p0300 advice on diagnosing

I'm not trying to deminish your knowledge or test it but pcb has helped a lot of people on this site, he's been around a lot longer then most people on this site now and shares good info. Don't spew off a rant we don't need this site to turn into a Honda website please.
I've corrected people nicely on things they were wrong on and my personal findings on things, like I use seafoam in my gas due to I lost 40 miles on a tank. Fact my MPG dropped from getting 330 miles approx. On a full tank to getting 285, I used seafoam ran through that tank filled up and got back up to 330 again.
It's just what I've seen first hand.

did you do the math on what you just claimed?
I'm not trying to deminish your knowledge or test it but pcb has helped a lot of people on this site, he's been around a lot longer then most people on this site now and shares good info. Don't spew off a rant we don't need this site to turn into a Honda website please.
I've corrected people nicely on things they were wrong on and my personal findings on things, like I use seafoam in my gas due to I lost 40 miles on a tank. Fact my MPG dropped from getting 330 miles approx. On a full tank to getting 285, I used seafoam ran through that tank filled up and got back up to 330 again.
It's just what I've seen first hand.
Look as I said if you like to use certain parts and chemicals on your vehicles its your choice. seafood is just not one that I would recommend to anyone. I did use it and believed for a couple years that it worked until my Chemical Engineering Friend showed my the light so to say;) You come to me I will in less then 60 minutes show you by scoping what your combustion chamber what it looks like and spark plugs. Have you run seafood as instructed on the bottle and show you the results. And then do it my way with water. I guarantee you will go WOW! water did all that cleaning...WOW!! LOL
As for your bud, the thing is he did not like the first time I was nice about making a comment about something he posted that was just not IMHO in the best interest of members reading it or the thread. He went for me like a mad dog. LOL I did see looking at his profile and saw he gets a lot of likes but I can tell you he is an internet wizard that seeks information directly looking on the internet and post it as if he were experienced. I pointed out a bad mistake he posted today and he still tried to defend it with BS? LOL I have yet to see anything that I would say he has good experience on and just keeps posting what you could find and post in the same way and get many likes from many members as he has over time. lol Look at his stats and go all the way back to when he joined. LOL Lots of generic information yet lacking posting personal picture of his own work and experiences ? I wonder why? lol You may notice I support a lot of my responses with personal pictures and most are at the moment. Like to day if you look at my daily response log. I leave members alone that dont INHO attack or TROLL me with trying to discredit my responses when they are not even in the automotive business and have no real experience with the subject matter except what they find on the internet to support only there opinions and theories. When I have an opinion I state it is before posting.IMHO or IMO! The last member on this forum that called me a "DICK I see he and the member you mention tend to follow each other around and support each others responses somewhat. I mean did he have to TROLL this thread and first call me a DICK" which is BTW against this forums strict guidelines and then respond pretty much what I posted in the beginning of this thread. I won't go into some of the incorrect info some of the response content as it will only cause him to defend it with more insults to ASE's lol which he may think that's all I am....rolmao BTW I post that I am ASE because it is generally respected in the automotive service nationwide and most that seek service shops respect those shops that employee ASE Technician. . If anyone looks into the requirements to first qualify to be able to test ASE it is not just about taking a test. So his comments about his experience with ASE seems a bit out of the ordinary considering? In other words BS! As I said a few times when someone calls me out I ask them to correct my information with empirical information and or data so I can read and learn from it. Generally what you get is the reverse and someone say i should post the empirical information to support my responses as a way to defend again their poor information posted? If you look this happen a few times in the last week. lol Even after I supplied them the source to contact and find out the real empirical information and post it showing I might have faulted in something I posted? LOL Didn't happen only more BS and bad information from the same couple of members? Its like I come to play ball and they all leave taking the ball if i dont play there way and rules? LOL I also go to members stats to learn about the member to see if they are a least somewhat experienced in the auto industry in any capacity. I also research threads started and responses posted by those same members. When you do this you can see patterns like the member you are saying positive things about .

So thank you for your comments which IMHO really you could have taken it to PM level instead of on open forum?

Last edited:
Well for one, I've taken other people's info and shared it. Which I for one don't say this is my info and I take credit for it, I share it just to pass it along. I don't feel that I would have to say this person first shared it everything it's just helpful info.
Yes him calling you a dick was not right, him Sharing what he feels is best or his insight is fine, just as you would. There shouldn't be a whole thing on it on who's right and wrong due to NGK produces iridium plugs and copper plugs for the same engine.
I don't want anyone to get banned or in trouble over a little debacle.
He gave me good info over the course of three years which yes I could of googled and looked for but it didn't populate with my phrasing.
If you had a problem you could of went to PM level..

The supreme epeenery loses it magic when the spellcheck is fail......WTF does seafood have to do with anything? "many suppliers all over the world which also offer seafood in their line of item sold "....." seafood is just not one that I would recommend to anyone" "Have you run seafood as instructed on the bottle and show you the results" ............or was it spellcheck? Explain it any way you want but when you need a few paragraphs to explain how you aren't being a dick or you're just being a dick because you think someone else was, means you are/were being one. Just comes off as trying to be king dick of nowhere. Everything about these cars has been gone thru and hashed out in 18yrs, there is no new info to be had that doesn't already exist here but yeah go forth and entertain us. The comedy exceeds the certification............

This is good.........

"There is a misconception on forums with many DIY that a DTC is the actual problem. These DTC's were programmed in the ECU as a starting point for more diagnostic evaluation and testing of components to determine exactly what caused the DTC to be posted. "

............may be why there is a list of possibilities with most every code? No one has ever posted about being pissed off because a code means it could only be one thing. Usually the opposite. Assumption fail.

Last edited:
Just comes off as trying to be king dick of nowhere. Everything about these cars has been gone thru and hashed out in 18yrs, there is no new info to be had that doesn't already exist here but yeah go forth and entertain us. The comedy exceeds the certification............

lol and agreed re comedy...

As I said we are just trying to help each other out here. being condescending as you have been does not provide a helpful attitude. It's not the content, but rather your method of delivery. And I didn't "call" you a dick, I said you there is no need to be one. There are no needs for personal attacks, which seems to be your agenda.

"IMO" (lol) I personally could care less about ASE certifications. I've known great techs with no certs whatsoever that could fix anything that rolls into the shop, and I've known terrible techs with master status and every big job they touch turns into a comeback. So to me, simply saying "I'm a certified master tech" means nothing, because professionally that has been my experience. I used to be "master" at one point, but over the years I let them all lapse. Why? because when it comes down to actually fixing cars, they don't matter. They did nothing for me professionally when I had them, and since I quit turning wrenches for a living years ago they do nothing for me now, either. The only thing they do is look good on a job application.

Anyway, this thread has steered way off into the weeds and you seem to be the driver. Again, doing nothing to help the original post. Maybe now, everybody has said their piece and we can return to the regularly scheduled programming?

https://youtu.be/3ltosJkoY2g

The supreme epeenery loses it magic when the spellcheck is fail......WTF does seafood have to do with anything? "many suppliers all over the world which also offer seafood in their line of item sold "....." seafood is just not one that I would recommend to anyone" "Have you run seafood as instructed on the bottle and show you the results" ............or was it spellcheck? Explain it any way you want but when you need a few paragraphs to explain how you aren't being a dick or you're just being a dick because you think someone else was, means you are/were being one. Just comes off as trying to be king dick of nowhere. Everything about these cars has been gone thru and hashed out in 18yrs, there is no new info to be had that doesn't already exist here but yeah go forth and entertain us. The comedy exceeds the certification............

This is good.........

"There is a misconception on forums with many DIY that a DTC is the actual problem. These DTC's were programmed in the ECU as a starting point for more diagnostic evaluation and testing of components to determine exactly what caused the DTC to be posted. "

............may be why there is a list of possibilities with most every code? No one has ever posted about being pissed off because a code means it could only be one thing. Usually the opposite. Assumption fail.
^^^ROLMAO^^^^
Go back and carefully and s-l-o-w-l-y read where I started to use the word seafood. ;) It has nothing to do with spellcheck. LOL
You are absolutely 100% wrong about everything being gone thru and hashed out about "these" cars! If that were so why are their still vendors and manufactures offering new products for them? And read the constant "wall" of lack of knowledge on the forum that keep suggesting that the auto "engineers" came up with the best (skyactive) so Why should they offer anything in the future then about a that engine they got it perfect the first time? LOL Most of you have NO CLUE exactly how in the real world drive-trains are developed. The first thing is the budget. That word right there should say it all? But hey not on forums where most member are not even associated in any capacity with the auto industry and yet we see and read many have all the answers? LOL REALLY. We have the smartest people in the world on these forums? LOL
Your Diagnostic Trouble Code information is at least somewhat correct and once again something I did say as one of the first to respond in this thread about. However there is a systematic method of service procedures to follow that generally take a little experience to find the problem for a DTC. DIY that is DO-IT-YOURSELF individuals generally are only limited to good diagnostic equipment and even less training and experience to use them? So we see the internet forums and all the guessing by members and the poor guy trying to solve the problem in most cases throwing un-necessary parts at a problem that was not bad i the first place and many times creating more problems Many times the outcome less reported on forums because IMHO pride that person ends up taking to a shop and having someone like myself servicing their vehicle! lol No really...LOL !!

I want to add that no one like and forum despise members that are Grammar Nazi... period! :(
and pb4ugotobed really dude go look in the mirror because that is the only person IMHO you will ever impress? I have read many of your responses on this forum after you called me a DICK (went to your stats and looked up your forum information and posts) and got a great laugh at many of them...wow....hahahaha! thanks for the entertaining reading! LOL

[url=https://postimg.cc/w79n9RhN][/URL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/9DnkPxsP][/URL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/mcMGPfh1][/URL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/k20031wJ][/URL]

Last edited:
At least you can spell grammar. Way to go going back and editing or removing the posts of stupid seafood word in them. How about that list of all the "new" s*** for these cars vs generalizations being spouted? Get specific. What hasn't been covered on these cars? Be specific and I'll find you a thread. Skyactiv has nothing to do in this section of the forum so dunno where that applies. Babble, babble babble. Do some searching here, anything that can go wrong with any part of these cars has been covered. We don't need any know it all PAB to find answers to issues already covered numerous times. You haven't been here long enough to know s*** about what has gone on here in the last 15+ yrs so go catch up. Your incoherent rambling nonsense isn't any help to anyone still here......go teach warranty punks at your shop how to undo harness clips without breaking them and simple s*** like that so people might have a better opinion of having anyone else "try" to fix their car for stupid wasted money. Been wrenching on all kinds of stuff longer than you've been on the planet. Pretty short bus stupid for you to assume you know what other people know when you don't. You funny funny...........and giving all ASE's a bad rep. Party on and post all the delusional BS you care to.

You appear to be new here, but no need to be a d!ck. We're all just here to help.

And yes, there are more ASE master techs than just you on this forum. Some of us just don't feel the need to advertise, bragging about passing a couple tests. I know several ASE master techs who have never spent one day in a shop actually working on cars. And I know other ASE master techs I wouldn't let touch my bicycle. So you passed a test. That's good, but doesn't mean it's a license to be a jerk.

To the original poster...
P0300 isn't a "generic" code. It is a code for a random multiple misfire. This code will come up with you have misfires is more than 1 cylinder long enough to trip a code, but not long enough or consistent enough in any one cylinder for the computer to single out any particular cylinder.

Did you replace the plugs and coil pack because of an issue, or preventative? Did you use OEM coil pack or cheap generic? Did you gap the spark plugs? Never trust the gap when they come out of the boxes. Are the connectors on your coil packs connected securely? The locking tabs get brittle and tend to break or crack on the harness connectors.

It could be something as simple as bad gas, maybe a bit of water got where it shouldn't have, or could be about a thousand different possibilities. I would recommend clearing the codes, and just drive the car. Sometimes there's just fluke things that happen for no reason. If the ONLY code in your car was a P0300 then I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. Clear the codes, and drive it. See if it comes back. If it does then maybe next time it will be accompanied with another code that can help in troubleshooting. I wouldn't spent too much time, or any money trying to diagnose a P0300. All you'd be doing is throwing a dart in the dark after a few drinks and hoping you find the target.

Coil Pack is a Standard Motor Product (so not OEM, not sure if it qualifies as 'cheap generic') it was replaced due to throwing a code. Several months later I got a code again and since the spark plugs were due to be replaced in a couple of thousand miles I replaced them with NGK Platinum. While replacing the plugs the wires pretty much disintegrated, so I rplaced them also. Drove car for a several thousand miles before getting this P0300.

Anyway I haven't gotten any codes in either of my cars since trading the coil packs. So, hopefully just a fluke or bad gas.

Apparently polish coils are good coils.

Seriously though, Polish coils are supposed to be quality coils for our car.

Coil Pack is a Standard Motor Product (so not OEM, not sure if it qualifies as 'cheap generic') it was replaced due to throwing a code. Several months later I got a code again and since the spark plugs were due to be replaced in a couple of thousand miles I replaced them with NGK Platinum. While replacing the plugs the wires pretty much disintegrated, so I rplaced them also. Drove car for a several thousand miles before getting this P0300.

Anyway I haven't gotten any codes in either of my cars since trading the coil packs. So, hopefully just a fluke or bad gas.

Good to hear. May have just been a fluke, I occasionally get misfire codes on my P5 but it's usually after mud bogging down my street after heavy rains. I have to go fast through deep puddles, or risk getting stuck so I go fast, and water goes everywhere. So i'm sure it's water getting the coils wet or getting down in the spark plug hole, but it always clears up after a mile or so and the light goes off after a day or two. I don't bother clearing it anymore, more trouble than it's worth.

Then again, I can't really say i've ever had any problems with ignition coils on my P5 as others have claimed either. Maybe they don't hold up as well in colder climates? (knocking on wood) I've got almost 270k miles on my P5 now and i've never had a problem with the coils. Broke 2 timing belts, replaced all the motor mounts, suspension makes awful noises in the right rear, and I will never get the belts to not squeak because of all the water/mud/debris that is on them, but the car just keeps going! At this point I just want to see how long it will go before it finally dies... Even after 270k compression is 200+ across the board, doesn't smoke, leak, or use any oil, and every option in the car still works. Maybe a budget commuter car from 15 years ago but mazda definitely did something right when they engineered these things! Because my "maintenance" on this thing has literally been... change the oil, and replace something with the cheapest possible part I can find if it breaks. Not much has broken...

... Maybe a budget commuter car from 15 years ago but mazda definitely did something right when they engineered these things! ...

Except for rust !!

They didn't engineer that too good.
(Apparently 100% recycled metal)

But,.. I'm at almost 150 k Miles and my car is running fine.
I'm expecting to get another 4-5 years out of my car.

I get it undercoated every year.

I don't have to worry about rust since it doesn't snow here, I'm going on 189k miles. Still running strong, but I'm wanting another engine to rebuild. But these are great cars and the style doesn't get old, they will definitely last.

Except for rust !!

They didn't engineer that too good.
(Apparently 100% recycled metal)

But,.. I'm at almost 150 k Miles and my car is running fine.
I'm expecting to get another 4-5 years out of my car.

I get it undercoated every year.

No rust here, except for where there are some rock chips and stuff in the front of the hood. Probably could fix it pretty easily if I cared, but to be honest I never even wash the thing until plants start to grow out of the caked mud in either the wheel well or the gap in the front of the door. That's my "okay... enough is enough, it's time to wash me" alarm.

... Probably could fix it pretty easily if I cared, but to be honest I never even wash the thing until plants start to grow out of the caked mud in either the wheel well or the gap in the front of the door. That's my "okay... enough is enough, it's time to wash me" alarm.

I hear that... I'm not washing my car till spring.. It's fricken cold out.

Me and my parts car...

You might want to invest in quality coils.

When I first joined this forum I replaced my coils after reading about all the problems they can cause.

I went with Beck-Arnley and they have been working fine since then but if IIRC Hitachi was the OEM supplier of coils for our car.

It might be the only part on my car where I will spend the money to go OEM.

I would recommend the Hitachi coils. I got a P0300 code many years into ownership and replaced both coil packs. (Had to go to both AutoZone and O'Reilly as each store in my area only had one part apiece and I was on my bicycle.) Fast forward only a few years and I got another P0300. Pulled the coils and the Hitachi one looked brand new. The generic one looked rough. Replaced both with new Hitachi parts. It's only a guess, but I think if I'd used Hitachi for both coils way back when, I would not have had to replace them again so soon.

The Hitachi coils at Rockauto are the most expensive but they are a bestseller. (that's what the heart means).
That's gotta say something.

Back