CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: p0300 advice on diagnosing

Registered Member

protege5

Quote Originally Posted by smetzger View Post
    Coil Pack is a Standard Motor Product (so not OEM, not sure if it qualifies as 'cheap generic') it was replaced due to throwing a code. Several months later I got a code again and since the spark plugs were due to be replaced in a couple of thousand miles I replaced them with NGK Platinum. While replacing the plugs the wires pretty much disintegrated, so I rplaced them also. Drove car for a several thousand miles before getting this P0300.

Anyway I haven't gotten any codes in either of my cars since trading the coil packs. So, hopefully just a fluke or bad gas.
    Good to hear. May have just been a fluke, I occasionally get misfire codes on my P5 but it's usually after mud bogging down my street after heavy rains. I have to go fast through deep puddles, or risk getting stuck so I go fast, and water goes everywhere. So i'm sure it's water getting the coils wet or getting down in the spark plug hole, but it always clears up after a mile or so and the light goes off after a day or two. I don't bother clearing it anymore, more trouble than it's worth.

Then again, I can't really say i've ever had any problems with ignition coils on my P5 as others have claimed either. Maybe they don't hold up as well in colder climates? (knocking on wood) I've got almost 270k miles on my P5 now and i've never had a problem with the coils. Broke 2 timing belts, replaced all the motor mounts, suspension makes awful noises in the right rear, and I will never get the belts to not squeak because of all the water/mud/debris that is on them, but the car just keeps going! At this point I just want to see how long it will go before it finally dies... Even after 270k compression is 200+ across the board, doesn't smoke, leak, or use any oil, and every option in the car still works. Maybe a budget commuter car from 15 years ago but mazda definitely did something right when they engineered these things! Because my "maintenance" on this thing has literally been... change the oil, and replace something with the cheapest possible part I can find if it breaks. Not much has broken...

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed View Post
    ... Maybe a budget commuter car from 15 years ago but mazda definitely did something right when they engineered these things! ...
    Except for rust !!

They didn't engineer that too good.
    (Apparently 100% recycled metal)

But,.. I'm at almost 150 k Miles and my car is running fine.
    I'm expecting to get another 4-5 years out of my car.

I get it undercoated every year.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member NaturalFlavored's Avatar

Mazda P5

I don't have to worry about rust since it doesn't snow here, I'm going on 189k miles. Still running strong, but I'm wanting another engine to rebuild. But these are great cars and the style doesn't get old, they will definitely last.

Registered Member

protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    Except for rust !!

They didn't engineer that too good.
    (Apparently 100% recycled metal)

But,.. I'm at almost 150 k Miles and my car is running fine.
    I'm expecting to get another 4-5 years out of my car.

I get it undercoated every year.
    No rust here, except for where there are some rock chips and stuff in the front of the hood. Probably could fix it pretty easily if I cared, but to be honest I never even wash the thing until plants start to grow out of the caked mud in either the wheel well or the gap in the front of the door. That's my "okay... enough is enough, it's time to wash me" alarm.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed View Post
    ... Probably could fix it pretty easily if I cared, but to be honest I never even wash the thing until plants start to grow out of the caked mud in either the wheel well or the gap in the front of the door. That's my "okay... enough is enough, it's time to wash me" alarm.
    I hear that... I'm not washing my car till spring.. It's fricken cold out.

Me and my parts car...

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    You might want to invest in quality coils.

When I first joined this forum I replaced my coils after reading about all the problems they can cause.

I went with Beck-Arnley and they have been working fine since then but if IIRC Hitachi was the OEM supplier of coils for our car.

It might be the only part on my car where I will spend the money to go OEM.

I would recommend the Hitachi coils. I got a P0300 code many years into ownership and replaced both coil packs. (Had to go to both AutoZone and O'Reilly as each store in my area only had one part apiece and I was on my bicycle.) Fast forward only a few years and I got another P0300. Pulled the coils and the Hitachi one looked brand new. The generic one looked rough. Replaced both with new Hitachi parts. It's only a guess, but I think if I'd used Hitachi for both coils way back when, I would not have had to replace them again so soon.
    Protect boys (and the men they become) from harm: www.luckystiff.org (my website)

2002 mazda protege 5

The Hitachi coils at Rockauto are the most expensive but they are a bestseller. (that's what the heart means).
    That's gotta say something.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123