ATF change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure what some do for a living but reading comprehension should be something some people may think about to improve on?

To be exact on my post I said change the "PAN" fluid!
The percentages in the above posting are inaccurate. No one took in account or considered the dilution factor when this type of service is done regarding an ATX. Even using a specialized automatic transmission service fluid machines the manufactures of these HIGH QUALITY transmission service systems will not post any percentage values that I am aware of?
Some members may want to fully and more carefully read that Blackstone Lab report that was used in the above posting as an example of support information a little closer as well the information posted by the member starting the thread.
Most materials I refereed to in my responses float or better wording held in suspension circulating through the transmission and are mostly caught in the filter. That is why I said "FILTER" in my response recommendation earlier.
I wonder what anyone really calls minimal contamination? I would think anything that is not suppose to be in motor oil or transmission fluid is a contaminate and DOES NOT BELONG THERE!!!
Adding a cooler, my comment was for the most part generalized but yes you can add a functional auxiliary cooler to these transmissions. Even a larger sump capacity. A project, I have already ordered the necessary parts to accomplish adding a transmission cooler and temperature gauge to my 2018 MAZDA ATX.
If anyone is worried about the environment GET AN ELECTRIC CAR, TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION ,WALK or RIDE A BICYCLE . ROLMAO!!!
MY USED MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION OIL ARE "recycled" PICKED UP MONTHLY(55 gallon drum)AND TAKEN TO A COMPANY THE CLEANS AND RE-MARKETS THE OILS USE IN THE INDUSTRY.

By the time a properly designed automatic transmission fails secondary to fluid, the engine will be done as well. My Dad's work van, for example, has close to 1/2 a million miles on the OEM transmission and OEM transmission original fluid fill. It is a GM 4L65E, I believe. More damage to be done changing fluids than leaving it alone.

By the time a properly designed automatic transmission fails secondary to fluid, the engine will be done as well. My Dad's work van, for example, has close to 1/2 a million miles on the OEM transmission and OEM transmission original fluid fill. It is a GM 4L65E, I believe. More damage to be done changing fluids than leaving it alone.
Explain with good information or data how changing the fluid can cause more damage?
Explain how fluid is not an important factor in the life of a transmission regarding its condition?
This kind of poor information often gets spread on the internet that not only is empirically wrong but reckless for people who come to forums to get the best advise about maintaining their vehicles.
As far as the transmission you mention I wonder why this transmission is a popular seller for auto recyclers nation wide? But this is a MAZDA forum and these debates should be on a GM forum. I belong to several if you want a recommendation on one?
If you read my responses you may have at least caught that I am not a average or really DIY member? I doubt I would have the customer I carry if I was only that. ; )
I also said that if some choose not to take advise that could possible save them a repair or replacement bill for a failing transmission they can do as they think is best for them.
Your example is a poor one considering the number of those transmission that wer made and the failed ones. I owned a FORD EXPLODER and by simple preventive maintenance got over 240,000 miles on the famous ford transmission which was known for problems. So what! I did frequent fluid and filter changes and installed all the advised upgrades. I am sure without them my EXPLODER would have toasted it transmission about 200,00 miles ago.
You and other that argue and debate against simple preventive maintenance are generally those that when problem happen never post because they are so sure it will never happen to them. I have customers all the time every week with automatic transmission problems and most every time it is due to NOT simple servicing.

I repeat again..... if anything I have posted on this thread is inaccurate please post some empirical DATA or facts to show and support your findings.

Picture I posted from a few years ago. March 09, 2013, 12:10:31 PM
[url=https://postimg.cc/S2ckzcJf][/URL]

Its sad because a few members will have a transmission problem and if the shop looks into the cause most of the time it is due to lack of simple easy to do and inexpensive fluid and filter changes. This goes all the way back to PowerGlides. LOL

I want to post a recommendation for those that feel preventative maintenance is a good idea. Here is a simple part to replace the stock drain plug with something that may catch a little more of the sheet that floats around in your transmission between pan fluid and filter changes. I have used these in everything form car,trucks airplanes and motorcycles. They flat work great. It just an added and cheat extra protection you can use in your fluid pans.
Dimple drain plugs
https://www.drainplugmagnets.com/

Last edited:
Explain with good information or data how changing the fluid can cause more damage?
Explain how fluid is not an important factor in the life of a transmission regarding its condition?
This kind of poor information often gets spread on the internet that not only is empirically wrong but reckless for people who come to forums to get the best advise about maintaining their vehicles.
As far as the transmission you mention I wonder why this transmission is a popular seller for auto recyclers nation wide? But this is a MAZDA forum and these debates should be on a GM forum. I belong to several if you want a recommendation on one?
If you read my responses you may have at least caught that I am not a average or really DIY member? I doubt I would have the customer I carry if I was only that. ; )
I also said that if some choose not to take advise that could possible save them a repair or replacement bill for a failing transmission they can do as they think is best for them.
Your example is a poor one considering the number of those transmission that wer made and the failed ones. I owned a FORD EXPLODER and by simple preventive maintenance got over 240,000 miles on the famous ford transmission which was known for problems. So what! I did frequent fluid and filter changes and installed all the advised upgrades. I am sure without them my EXPLODER would have toasted it transmission about 200,00 miles ago.
You and other that argue and debate against simple preventive maintenance are generally those that when problem happen never post because they are so sure it will never happen to them. I have customers all the time every week with automatic transmission problems and most every time it is due to NOT simple servicing.

I repeat again..... if anything I have posted on this thread is inaccurate please post some empirical DATA or facts to show and support your findings.

Picture I posted from a few years ago. March 09, 2013, 12:10:31 PM
[url=https://postimg.cc/S2ckzcJf][/URL]

Its sad because a few members will have a transmission problem and if the shop looks into the cause most of the time it is due to lack of simple easy to do and inexpensive fluid and filter changes. This goes all the way back to PowerGlides. LOL

I want to post a recommendation for those that feel preventative maintenance is a good idea. Here is a simple part to replace the stock drain plug with something that may catch a little more of the sheet that floats around in your transmission between pan fluid and filter changes. I have used these in everything form car,trucks airplanes and motorcycles. They flat work great. It just an added and cheat extra protection you can use in your fluid pans.
Dimple drain plugs
https://www.drainplugmagnets.com/

Wait...didnt you say this is a mazda forum? Cool. Show me that SkyActiv automatic that failed from use degraded fluid, Mr. Empirical data guy. You have the whole internet to pull from. Ill wait for you to support your allegations.

Wait...didnt you say this is a mazda forum? Cool. Show me that SkyActiv automatic that failed from use degraded fluid, Mr. Empirical data guy. You have the whole internet to pull from. Ill wait for you to support your allegations.

You so miss the point and that's fine. LOL
While I have to choose my words carefully to respond to you under the forums guidelines and not wanting to offend ... I think you know exactly what I am talking about with my responses? I will say when ever I come across a member that feels threaten by my information the first thing I do is go look at the members info. The stat, what threads they started and what threads they post on and what they say. .... NUFF said. ;)

Word of the day:
allegation
a claim or assertion that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically one made without proof.

Last edited:
Off topic, but I see that was already started a few responses back?

Welcome back GJ Molester?
Exactly what I was wondering.
Based on the screenname, I doubt it, but its possible.
You can just ask. Or have administration check the members info and IP. As for me I was recommend to join this forum from a long time member that said my knowledge would be appreciated on this forum? He did already give me the list of a few regular members that would feel challenged with my responses. I see a couple on his list posting in this very thread. ;)

Unobtanium, I was wondering what do or did you do for a living?

Last edited:
You so miss the point and that's fine. LOL
While I have to choose my words carefully to respond to you under the forums guidelines and not wanting to offend ... I think you know exactly what I am talking about with my responses? I will say when ever I come across a member that feels threaten by my information the first thing I do is go look at the members info. The stat, what threads they started and what threads they post on and what they say. .... NUFF said. ;)

So, in other words, not a single cx5 automatic has died due to not changing the fluid, that you could find?

Off topic, but I see that was already started a few responses back?

You can just ask. Or have administration check the members info and IP. As for me I was recommend to join this forum from a long time member that said my knowledge would be appreciated on this forum? He did already give me the list of a few regular members that would feel challenged with my responses. I see a couple on his list posting in this very thread. ;)

Unobtanium, I was wondering what do or did you do for a living?

I dont really discuss what I do for a living currently. Just not something I advertise. Not because cool guy reasons, I just dont.

Former occupations:

-city maintenance worker
-sears appliance sales rep
-Ford/Mercury certified sales rep
-telemarketer
-carpet cleaner

Its not that you're threatening, its just that while demanding empirical data, you can provide none yourself, which would indicate that a skyactiv has ever died because of lack of fluid change. My jeep acted funny after a dealership fluid change (pan drop and filters only) at 68k miles, and my infiniti died spectacularly after same at 110k miles. My cx5 is doing great at 102k with nothing done.

When you change fluid, the detergent concentration is increased over the old, clutch material thats settled happily gets broken loose. The transmission valve body clogs like a boss. Or you can do it every 30k or so. Or just leave it alone. I choose to save money and let it alone like Mazda advised. I have more miles on my car than all but 2 or 3 posters here, and its fine.

So, in other words, not a single cx5 automatic has died due to not changing the fluid, that you could find?
I didn't look because you are just not getting it!
I suggest perhaps get some off internet information and talked to a Transmission Service Shop. Tell'um what some dude (me) said on the forum . Heck, print it up and show um! Then maybe they might explain it to you better then you reading from me?
I dont really discuss what I do for a living currently. Just not something I advertise. Not because cool guy reasons, I just dont.
Former occupations:
-city maintenance worker
-sears appliance sales rep
-Ford/Mercury certified sales repOk so I understand not mentioning w
-telemarketer
-carpet cleaner
Its not that you're threatening, its just that while demanding empirical data, you can provide none yourself, which would indicate that a skyactiv has ever died because of lack of fluid change. My jeep acted funny after a dealership fluid change (pan drop and filters only) at 68k miles, and my infiniti died spectacularly after same at 110k miles. My cx5 is doing great at 102k with nothing done.

When you change fluid, the detergent concentration is increased over the old, clutch material thats settled happily gets broken loose. The transmission valve body clogs like a boss. Or you can do it every 30k or so. Or just leave it alone. I choose to save money and let it alone like Mazda advised. I have more miles on my car than all but 2 or 3 posters here, and its fine.

What I said was clearly if anyone thought information about what I posted was incorrect or inaccurate would like to know by way of empirical information so that I can make sure I don't post bad information in the future!

Look nothing more is going to become of this thread for information now except members posting how many miles they got without ever changing their transmission fluid. LOL
Besides I am sure a few members have already reported responses in this thread.
You realize at this point you are borderline TROLLING... I am sure I am close but you hmmm?? ;)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Car Repair Advice

__________________________________________________ ____________
https://www.aa1car.com/car_repair_advice.htm

Automotive Forums

Another source of information many people use on the internet are automotive forums. There are hundreds of forums dedicated to specific vehicle makes and models as well as more general automotive forums. Forums contain a wealth of information, but also a lot of misinformation and conflicting information.

The typical forum user will post a question in hopes that other forum users will respond and offer an answer or advice on how to solve the problem. But with all forums, there is no guarantee that anyone will respond or that any responses they do receive will be accurate or helpful. It all depends on the other forum members and who posts a response. Many forum users are quite knowledgeable and can provide exactly the kind of answer you are looking for. Other forum users want to be helpful and may venture a guess or offer an opinion that may or may not be accurate or may be totally wrong. In other words, it may be hard to distinguish good advice from bad advice.

Most forums are moderated to delete spam, rants and off-topic posts and comments that don't belong on the forum. But in most instances, the accuracy of the posts and responses is left up to the forum users. There's no editing or vetting or review of the comments that are posted. Consequently, if inaccurate or incorrect responses are posted to a question, other more knowledgeable users may or may not challenge a post or offer additional information.

We've seen many forum responses degenerate into endless bickering between conflicting points of view. We've also seen a lot of posts that totally contradict one another. There's nothing wrong with a good debate provided the people involved know what they are talking about. But unless there is some resolution to the debate, or some serious fact checking involved, the person who posted the original question may be left confused and no closer to finding an answer than when they started.

Last edited:
Been there, done that. With Infiniti. They said the transmission would be fine. Drop the pan, change the filters and fluid. Well, it cost me a transmission a few thousand miles later. Im cool with relying on my own experiences with ford, jeep, and infiniti automatics and fluid changes to extrapolate my options for maintenance and their outcomes.

Further, skyactiv transmissions put about 1/3 the wear on ATF that conventional automatics do. I think it will be fine for 200k+ miles if a conventional transmission would be fine to 75k without changing the fluid, and we all know that to be the case.

Im not going to quote all that mess you posted.

Alright going to lock this for a couple of reason; people getting butthurt, the topic is rehashed for like the 4th time already (search) and people are getting personal..
also I used to work at sears too ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back