Newbie here! Taking a look at a CX-9 Today and would like to hear your thoughts!

JaredB3000

:
2008 mazda cx-9
Found a really nice one owner 2008 Touring CX-9 with 150K on it. From some general searches it seems like these are quite reliable when well maintained, which this one certainly is.

Coming from mostly owning Toyota's and utilizing forums over there, I thought I'd throw it out there to the Mazda heads!

My main questions:

how is the longevity of the transmission, drivetrain & motor on these?

Any reasons I might want to avoid this year?

Thanks much yall!

I owned a 2008 CX 9 Touring, with about 125000 miles on it when it was totaled in an accident. Up to that point, it was a great vehicle. Zero issues. I did my own drain an fill, on the trans at about 950000 miles.
Never had any problems.

So I drove my first CX9 today shortly after having hastily made my earlier post, thinking I might have come across quite a good deal. Instead I drove a rust belt vehicle which I was originally lead to believe was not the case...

None the none- I definitely fell in love with this car's size, comfort, and utility based on my needs and would like to find the right one...

The seller of this first one I looked at mentioned that some AWD CX9 years have problems with the AWD drivetrain. Bias perhaps? He was trying to sell me a FWD that was listed as an AWD...

I'm going to do some deeper research into the topic on this here forum but wanted to run this convo by yall and see if it adds up before I look at any more of these... I'm partial to AWD, preferably the type that is not full time AWD, but selectable...

I'll also mention that per my price range, I'll be shopping for a 2007-2012 model. Preferable buying from a private seller, but may consider a dealer if its the right car...

I do appreciate any and all input and look forward to learning from you folks!

08 is a good year, if I do say so myself. I've had very little problems with my 08 currently at 101k. Rear shocks started to leak, wiper cap broke, and a blower relay went out early on. That is it so far. Yeah concerning all wheel drive stay away like the plauge. They have a bolt-in Ford edge transfer case that you want nothing to do with. Later models they finally introduced a drain plug. The other problem to be aware of is the water pump....there is a class action suite right now for the cx-9/lincoln/ford for the water pumps failing and throwing coolant into the oil which quickly kills the motor. But its few and far between and knock on wood i haven't observed any low coolant yet but am considering replacing my water pump this summer just as a precaution. They also do go through brakes pretty regularly because the brakes are a little too small given the weight of the vehicle, in my opinion. Good luck!

Back