ATF change

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey guys,

At what mileage are you all changing your ATF on your 2017/2018 CX-5's? I believe it's recommended at 30k miles (have to check), but was thinking I could push it to 45kish depending on how it looks?

Any thoughts?

Hey guys,

At what mileage are you all changing your ATF on your 2017/2018 CX-5's? I believe it's recommended at 30k miles (have to check), but was thinking I could push it to 45kish depending on how it looks?

Any thoughts?

Its never recommended, and I have 102,xxx mi on mine and it performs just fine. Various people have various theories and practices on here, though, but Mazda says no.

some people change around 30k-40k especially in very hot climates, other at 50-60k, other 100k+ and some don't.
I think recently most manufacturers claim you dont have to although thats speculative given the fact every oil has certain "life".
I personally think its good to "change" but depends how you drive and where you drive.
You should be good to go 45-50k.

No theories here. Fact the transmission new will have a wear period for all the parts. The best thing is to change your ATX pan fluid and filter at the break in period of the engine at about 15-20,000 miles. Empirical Data through fluid analysis shows oil contamination from break in periods of transmission . These contaminates can depending on what they are wear your transmission parts or may cause other future problems. We can all read the stickers and Factory Service information about "LIFETIME" no service transmission and if you choose this no one is saying it is wrong. Just not the best for trouble free life of any transmission parts.
Lets try to stop MYTH on forums.....
If anyone doubts this response please feel free send a sample of your transmission oil in and post the analysis results.

Here is the company I have used for years for my own personal vehicles as well dozens of customers.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?se...abs.net/Bstone/(S(s4ucdznvltzg0br1gkk5ch45))/

Automatic transmissions ask a lot of the oil. Not only does the oil lubricate and clean internal parts, but it also functions as a hydraulic oil to operate various components.

Transmission oil can be contaminated with metals, solids, and moisture, and those contaminants need to be removed before they cause problems. Conversely, a test of your transmission fluid may reveal that it*s still in great condition, and you don*t need to change it as often as you thought.

There*s no easier way of knowing what*s going on in the system than oil analysis. We can tell you if the oil needs to be changed, if it*s contaminated, or if there are any problems at hand. Request your free kit today and make sure your drive train is wearing as it should!

On a personal suggestion: Adding a auxiliary transmission cooler is always beneficial and simply lower the operating temperature of the transmission will prolong its life. Most universal kits can easily be installed by DIY in a couple of hours.

Many threads on this subject on this forum over the years, same old ideas/arguments get rehashed over and over. Personally, I like the 50k mile benchmark, but do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Fluid based failures are virtually non-existent for this transmission. You won't be wrong whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Adding an auxiliary cooler would be quite the trick on these cars, no lines in or out for the ATF. But I do agree with you. Installed a $50 kit on my 17 Odyssey for peace of mind.

Adding an auxiliary cooler would be quite the trick on these cars, no lines in or out for the ATF. But I do agree with you. Installed a $50 kit on my 17 Odyssey for peace of mind.

Exactly, because the cooler is attached to the transmission. Engine coolant lines go to and from this cooler.

No theories here. Fact the transmission new will have a wear period for all the parts. The best thing is to change your ATX pan fluid and filter at the break in period of the engine at about 15-20,000 miles. Empirical Data through fluid analysis shows oil contamination from break in periods of transmission . These contaminates can depending on what they are wear your transmission parts or may cause other future problems. We can all read the stickers and Factory Service information about "LIFETIME" no service transmission and if you choose this no one is saying it is wrong. Just not the best for trouble free life of any transmission parts.
If anyone doubts this response please feel free send a sample of your transmission oil in and post the analysis results.
We can change all oils and fluids in the vehicle every 1,000 miles to keep them fresh all the time. But we have to balance the cost and environmental considerations and also operating environment of oils and fluids themselves. Changing ATF at the first 15~20K miles is too excessive IMO. ATF change is different from most other oils and fluids as it cant be drained completely unless a flushing machine is used. The most we cans do draining out the old ATF is about 40~50% of the total capacity. The rest is stayed in the torque converter and valve body which cant be drained. Secondly ATF is operating in a sealed and relatively non-volatile environment comparing to engine oil. Contamination is minimum and frequent replacement isnt necessary. As for metal shavings from break-in period, anything is big enough which would damage the transmission will get trapped by ATF filter and magnet on the pan.

Here is the company I have used for years for my own personal vehicles as well dozens of customers.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?se...abs.net/Bstone/(S(s4ucdznvltzg0br1gkk5ch45))/
We have a thread for members posting used ATF analysis mostly from Black Stone Lab. Even at 71,270 miles from a first ATF change by ColoradoDriver, theres no major issues from the old fluid:

Skyactiv Transmission Fluid Analysis Thread

On a personal suggestion: Adding a auxiliary transmission cooler is always beneficial and simply lower the operating temperature of the transmission will prolong its life. Most universal kits can easily be installed by DIY in a couple of hours.
SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission is different from other automatic transmissions. You cant DIY in a couple of hours adding an ATF cooler as theres no ATF lines coming out of the transmission like others hence there's no ATF ports to hook up the ATF cooler lines. And thats why you cant flush the ATF to replace the entire fluid from SkyActiv-Drive transmission like others either.

SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission is different from other automatic transmissions. You cant DIY in a couple of hours adding an ATF cooler as theres no ATF lines coming out of the transmission like others hence there's no ATF ports to hook up the ATF cooler lines.

Is there an echo in here? 😁 I kid, I kid.

Many threads on this subject on this forum over the years, same old ideas/arguments get rehashed over and over. Personally, I like the 50k mile benchmark, but do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Fluid based failures are virtually non-existent for this transmission. You won't be wrong whatever you decide.
Exactly my thinking! (cool)

Is there an echo in here? �� I kid, I kid.
There're modified transmission coolers adding two ATF ports commercially available for other vehicles with similar design mainly on CVT's. yugrus here bought a SkyActiv-Drive transmission cooler trying to add ATF ports for ATF flushing purpose a while ago but has no news since:

ATF flush adapter

I'll probably do a ATF change at ~ 80,000 if I'm going to keep the vehicle for 150,000 or so. Ed

There're modified transmission coolers adding two ATF ports commercially available for other vehicles with similar design mainly on CVT's. yugrus here bought a SkyActiv-Drive transmission cooler trying to add ATF ports for ATF flushing purpose a while ago but has no news since:

ATF flush adapter

Lol, I know. Thatll be the trick I alluded to. Id love to see if he was successful in modifying the cooler to allow lines in and out of the trans.

Saw this mentioned on BITOG...

BG Products has a SkyActiv AT oil cooler adapter plate that one would use with their flush machines but no reason one couldn't use it without the machine as well.

PN: TF832116QC

https://bglsi.com/BGProducts_Oklahoma_Texas/images/PDF/Tech_Tips.pdf

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-05%20at%207.29.56%20AM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-05%20at%207.30.08%20AM.jpg

Automatic transmissions ask a lot of the oil. Not only does the oil lubricate and clean internal parts, but it also functions as a hydraulic oil to operate various components.

Transmission oil can be contaminated with metals, solids, and moisture, and those contaminants need to be removed before they cause problems. Conversely, a test of your transmission fluid may reveal that it*s still in great condition, and you don*t need to change it as often as you thought.

There*s no easier way of knowing what*s going on in the system than oil analysis. We can tell you if the oil needs to be changed, if it*s contaminated, or if there are any problems at hand. Request your free kit today and make sure your drive train is wearing as it should!

...and where would this go/how would it connect on a CX5? Sounds like you're full of "theory".

I have 102K miles and it shifts fine. OEM original fluid.

Not ONE SINGLE FAILURE of the SkyActiv 6-speed has ever been attributed to "worn out" fluid that you can show me. You will not find it. Scour the forum. Scour the internet. NOT there. You can find mechanical flaws, contaminated fluid from flood cars, etc. but you will not find dirty from use/worn out fluid killing this transmission.

We can change all oils and fluids in the vehicle every 1,000 miles to keep them fresh all the time. But we have to balance the cost and environmental considerations and also operating environment of oils and fluids themselves. Changing ATF at the first 15~20K miles is too excessive IMO. ATF change is different from most other oils and fluids as it can*t be drained completely unless a flushing machine is used. The most we cans do draining out the old ATF is about 40~50% of the total capacity. The rest is stayed in the torque converter and valve body which can*t be drained. Secondly ATF is operating in a sealed and relatively non-volatile environment comparing to engine oil. Contamination is minimum and frequent replacement isn*t necessary. As for metal shavings from break-in period, anything is big enough which would damage the transmission will get trapped by ATF filter and magnet on the pan.

We have a thread for members posting used ATF analysis mostly from Black Stone Lab. Even at 71,270 miles from a first ATF change by ColoradoDriver, there*s no major issues from the old fluid:

Skyactiv Transmission Fluid Analysis Thread

SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission is different from other automatic transmissions. You can't DIY in a couple of hours adding an ATF cooler as there*s no ATF lines coming out of the transmission like others hence there's no ATF ports to hook up the ATF cooler lines. And that*s why you can*t flush the ATF to replace the entire fluid from SkyActiv-Drive transmission like others either.

I am not sure what some do for a living but reading comprehension should be something some people may think about to improve on?

To be exact on my post I said change the "PAN" fluid!
The percentages in the above posting are inaccurate. No one took in account or considered the dilution factor when this type of service is done regarding an ATX. Even using a specialized automatic transmission service fluid machines the manufactures of these HIGH QUALITY transmission service systems will not post any percentage values that I am aware of?
Some members may want to fully and more carefully read that Blackstone Lab report that was used in the above posting as an example of support information a little closer as well the information posted by the member starting the thread.
Most materials I refereed to in my responses float or better wording held in suspension circulating through the transmission and are mostly caught in the filter. That is why I said "FILTER" in my response recommendation earlier.
I wonder what anyone really calls minimal contamination? I would think anything that is not suppose to be in motor oil or transmission fluid is a contaminate and DOES NOT BELONG THERE!!!
Adding a cooler, my comment was for the most part generalized but yes you can add a functional auxiliary cooler to these transmissions. Even a larger sump capacity. A project, I have already ordered the necessary parts to accomplish adding a transmission cooler and temperature gauge to my 2018 MAZDA ATX.
If anyone is worried about the environment GET AN ELECTRIC CAR, TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION ,WALK or RIDE A BICYCLE . ROLMAO!!!
MY USED MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION OIL ARE "recycled" PICKED UP MONTHLY(55 gallon drum)AND TAKEN TO A COMPANY THE CLEANS AND RE-MARKETS THE OILS USE IN THE INDUSTRY.

Last edited:
Saw this mentioned on BITOG...

BG Products has a SkyActiv AT oil cooler adapter plate that one would use with their flush machines but no reason one couldn't use it without the machine as well.

PN: TF832116QC

Where is the "LIKE" button when you need it.

Nice post. Lots of information in their website as well. We use a very old and well used Ranger transmission service machine but they are all pretty good for what they do.
(flash)

From earlier responses of mine:
What I should have also mentioned was that ALL automatic transmission without a routine and regular PAN & Filter changes in a normal designed life expectancy will acquire damaging deposits building up on vital internal parts that without any warning can cause transmission problems.

I want to state again that you all can do whatever you choose and what you think is best for your vehicle. I am not trying to argue but I do have a few years experience (40+) that I am trying to pass along to a few that want to at least consider the benefits of preventative maintenance? Wanna talk about how often I recomend to change SPARK PLUGS ROLMAO . (shrug)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back