Planning to trade-in new CRV with CX-5

Yes. Lots of data to show that driving the car warms up the car much faster than idling it. Not to mention that idling results in zero MPG and pollutes a ton more.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/coldweather.shtml

...and a cold idling engine is running very rich. The rich condition is washing lubricant off the cylinder walls and creating a high wear situation. I never let a cold engine idle for more then a few seconds after startup.

Yup letting it idle to warm up is definitely worse for the car. This is why Im not a fan of remote start.

...and a cold idling engine is running very rich. The rich condition is washing lubricant off the cylinder walls and creating a high wear situation. I never let a cold engine idle for more then a few seconds after startup.

Yep, the only mention in the manual for warm up time says 10 seconds. Nothing else. So folks worried that idling is needed on cold days the horse's mouth says 10 seconds only.

As far as the CRV goes, it comes with remote start standard. This is why quite a few CRV owners complain it does not warm up at all while idling. However, the heat issues some CRV owners speak of know they need to drive to warm up the car, but it just doesn't warm up (unless at highway speeds). That's a completely different problem than warming up once driving.

My experience with the CX5 is the coolant takes a while to get to 210 F on very cold days but so has all of my previous 4 bangers. Even my wife's 17 Sienna that's a V6 takes just as long for the coolant to get to temp. The big difference is that it blowing nice and warm air well before the coolant gets to temp. The CRV with the heating issues don't.

And thats a good callout. People in this forum like to get really pedantic. I think the OP definitely is just meaning warmed up as in I get warm air from the vents. Not the coolant and oil are at their ideal operating temperature.

And honestly thats what most normal people mean by warmed up.

I really don't think so. Not in modern EFI/DI engines.

I really don't think so. Not in modern EFI/DI engines.

I agree with this. When the car is started in cold weather, the idle is high as well as the oil pressure. It is best to let it warm up at least until the idle drops down. I let mine idle for about two minutes in cold weather, at least until it is thoroughly broken in.

Yup letting it idle to warm up is definitely worse for the car. This is why Im not a fan of remote start.

Same here. Start it up, put my seatbelt on, put it into gear and go. It's how I've driven all of my cars in temps as cold as -45c, though on slower startups I do give the car a few extra seconds for the RPM to settle.

And thats a good callout. People in this forum like to get really pedantic. I think the OP definitely is just meaning warmed up as in I get warm air from the vents. Not the coolant and oil are at their ideal operating temperature.
And honestly thats what most normal people mean by warmed up.

You're right. My bad banging on the 70 degree thing. He's not expecting 70 degrees in 10 idle minutes. He wants to know how long it takes to get to 70... I wouldn't really know... better question would be when are you comfortable? LOL
I idle my car a lot and it starts blowing warmer air significantly quicker once I start moving then it does without a brief warmup.

The main thing imo that missing is the ambient temperature. Is it 50 F (some consider this cold) or 5 F (actually cold). Makes a big difference in how long itll take a car to provide a warm cabin.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee at one point and I will absolutely agree it warmed up fairly quick just idling in the driveway...until later in it's life.

My CX-5 on the other hand? Warms up much faster just driving it. I don't understand why anyone would just leave it idling in the driveway unless they want to do so for 20+ minutes. 5 minutes of driving on the other hand, and my CX-5 heater is heating it up nicely.

Because gas is cheap and they dont want to be uncomfortable even if its only a coupe minutes.

OP where are you??
Wondering if there are any "traded cx5 for CR-V" in other forums.

Back