16+ CX9 Snow chains/snow cables

:
95 Miata, 14 CX5 Touring FWD, 18 CX9 GT FWD
Has anybody tried putting snow chains/cables on their 2nd gen CX9?

Peerless says the super Z sz441 is the size to get.
https://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction/tirechains/675

I've tried a set of super Z's on my CX5. They fit the wheel really well, but the inner loop interfered with the suspension, so they couldn't be used. I'm wondering if I would run into the same problem with the CX9.

Thanks!

I can confirm stock wheels will yield the same result as your CX-5 with not enough clearance with the suspension.

:(

Would you happen to have any pictures? Where was it interfering?

With the CX5, the inner loop would touch the top of the flanges of the strut where connects to the hub/spindle. If the inner loop was just half an inch further away, it would have been fine to run. The cable just barely touched....but interference is interference...not worth damaging and compromising the chains.

So I was able to find a brand new set of these chains for $20 and did a quick test fit on the CX9. A neighbor bought them for his 4runner, but switched to a larger tire size before he ever used the chains. I brought along a floor jack to lift up a wheel and was able to spin the wheel to look for interference.

The cables don't touch any hard point of the suspension like the CX5 did. However, there is a rubber damper on the strut that ever so slightly grazes with the inside loop of the cables. This rubber damper is flexible and doesn't seem like it would interfere much with the cables installed. It was barely enough interference to make it seem like it would be a big issue, so I bought the chains. The damper is just a big rubber block that is mounted to the strut in such a way that the block can move and give way when being touched. The cables barely touch the side of the block, and if it were to touch anymore, the rubber block would just shift out of the way. I don't think the cables could ever catch onto the block hard enough to cause any problems.

When I have time, I'll reinstall the chain, take my time to do a test fit again and get an even closer look and try to get some pics/video. I want to truly verify this before actually having to use them.

Thinking about going to the mountains over the long weekend and this is my concern now. Kids do want to go play in the snow, should probably be ready for it. Will likely to go to one of the stores (O'reilly? AutoZone?) and pick something up and test the fit. Manual says 18" wheel should be fine but I think it just means it will less likely to scratch the wheels. The comments on the interference with struts concern me...

It would be good to buy a set and give it a try yourself. This is what I experience for the super z style cable chains. You can try a different brand or style and see if they may fit better with more clearance.

At this point, after my initial fitting , I would be comfortable using them in the snow, as I think the risk of something happening is low. I just want to test fit them again to be 100% sure.

I went to local Pep Boys and this was what they had.
https://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction/tirechains/727
Looks like the same brand but a different model for trucks.

I did a trial install on a front tire in the parking lot. It was easy enough and I peeked inside, and the rubber part did come close to the chain. I did not jack it up and rotate the wheels, so couldn't really test how much it comes closes or touches them.

Back