2013 Mazda CX5 Touring Wont Start

arnolj25

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I own a 2013 Mazda CX-5 with close to 72,000 miles on it. I have tried to turn my car on, but to no avail. When I depress the brake pedal the start button lights up green so it is recognizing the key, but only turns the car to the on position where all of the electronics seem to be operating at a norm. The first 2 times that I try to turn the car on there seems to be a short crank, but then stops and after 3 times there is no cranking at all. Could this be a starter issue because I also tried attaching a battery to help jump start the car, but that did nothing either. Since the key is being recognized by the car and all of the electronics work such as the power windows, radio, lights, and locking the vehicle I suspect it is a faulty starter. Would anyone be able to give some insight to this issue?

Thank You!

could be faulty starter, could also be the sensor in the break pedal. This comes to my mind at first glance.

How old is the battery? Original? You could run a load test on it. Might have enough juice to wake up but not enough to crank.

How old is the battery? Original? You could run a load test on it. Might have enough juice to wake up but not enough to crank.

(friday)
what shadonoz said...

Starter is very unlikely. If your START/STOP light goes green when you press the brake pedal, that means brake switch is working.

Make certain transmission is in PARK while you are attempting to start.
If the PARK safety switch is faulty, it can prevent the car from starting too. You can try to press forward or down, or wiggle on the transmission lever while it is in PARK, all the while attempting to start by pressing the START/STOP button.

INSPECT BATTERY TERMINALS, and Load Test battery.

Last edited:
Check the battery first, regardless of the unsuccessful jump.

In the video I have given an update on the situation. I am waiting to get a battery tester to determine if this is the culprit to the issue. I am also in a bind because I live in NYC and had parked the car in a tight parking spot and am not sure how a tow truck would go about towing the vehicle to a shop if needed.

You haven't answered the most important question. Is it the original battery? If so, don't wast your time testing the damn thing, just replace it. It probably wouldn't start with a jump because it's got a direct short in one or more of the cells. Six years is all you can expect from an OE battery. Yours has all the symptoms of battery failure. An yes, dash lights and accessories will often work with a bad battery, but there's not enough life left to provide adequate power to the starter.

You haven't answered the most important question. Is it the original battery? If so, don't wast your time testing the damn thing, just replace it. It probably wouldn't start with a jump because it's got a direct short in one or more of the cells. Six years is all you can expect from an OE battery. Yours has all the symptoms of battery failure. An yes, dash lights and accessories will often work with a bad battery, but there's not enough life left to provide adequate power to the starter.

Just replaced my 6 year old OE battery. It was definitely time. Can pick one up for $75 at Costco.

6 years, that is a very long life, for an oem battery. My Costco battery, is already two years old and I'm only, at 48k miles.

Assuming car battery is ok-ish. (Check this).

I see your button flashes amber.

This is from the manual doc. Two different procedures. The second is if the batt inside the key is low/dead.

(Forced engine starting method)
If the KEY warning light (red) illuminates,
or the push button start indicator light
(amber) flashes, this could indicate that the
engine may not start using the usual
starting method. Have your vehicle
inspected at an Authorized Mazda Dealer
as soon as possible. If this occurs, the
engine can be force-started. Press and hold
the push button start until the engine starts.
Other procedures necessary for starting the
engine such as having the key in the cabin,
and depressing the clutch pedal (manual
transaxle) or the brake pedal (automatic
transaxle) are required.
l When the engine is force-started, the KEY
warning light (red) remains illuminated and
the push button start indicator light
(amber) remains flashing.

Note:
When the shift lever is in the neutral (N)
position, the KEY indicator light (green)
and the push button start indicator light
(green) do not illuminate.

If the engine cannot be started due to a
dead key battery, the engine can be started
using the following procedure:
1. Depress the brake pedal (automatic
transaxle) or fully depress the clutch
pedal (manual transaxle).
2.Verify that the push button start
indicator light (green) flashes.
3. Touch the push button start using the
backside of the key (as shown) while