Planning to trade-in new CRV with CX-5

5 minutes of driving on the other hand, and my CX-5 heater is heating it up nicely.

Warm it up first, it takes like 2 driving minutes. :D

66347c69832bdee15b1fcb99a4b6370c.1000x562x1.jpg

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee at one point and I will absolutely agree it warmed up fairly quick just idling in the driveway...until later in it's life.

My CX-5 on the other hand? Warms up much faster just driving it. I don't understand why anyone would just leave it idling in the driveway unless they want to do so for 20+ minutes. 5 minutes of driving on the other hand, and my CX-5 heater is heating it up nicely.

Mine takes forever. Not so much to get hot, but because there is no insulation the cold intrusion occurs nearly as fast as the heat, until you've driven for 20-30 minutes.

Mine takes forever. Not so much to get hot, but because there is no insulation the cold intrusion occurs nearly as fast as the heat, until you've driven for 20-30 minutes.

Yeah. If I turn the heater off, cold gets back in quick for sure. But the heater itself heats up pretty fast...once I start driving. Idling? Takes forever.

Mainly, I miss my jeep's climate control. I think the higher trim level CX5's have it though.

Yup the GT we have has it. Also gen 2 insulation advantage!

The CX-5 doesnt warm up as fast as my GTI or ST did but its faster than a lot of other stuff I have owned. So its at least above average imo.

Oh and gen 2 also has vents for the 2nd row.

Last edited:
Yup the GT we have has it. Also gen 2 insulation advantage!

The CX-5 doesn*t warm up as fast as my GTI or ST did but it*s faster than a lot of other stuff I have owned. So it*s at least above average imo.

Oh and gen 2 also has vents for the 2nd row.

It will be a nice upgrade when I wear my gen 1 out.

I went over to a CRV forum to read about the heat issue and wow. Seems odd to me as in other small turbo products Ive found it to be the opposite so I wonder what Honda is doing wrong here. Maybe they need to design a cooling system with multiple circuits. I believe this in combination with the water cooled exhaust is why the GTI provides heat so quickly even in extremely cold conditions. ST Ecoboost also had water cooled exhaust but I dont remember if it could isolate that circuit the way the EA888 can.

I went over to a CRV forum to read about the heat issue and wow. Seems odd to me as in other small turbo products Ive found it to be the opposite so I wonder what Honda is doing wrong here.

We have the most recent Civic with the same basic engine and the heating is fine. Smaller interior though of course.

Yea I dont know as I dont have first hand experience with the CRV or Civic in cold weather. But with as many people that are complaining there must be something to it. Just seems really perplexing to me.

Back