2017~2024 20 wheel weights on brand new 2019?

blwag

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
I just picked up a new 2019 CX-5 Signature last night. I didn't notice until this morning that one wheel has 20x "5" wheel weights on it. I'm guessing these are 5 grams, meaning its ~3.5 ounces. That seems excessive to me from the factory. The other 3 wheels range from 0-5 weights on them.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

That does seem like a lot of weight.

Is the yellow dot on the sidewall near the valve stem?

Perhaps the balancer was off that day.

Unless you are experiencing a vibration that you can say is suspected to an unbalanced tire/wheel then the weights to balance the assemble is not abnormal. You could attempt to contact your dealership and have them check the balance of that one wheel. 3.5 is not out of line for balancing.
I do my own balancing and carefully and meticulously place the weights but many times will still have plus 3.0 OZ. to zero balance.

The marking on the tires to indicate the heavy side or to match align with valve stem is not used much anymore because of the hyper accuracy of some of the balance machines used in the industry now. To be clear you could spend an hour or so to bust the bead and rotate the tire on the wheel to find the best position prior adding weights! lol
I might add if you have already acquired miles on any combination rotating the tire on the wheel at this point is counter productive because of a wear or break in pattern has already been started on that combination.
Those who Road Race, or are in the selling and installing of tire and wheels mostly aftermarket wheels understand and know this and what I am talking about .
[url=https://postimg.cc/hzWZLhG1][/URL]
This is in my home garage not the shop....

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the weight is due solely to the tire. I was just concerned that it may indicate a potential problem with the wheel itself. If it's just the tire, I feel a bit better. I've owned a few cars and am obviously familiar with wheel weights, it just seemed like a lot, especially brand new.

To answer your questions.

1. Yes, there is a yellow dot in close proximity to the red dot. The valve is on the red dot. The wheel weight is directly across from the red/yellow dots. It was just the shear number that caught my eye.
attachment.php

2. No vibrations were observed in the 82 miles I drove yesterday. Odometer is at 89 miles, so I haven't gone through a tire rotation yet.

I'll be back at the dealer next week at some point as they are installing a clear bra and a few accessories. I'll ask them to re-balance that tire while it's there.

Attachments

• 20190107_013853378_iOS (2).jpg
    20190107_013853378_iOS (2).jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 1,391
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the weight is due solely to the tire. I was just concerned that it may indicate a potential problem with the wheel itself. If it's just the tire, I feel a bit better. I've owned a few cars and am obviously familiar with wheel weights, it just seemed like a lot, especially brand new.
2. No vibrations were observed in the 82 miles I drove yesterday. Odometer is at 89 miles, so I haven't gone through a tire rotation yet.
I'll be back at the dealer next week at some point as they are installing a clear bra and a few accessories. I'll ask them to re-balance that tire while it's there.

You will most likely get a different number value when you re-balance your tire/wheel. As I said once you acquire miles the weight will change for various reasons.
Peace of mind is always number one when ever you have a question regarding any aspect of your vehicle.
I use Firestone instead of our shop to balance my tire/wheel combo only because their balancer is newer and actually one of the best in the industry. The manager hates/likes me because even though I stand outside the yellow plastic chain I am instructing his techie how to use the machine and how to balance my wheel. LOL. Then I take the wheel home double check the balance with my floor bubble balance indicator mark and log the wheel weights, remove them, clean the area and re-install my own personal wheel weights. Mostly because I paint them to match the color of the back of the wheel. Oh I forgot to mention before Firestone balances any of my wheels I remove all the wheel weights and clean the area they were attached to, and then clean the tire and wheels and carefully and meticulously remove every thing in the treads. All the accumulated little pebbles that bury themselves in the thread during daily driving. Yup major OCD when it come to my vehicles and someone else touching them for any service ...LOL

Last edited:
So, for kicks and giggles, I took a closer look at the wheels of my wife's 2015 Toyota Sienna. It's still running factory wheels and tires. Holy cow. Every wheel had a massive amount of weights attached. And not just 5 gram weights, in multiple cases there were 75 gram weights used. The worst (if that's even the right phrase here) wheel had a little more than 7 ounces attached; and these are 18 inch wheels. The van has a little more than 20k miles on it and we've never had a problem.

Needless to say, I guess I'm worrying about nothing...as the internet and these forums sometimes invite you to do. :)

Last edited:
The extra weights are for offsetting the tire pressure monitor on the other side, not uncommon when you have one of these gadgets in your wheel. CX5 started using them in 2017. If there's no vibration then you're good to go.

Last edited:
I'm quite sure if you had the wheel put on a Hunter Road Force balancer, you'd use less weights however as madar mentions, it's probably due to the TPMS sensor being offset.

Seeing the Red and Yellow dots so close together indicates the tire is fairly uniform in the high and low spot for that tire.

Back