Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100K miles, and stuff needs done...here's what!

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    He*s cool now that they make one that*s not slow.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

He*s cool now that they make one that*s not slow.
    Pretty much. They have a legit world class product, just like they did in 2015 when I got mine. The 2017 and 2018 models disgusted me. The GTR and Sig again make me feel like Mazda is punching far above their weight.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    I can remember when you were quite cynical about your CX5 Unob*. I think you*ve warmed to it and it certainly hasn*t hampered any of the work you*ve done on the ranch. I wish I could be so disciplined about wasting money on new cars.
    Yes, indeed. I am quite pleased with both the cost of ownership and how its held up. I plan to take it to around 200k miles. I gave it a lot of thought, and Im still not ready to endorse it as "super reliable", as it only has 102k on it, but after 120k it is an auction car, so dealer doesnt care if tires are bald or not. I will change tires 1 more time (140k?) And when the brakes reach 2mm on the rear, trade it in. Based on the last 3 years and 102k miles, I predict 175 to 200k miles is where these criteria will occur. If it begins losing multiple parts like wheel bearings, cv joints, etc. It will give me pause, but if it goes strong until the point outlined, I will confidently buy a CPO GTR.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Pretty much. They have a legit world class product, just like they did in 2015 when I got mine. The 2017 and 2018 models disgusted me. The GTR and Sig again make me feel like Mazda is punching far above their weight.
    Completely agree. Gen 2 really disgusted me too when compared to Gen 1. But I can't argue that Mazda is as you say punching high again with their GTR and Sig. I may still hate the overall style and product direction, but can't argue with that.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 77k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Registered Member

2018 CX 5 TOURING

So you guys are saying just drop a turbo in the '18, and you're no longer "disgusted" ?!

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by FRED48 View Post
    So you guys are saying just drop a turbo in the '18, and you're no longer "disgusted" ?!
    Sounds about right

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Give a man a CX-5 and and you'd feed him for a day. Drop a turbo in it and he'll slap his own momma since its that good.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Pretty much. Before that, it was rather "meh". Just another option. Slower than some, faster than others, luxury on par with mid class, many features lacking but driving feel good. Now its just light a few features, but the rest has been bumped to class leading. Just like my 2015 was in 2015.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

At any rate Mazda is definitely punching above their weight considering how small their R&D budgets are compared to Toyota, Honda, Ford ect.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

For me, no. But I can appreciate whether I like it or not, how Mazda is upping their game to appeal to a higher market. It seems to be working for thrm., though a luxury car is not for me.

'17 and '18 CX-5, vs. Gen 1 though? Gen 1 wins on the performance standpoint and I preferred it's styling. Gen 2 wins on styling and up market stuff...if your into that. With the turbo, they have the performance back for Gen 2..even if it's more expensive, but like I said, thats where they are moving.

Before the turbo, Gen 2 was absolutely yes worse than Gen 1 on performance and not caring about the stylistic changes, why wouldnt I have been disgusted? It was taking a gen 1, making it a worse performer, but prettying it up and sound proofing it. Respectable, but I wasn't interested in a worse car (in that aspect) Turbo now makes them perform. So props to them for that. Gen 2 is actually appealing now even if I don't care for the stylistic stuff.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2018 CX 5 TOURING

I think I understand where you're coming from CD (even though, as far as I can tell, you've never really driven a gen2, have you?). When I bought my CX 5 last August, I too would have preferred something more rugged - more like the Tribute I was trading in. Unfortunately, the only vehicles like that these days are Jeeps (I don't go off road that much to justify) and the Forerunner (way too big for my garage; also a lot more expensive to justify). And, quite frankly, I was so happy with the durability and low maintenance of my Tribute after 12 years and 210k, AND the really excellent service I received from my local Mazda dealer, that I was hard pressed to go elsewhere (I've had really bad experiences with Subaru). So, based on all that, and the great reviews it was getting, I went with the CX 5 touring, and am quite pleased with it. Could it be more rugged? Sure, but it does all I need it to do, and it does it well - very fun to drive on road - which is where I am 99% of the time.

Having said all that, would I be tempted by a turbo in a few years? You bet, especially if they drop it in that sexy CX 4!!

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

The gen 2 is a little heavier and without more power is marginally slower. Itís not worse performance wise in any significant way. We looked at both as they had just released the gen 2 so both were on the lot brand new. I had liked the gen 1 and thatís what we initially had looked at. But get into the gen 2 and it just felt like an evolutionary improvement. Most noticeable improvement was noise. And for me personally thatís pretty important.

I think for Unob itís more about the brand image and maybe how that affects resale.

I get the comment about the ruggedness of the Tribute. I think the situation is more buyers want a car not truck. My sister for example when from a RAV4 to Escape (previous gen that was a twin to the Tribute). They had 0 issues with it but she hated it. I think it was mostly she preferred the more car like RAV4. Now she has a Jeep Cherokee that she likes even though itís stranded her (junk 9 speed). Cherokee is basically a dart hatch on stilts.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

The gen 2 is a little heavier and without more power is marginally slower. Itís not worse performance wise in any significant way. We looked at both as they had just released the gen 2 so both were on the lot brand new. I had liked the gen 1 and thatís what we initially had looked at. But get into the gen 2 and it just felt like an evolutionary improvement. Most noticeable improvement was noise. And for me personally thatís pretty important.

I think for Unob itís more about the brand image and maybe how that affects resale.

I get the comment about the ruggedness of the Tribute. I think the situation is more buyers want a car not truck. My sister for example when from a RAV4 to Escape (previous gen that was a twin to the Tribute). They had 0 issues with it but she hated it. I think it was mostly she preferred the more car like RAV4. Now she has a Jeep Cherokee that she likes even though itís stranded her (junk 9 speed). Cherokee is basically a dart hatch on stilts.
    Makes sense. I grew up with soft top Jeeps so noise was literally not at all on my list.

Anyway...makes sense and I agree with your overall assessment.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

I think I understand where you're coming from CD (even though, as far as I can tell, you've never really driven a gen2, have you?). When I bought my CX 5 last August, I too would have preferred something more rugged - more like the Tribute I was trading in. Unfortunately, the only vehicles like that these days are Jeeps (I don't go off road that much to justify) and the Forerunner (way too big for my garage; also a lot more expensive to justify). And, quite frankly, I was so happy with the durability and low maintenance of my Tribute after 12 years and 210k, AND the really excellent service I received from my local Mazda dealer, that I was hard pressed to go elsewhere (I've had really bad experiences with Subaru). So, based on all that, and the great reviews it was getting, I went with the CX 5 touring, and am quite pleased with it. Could it be more rugged? Sure, but it does all I need it to do, and it does it well - very fun to drive on road - which is where I am 99% of the time.

Having said all that, would I be tempted by a turbo in a few years? You bet, especially if they drop it in that sexy CX 4!!
    I've sat in Gen 2s a few times, but have yet to drive one. I went to test drive one with a turbo, but they told me to come back around end of Jan, beginning of Feb.

Rugged I guess is part of it. I am in the mountains a fair bit. Car is going to get filthy. The gen 1 extra ground clearance comes in very handy, especially navigating the very deep ruts that rain puts in my moms very long and steep dirt driveway every spring and the rough conditions that develop on the dirt roads up there. With the right tires, thing has been a tank in weather. Totally convinced on snow tires now after driving back down the mountains in some pretty rough weather on Monday. And it goes when I punch it on the highway.

Gen 2 is too nice for my use is what it boils down to, and I make good money but am really not interested in spending more than $25-30k for a depreciating asset. Feature wise, sure Gen 2 Touring had more than my Touring, but is a worse performer even if marginal. So was unappealing to me. With the turbo in now though, would love to see how the CX-5 turns out in several years when I am ready to replace current car and if the turbo shows up in lower trims.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 01-06-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    I've sat in Gen 2s a few times, but have yet to drive one. I went to test drive one with a turbo, but they told me to come back around end of Jan, beginning of Feb.

Rugged I guess is part of it. I am in the mountains a fair bit. Car is going to get filthy. The gen 1 extra ground clearance comes in very handy, especially navigating the very deep ruts that rain puts in my moms very long and steep dirt driveway every spring and the rough conditions that develop on the dirt roads up there. With the right tires, thing has been a tank in weather. Totally convinced on snow tires now after driving back down the mountains in some pretty rough weather on Monday. And it goes when I punch it on the highway.

Gen 2 is too nice for my use is what it boils down to, and I make good money but am really not interested in spending more than $25-30k for a depreciating asset. Feature wise, sure Gen 2 Touring had more than my Touring, but is a worse performer even if marginal. So was unappealing to me. With the turbo in now though, would love to see how the CX-5 turns out in several years when I am ready to replace current car and if the turbo shows up in lower trims.
    This too. Once my Gen 1 is paid off, it will bomb out to about 3-5K in trade-in value, and I will get a 1 year (model) old CPO turbo CX5 (if I still want one) for around $25k, and will be up front out of pocket around $20-23K, and hopefully 0% APR can happen at that time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12