Prices paid for 2019 CX5

That's unrealistic.

$32,000 for the price of the car itself? Yeah it's possible if you qualify for Loyalty Discount, Military Discount, etc. and negotiate.

But out the door?

No way.

No one knows when the 2020's will show up but if we go by when the 2019 turbo CX5 showed up stateside, most likely Nov/Dec at the absolute earliest (even then only a few dealers in the US took orders for inventory still in transit).

Wasn't until Jan/Feb when other dealers in the U.S. actually started to get inventory.

Got it, AirCon05. I appreciate your feedback and insights. Would $34000 be more realistic then or still far-fetched? I appreciate more thoughts from everyone. I don't think I qualify for loyalty discount (I'm a previous Toyota/Honda owner wanting to try out Mazda) or military discount (discharged from Army Reserves in 2006). I plan to register the new CX-5 GT-R in Maryland (6% tax).

Any tips or negotiating tactics from recent buyers are greatly appreciated.

Got it, AirCon05. I appreciate your feedback and insights. Would $34000 be more realistic then or still far-fetched? I appreciate more thoughts from everyone. I don't think I qualify for loyalty discount (I'm a previous Toyota/Honda owner wanting to try out Mazda) or military discount (discharged from Army Reserves in 2006). I plan to register the new CX-5 GT-R in Maryland (6% tax).

From what I see now, there is a Veteran Appreciation discount ($500) right now. So you should be eligible for that.

$34000 give or take may be possible.

I would definitely ask for price offers from all the dealerships in the MD/PA/NC and see the lowest they are willing to offer. I'm a little weary of VA as they have some absolutely ridiculous Doc Fees. Make these dealerships fight with each other for your business.

When you get a pretty low price, contact another dealerships and ask them "Hey, i got an offer from another dealership for XXXXXX, can you beat it?"

Rinse and repeat.

You should be willing to travel out of state if the deal is good enough (granted, they give you it in writing and are not BS'ing the numbers to get you into the dealership).

As most people here, I never step into the dealership until I have numbers confirmed.

Last edited:
From what I see now, there is a Veteran Appreciation discount ($500) right now. So you should be eligible for that.

$34000 give or take may be possible.

I would definitely ask for price offers from all the dealerships in the MD/PA/NC and see the lowest they are willing to offer. I'm a little weary of VA as they have some absolutely ridiculous Doc Fees. Make these dealerships fight with each other for your business.

When you get a pretty low price, contact another dealerships and ask them "Hey, i got an offer from another dealership for XXXXXX, can you beat it?"

Rinse and repeat.

You should be willing to travel out of state if the deal is good enough (granted, they give you it in writing and are not BS'ing the numbers to get you into the dealership).

As most people here, I never step into the dealership until I have numbers confirmed.

Would you include DE along with the dealerships in the MD/PA/NC? Yeah I too hate ridiculous VA doc fee and even question why it even exist. Thanks, AirCon05!

Would you include DE along with the dealerships in the MD/PA/NC? Yeah I too hate ridiculous VA doc fee and even question why it even exist. Thanks, AirCon05!

Really depends on how far you are willing to drive.

I'm not too familiar with DE prices.

For me (based in NJ/NY) I had to travel out of state because NJ/NY dealers think the CX5 turbo is some mythical limited edition gold-plated vehicle and barely budge off of MSRP price.

Just purchased (1st Mazda) 2019 CX-5 GT + PP in Snow Pearl in NJ.

Sale Price - $31,500
MSRP - $34,315 (including destination)
Discount - ~8%

Picked 0.9% over the $1,000 cash.
Not eligible for any other CB as no Mazda or Military.

Received Several Quotes around $31,700 + TTL after the $1,000 customer cash and no 0.9%. Not many dealers wanted to go lower than "invoice" (I did not bring up the invoice).

2019 GT-R's MSRP is about $1,600 more.

Also the customer cash on GT-R is $500 compared to $1k on GT.

So if you qualify for other cash discount offers, you can easily make up the $1,600 MSRP difference but if not it will all depend on how far you willing to travel and wait and also on whether it makes sense to get the cash discount or promo APR. In my case promo APR saved me more than taking the $1k cash discount and i didn't want to travel that far.

Hope this helps.

Just purchased (1st Mazda) 2019 CX-5 GT + PP in Snow Pearl in NJ.

Sale Price - $31,500
MSRP - $34,315 (including destination)
Discount - ~8%

Picked 0.9% over the $1,000 cash.
Not eligible for any other CB as no Mazda or Military.

Received Several Quotes around $31,700 + TTL after the $1,000 customer cash and no 0.9%. Not many dealers wanted to go lower than "invoice" (I did not bring up the invoice).

2019 GT-R's MSRP is about $1,600 more.

Also the customer cash on GT-R is $500 compared to $1k on GT.

So if you qualify for other cash discount offers, you can easily make up the $1,600 MSRP difference but if not it will all depend on how far you willing to travel and wait and also on whether it makes sense to get the cash discount or promo APR. In my case promo APR saved me more than taking the $1k cash discount and i didn't want to travel that far.

Hope this helps.

did you test drive the turbo? for $1,600 more, curious why you didn't go for the reserve.

did you test drive the turbo? for $1,600 more, curious why you didn't go for the reserve.

I have always liked Naturally Aspirated engines and have more faith in the longevity of the NA engines than the turbos. So wasn't really about the $1,600 as much as it was just about the personal preference.

GT Reserve Pricing in Canada

Not sure how helpful it is, but I can share my experience from Canada (vehicle prices here re typically higher than in the USA).

I had a 2016 GT Turbo in very good condition 3 years into a 4 year lease. It had high mileage -- 94,000 kms (58,000 miles). Typically, I would sell the vehicle privately, aiming to get the current buyout price on the lease (and avoiding the $2,900. excess mileage charges), so I could just walk away from the 2016 lease, and get the new one (I've done this successfully for about 6 vehicles by now). In this case, my usual dealer was so hot to sell, that they contacted me to look at my 2016.

In the end, they took my 2016 GT with no penalty, waived the mileage charges, and I basically walked away from that vehicle unscathed.

On the new GTR, I squeezed them to get a 48 month lease payment that I could live with, and they played ball.

Very happy with my Machine Grey GTR, and the deal I was able to get.

CX-5 GT Turbo AWD, Machine Grey -- MSRP: CAD $39,450 + Freight / AC / Paint -- CAD $41,475

Last edited:
I just cant get any offer lower than $35000 out-the-door for 2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR (White) here with Maryland dealerships. I walked out on two dealerships already. My target is $34000 OTD (including doc prep, 6% MD tax, titling fees.) Im in no rush. I just want to land on my target price. Maybe Ill wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas. What are your thoughts? Im aware that there would be less inventory by then. Still, do you think dealers would budge?

I just can*t get any offer lower than $35000 out-the-door for 2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR (White) here with Maryland dealerships. I walked out on two dealerships already. My target is $34000 OTD (including doc prep, 6% MD tax, titling fees.) I*m in no rush. I just want to land on my target price. Maybe I*ll wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas. What are your thoughts? I*m aware that there would be less inventory by then. Still, do you think dealers would budge?

why are you going to dealerships? Email 15-20 and play lowest bid against each other. I doubt you will get $34k. Not sure what the doc and titles fees are, but $35k is a pretty good price..close to 10% off MSRP..right?

I would definitely ask for price offers from all the dealerships in the MD/PA/NC and see the lowest they are willing to offer. I'm a little wary of VA as they have some absolutely ridiculous Doc Fees. Make these dealerships fight with each other for your business.

When you get a pretty low price, contact another dealerships and ask them "Hey, i got an offer from another dealership for $XXXXX, can you beat it?"

Rinse and repeat.

You should be willing to travel out of state if the deal is good enough (granted, they give it to you in writing and are not BSing the numbers to get you into the dealership).

Excellent advice. Pretty much exactly what I did.

I would hold out for your target price, especially if you're in no rush. As release dates for the 2020 come closer, dealerships will become more flexible with pricing, especially if you've made connections with the internet sales reps. They'll usually follow up with you if they know they're close to a sale.

Happy to say I took delivery on a 2019 GTR in Houston, TX! White on black. What a joy to drive!

$36,650 Total MSRP (Incl $200 white pearl, $475 rear parking sensors, $60 wheel locks and $1045 delivery, processing and handling fee).

$33,650 Total Selling Price (after $500 Mazda rebate and dealer discounts)(before Tax, License and Doc Fees, trade-in allowance, etc.).

Very happy with this deal. Zoom zoom.

Anyone with a new GTR: are the FRONT proximity sensors available as an option? I don't see them on the web, only the rears.

Rears seem redundant, given the camera. I would want the front sensors.

Anyone with a new GTR: are the FRONT proximity sensors available as an option? I don't see them on the web, only the rears.

Rears seem redundant, given the camera. I would want the front sensors.

Only the Sig has the sensors, in the US. The GTR has none.

Not an option, unless you go aftermarket. Where do you see a GTR with rear sensors?
Here:

Happy to say I took delivery on a 2019 GTR in Houston, TX! White on black. What a joy to drive!

$36,650 Total MSRP (Incl $200 white pearl, $475 rear parking sensors, $60 wheel locks and $1045 delivery, processing and handling fee).

$33,650 Total Selling Price (after $500 Mazda rebate and dealer discounts)(before Tax, License and Doc Fees, trade-in allowance, etc.).

Very happy with this deal. Zoom zoom.

Ok, I stand corrected. I just checked the Mazda site and now see that option. I do not see one for the front. It does seem dumb to not have the option for both front and rear.

Yah, dumb! Why not, I wonder??

why are you going to dealerships? Email 15-20 and play lowest bid against each other. I doubt you will get $34k. Not sure what the doc and titles fees are, but $35k is a pretty good price..close to 10% off MSRP..right?

Oh I just didnt have a chance to test-drive the new 2019 Mazda CX-5 GT-R. So I checked out the one with White ext/Black int from one dealership and White ext/Parchment int from another dealership. Both dealerships couldnt offer my target price of $34K OTD so I walked out. Both are calling me at this time as Im replying to this post..haha

Well see what happens. Ill provide a detailed update/breakdown if I land on something and settle.

Back