWD achieves in the city (the more challenging rating for non-hybrids)."[/QUOT

Not only is MT cheerleading for Honda, but they could spare the reader their political views presented as facts: no need for climate change and suggesting feelings of guilt over it to be mentioned in a car review. Let the reader come to his or her own conclusions about the new CX-5s mpg ratings and whether it is a deal breaker or not...the reader doesn't need a lecture on climate change or made to feel guilty for driving a " compact crossover with the fuel economy of a larger vehicle. "

To be fair, my Dad's 2006 Kia Sportage is still kicking. It's been solidly reliable for him. I know another person with a 2008 and they likewise have nothing but good things to say. Is a Kia for me? No. But they are certainly a far cry from what they were in the 90's.

Except when it is.

Correct.

This is true, if only their sales tactics would also evolve. I was very close to purchasing a 2019 Santa Fe Ult. 2.0. The VIN etching, Ziebart, Scotchgard, etc... (must haves) ruined it for me. Not to mention the 2% sales tax error in their favor, which would have been "corrected" in the finance office. I literately had to pry my old car keys out of their hands to leave. The Mazda dealer experience was so much more professional. Easy negotiations and no up-sells that couldn't be easily refused.

Sounds like a stealership problem more than a Hyundai problem to me. There are Mazda and all car maker stealerships trying the same sales tactic bulls***...Sad, but true.

Sounds like a stealership problem more than a Hyundai problem to me. There are Mazda and all car maker stealerships trying the same sales tactic bulls***...Sad, but true.
Agreed. Mazda dealer tried to add 2 percentage points to my finance rate on the way out. Wasn't having it and they relented.

So they rag on the CX5 T mpgs via climate change but wank off to every AMG, RS, and Porsche that consumes gas like a redneck chugging Budweisers on a Saturday night? Mmm-Kay

Except when it is.

They are what the Japanese were, in this market, basically. I won't lie, if Hyundai came out with something I liked, I'd buy it. The Kona for example slaughters the CX3. Absolutely tears it up like soft bread, when you get the performance model. It's on par with/better than the new turbo CX5.

Back