2013 Trasmission whine at 43k.

Mjmodel

:
Mazda CX-5
I have a 2013 CX-5 TOURING that has developed whine which changes pitch with vehicle speed. Dealer says needs new tranny, $4950. Of course, the extended warranty expired 6 mo ago. I see a TSB 05-005-15-3027A that might be the issue. Anyone get Mazda to step and fix this post warranty?

I would contact Mazda corporate to see if they will at least share the cost. How many miles on the unit? If low miles and just over the warranty time then you might have a better chance, Ed

To OP, get the case number from your dealer and contact Mazda 800 number.
Be nice and plead your case. No need to shout and argue.
(your anger is understandable. I would be angry, too)
Usually, Mazda would be reasonable enough to share cost with you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 CX-5 TOURING that has developed whine which changes pitch with vehicle speed. Dealer says needs new tranny, $4950. Of course, the extended warranty expired 6 mo ago. I see a TSB 05-005-15-3027A that might be the issue. Anyone get Mazda to step and fix this post warranty?
Your whine issue is from transmission's front input shaft bearing and it's vary typical from early SkyActiv-Drive transmission due to a bad design. Mazda had to change the front casing of the transmission to prevent the issue for later productions. Call Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations to seek some help like others had said. Mention the low miles and TSB, and hope the best.

If the effort fails, go get a used SkyActiv-Drive transmission that would be much cheaper. But make sure to get a later production with improved front casing, or the one you got will have the same issue sooner or later.

Update "2013 Transmission whine at 43k"

Called Mazda Customer Experience Center on Monday Jan 7, as suggested by others, and stated the case based upon low miles, TSB, and recently expired extended warranty. Was told to wait a couple of days for reply. After a couple of days and no response, called Customer Experience Center again and was told dealer needed to supply information and wait another couple of days. No reply again, so another call to Customer Experience Center, and was told dealer provided required diagnostic information, and the case was being reviewed at higher levels to get best possible outcome, and give it another few days. Finally on Jan 16, received call from Customer Experience Center that "Mazda will be covering majority of the repair leaving me with $1000.00+tax. Please be advised this is not being covered under warranty and this is purely goodwill." Dealer also called me within an hour to schedule service. After a week for new trany to arrive from Texas, car went in last Thursday 1/24, and was finished today 1/29. Though not happy having to fork out a Grand for a Mazda design flaw, contacting Customer Experience Center was a good move; thanks to all for the advice.

Your whine issue is from transmission's front input shaft bearing and it's vary typical from early SkyActiv-Drive transmission due to a bad design. Mazda had to change the front casing of the transmission to prevent the issue for later productions. Call Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations to seek some help like others had said. Mention the low miles and TSB, and hope the best.

If the effort fails, go get a used SkyActiv-Drive transmission that would be much cheaper. But make sure to get a later production with improved front casing, or the one you got will have the same issue sooner or later.

When did that part get updated?

Called Mazda Customer Experience Center on Monday Jan 7, as suggested by others, and stated the case based upon low miles, TSB, and recently expired extended warranty. Was told to wait a couple of days for reply. After a couple of days and no response, called Customer Experience Center again and was told dealer needed to supply information and wait another couple of days. No reply again, so another call to Customer Experience Center, and was told dealer provided required diagnostic information, and the case was being reviewed at higher levels to get best possible outcome, and give it another few days. Finally on Jan 16, received call from Customer Experience Center that "Mazda will be covering majority of the repair leaving me with $1000.00+tax. Please be advised this is not being covered under warranty and this is purely goodwill." Dealer also called me within an hour to schedule service. After a week for new trany to arrive from Texas, car went in last Thursday 1/24, and was finished today 1/29. Though not happy having to fork out a Grand for a Mazda design flaw, contacting Customer Experience Center was a good move; thanks to all for the advice.

Thanks for the update.

Based on the TSB 05-004/14,
2013-2014 CX-5 with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013) has older version of front casing SkyActiv-Drive transmission.
Thank you, looks like I am good. Mine was produced January 2013, but my VIN is higher than that.

When did that part get updated?
Based on the TSB 05-004/14,
2013-2014 CX-5s with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013) has older version of front casing on their SkyActiv-Drive transmission.

Thank you, looks like I am good. Mine was produced January 2013, but my VIN is higher than that.
Not trying to scare you, but if your 2014 CX-5 was assemblied in Jan. 2013 which is 10 months earlier than the affected date range of the TSB, my feeling is your CX-5 does have older version of the transmission, even though the VIN is not in the range.

Not trying to scare you, but if your 2014 CX-5 was assemblied in Jan. 2013 which is 10 months earlier than the affected date range of the TSB, my feeling is your CX-5 does have older version of the transmission, even though the VIN is not in the range.
Not scared I am at 77k miles now.

If anything does happen though, will now know the TSB.

Thanks for the update. Its your own effort gathering as much information as possible on SkyActiv-Drive transmission issues with related TSB so that you can have enough weapon talking to Mazda rep. And we appreciate your post so that many other early CX-5 owners under similar situation can follow suit getting some help from Mazda.

Keep in mind that your new transmission from Texas most likely is a rebuild unless Mazda ran out of the stock. For $1,000 getting a factory rebuilt transmission is a pretty good deal under your circumstances. Have you found out how long the warranty will be on your replacement transmission? You may try to negotiate a longer term of transmission warranty if youre going to keep your CX-5 for a long time.

Colorado driver--- my 2014 cx-5 was produced in september of 2013 and has the last 6 digits of the vin number lower than the serial number listed in the tsb which per tsb puts mine having the old style tranny housing.How is it that your car was produced 8 or 9 months before mine and yet your serial number is HIGHER than the cutoff? How did you decode your vin? Jmaz

Colorado driver--- my 2014 cx-5 was produced in september of 2013 and has the last 6 digits of the vin number lower than the serial number listed in the tsb which per tsb puts mine having the old style tranny housing.How is it that your car was produced 8 or 9 months before mine and yet your serial number is HIGHER than the cutoff? How did you decode your vin? Jmaz
Perhaps I need to go farther and don't know how to read a VIN, but my VIN starts JM3KE4 whereas it says affected are lower than JM3KE2?

Not scared I am at 77k miles now.

If anything does happen though, will now know the TSB.
Mjmodels 2013 CX-5 has only 43K miles with just expired factory(?) extended warranty. I believe he has valid reason to get some help from Mazda.

On the other hand, you changed the ATF, which may help to prolong the life of transmission front bearing ⋯

Perhaps I need to go farther and don't know how to read a VIN, but my VIN starts JM3KE4 whereas it says affected are lower than JM3KE2?
More specifically, read transmission serial number to make sure.

From the link of TSB 05-005/15 provided by Mjmodel:

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2013-2014 CX-5 (SKYACTIV A/T) with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013)

This is caused by a damaged bearing in the transaxle due to improper configuration of the transaxle case. A modification has now been implemented on automatic transaxles with the serial number 3TR1111680 and higher or 3TD1104906 and higher. The serial number can be found on top of the transaxle case near the manual shaft lever.

Colorado Driver -- it's encouraging to know that you's is fine at 77K miles.Mine is only at 34K but haven't changed tranny fluid yet.Was planning to do it before 50K miles.
As far as decoding the VIN numbers,I am going by the last 6 numbers which is the actual S/N of the vehicle.The preceding numbers/letters are build location ,options,etc.
Still I find it a bit confusing. Jmaz

Colorado Driver -- it's encouraging to know that you's is fine at 77K miles.Mine is only at 34K but haven't changed tranny fluid yet.Was planning to do it before 50K miles.
As far as decoding the VIN numbers,I am going by the last 6 numbers which is the actual S/N of the vehicle.The preceding numbers/letters are build location ,options,etc.
Still I find it a bit confusing. Jmaz
Ah good to know on VINs.

Yeah, so far so good.

Back