Leather seat issue?

Starman

:
2018 Mazda 6 GTR
Hi everyone just recently picked up a beautiful new 2018 GTR. One issue I noticed immediately after picking up the vehicle is a front leather seat has a very noticeable crease. The dealer said that is normal and should work itself out over time based on the leather stretching and warmer weather. Has anyone else experienced this? Many thanks

Can't say I agree with the dealer on this one. Sounds like he's trying to blow you off.
I have a 2017 GT with premium package, napa leather et al, and the seats are perfect. Nice and tight all around with no creases.
Maybe go to another dealer and check out another car and see if it's the same.
Good luck.
BTW, can you post a pic?

Yes here is a pic. Thanks,

Attachments

• 4E22449A-336A-4D82-A49D-9359B4C18C59.jpeg
    4E22449A-336A-4D82-A49D-9359B4C18C59.jpeg
    516.5 KB · Views: 396
Looked at your pic.
You have a crease, but also some "bubbles" in the leather where it looks like it wasn't pulled tight enough.
Mine is not like that, so I'd definitely keep bugging the dealer.
Maybe if they have another GT in stock, they'll let you look at it and compare.
I remember a while back on this forum there was a thread on something similar, but it might have been in the CX-5 section.
Try a search and see if you can find any other threads on this problem.

Like buzzman12, I have a 2017 GT premium with Nappa leather and my seats look tight, no creases. You might be able to shrink it up with heat, maybe use a blow dryer or something. His stretching reply doesn't make sense to me because creases usually come from stretching, they aren't removed by it, but the heat of the sun could possibly help tighten it.

You paid for a new car, it should look perfect. I would have them fix it. Definitely document it in writing and with the pic, so if you decide to wait it out and it doesn't correct itself they can't claim it was your doing.

Last edited:
An upholstery shop may be able to get that out with a steamer. I've seen that done to remove minor wrinkles in new leather seat covers.

Hi everyone just recently picked up a beautiful new 2018 GTR. One issue I noticed immediately after picking up the vehicle is a front leather seat has a very noticeable crease. The dealer said that is normal and should work itself out over time based on the leather stretching and warmer weather. Has anyone else experienced this? Many thanks
CX-5 leather seats have the same issue. Here's a long thread discussing this problem:

2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Leather Seat Issue

And here's the TSB for your problem:

Ref. No. R054/18 - Warping Surface of Drivers Seat

There're revised parts listed in the TSB to fix this problem.

Ref. No. R054/18 said:

CAUSE
Gap occurs between the leather surface and the cushion pad due to insufficient surface tension of the seat trim.

MASS PRODUCTION CHANGE
A non-woven fabric is attached to the backside of the front seat cushion trim to enhance the surface tension.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
When you receive the customer complain on this concern, replace the front seat cushion trim(1) and the front seat cushion pad with a modified one according to the workshop manual FRONT SEAT CUSHION TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.

Back