Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100K miles, and stuff needs done...here's what!

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

100K miles, and stuff needs done...here's what!

Took my CX5 in for the oil change at 102,XXXmi, and they suggested:

-Replace accessory belt "in the near future, say, next oil change-ish" (they showed me the cracks in it, I agree with their opinion.). $160 including tax
    -Replace valve cover gasket later on, monitor for now. (They showed me some seepage/weeping/humidity looking stuff, and I concur, in another 15-20K miles, it may be "a thing".) $130ish
    -Change brake fluid, 3% humidity (agree, meant to do it before). $130ish
    -Change air filter, is dirty (I forget when I did it last, not more than 25K miles ago, but hey, it was dirty looking) I don't recall cost.
    -Change plugs (First time mentioned to me, I did it already though). $300ish...WTF!?
    -Fuel System cleaning (no rationale, I view this as a useless "upcharge", and they did not push it at all, just had it on the sheet.). $160ish

Today I opted to do the brake fluid, air filter, and will do the acc. belt next oil change (7500mi), and the valve cover gasket at around 115-125K miles. I remember on my G20, I had to do this, too, as it was weeping.

All-in-all, I found the things "going bad" on my vehicle to be pretty "it's a machine, man..." type stuff and am not at all put off by it thus far. Also, the dealer recommendations were very sound and free of BS, and noone had any issue showing me the things mentioned, all except the fuel system cleaning, which they did not push and the mechanic did not speak to me about.

I do not know how difficult it is to change the acc. belt on this thing, but I will look into it. Even if you paid the dealership costs, it's still super cheap to have owned for 102K miles. My Jeep required $150 in diff servicing every 15K miles, and the Transfer case $120ish ever 25-30K miles.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Yea thatís all pretty normal stuff to see on a car of that mileage imo. Definitely not anything I would find alarming.

The plugs have a 100k mile interval I believe so if you did it yourself they might just be recommending based on mileage if they didnít know it was done.

I plan to do brake fluid about every 3 years.

OR you could have traded it in for $9500 and just got a enw one?!?!
    Dude...

hahaha

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    OR you could have traded it in for $9500 and just got a enw one?!?!
    Dude...

hahaha
    And gained like 65 hp!

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 100K miles, and stuff needs done...here's what!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    My Mazda dealer would suggest ATF drain-and-fill at 100K miles.

Not surprised on $300ish charge for spark plug replacement as the OEM plug costs $32.27 each. Maintenance schedule for spark plugs on NA 2.5L is 75K miles. For 2.5T itís 40K miles.

There are 2 drive belts for 2.5L. Make sure your dealer is replacing both, not just serpentine belt. Ask them to check tensioner too.

Another maintenance item soon willp be due is the engine coolant: at 120K miles.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post

-Replace accessory belt "in the near future, say, next oil change-ish" (they showed me the cracks in it, I agree with their opinion.). $160 including tax
    -Replace valve cover gasket later on, monitor for now. (They showed me some seepage/weeping/humidity looking stuff, and I concur, in another 15-20K miles, it may be "a thing".) $130ish
    -Change brake fluid, 3% humidity (agree, meant to do it before). $130ish
    -Change air filter, is dirty (I forget when I did it last, not more than 25K miles ago, but hey, it was dirty looking) I don't recall cost.
    -Change plugs (First time mentioned to me, I did it already though). $300ish...WTF!?
    -Fuel System cleaning (no rationale, I view this as a useless "upcharge", and they did not push it at all, just had it on the sheet.). $160ish

Today I opted to do the brake fluid, air filter, and will do the acc. belt next oil change (7500mi), and the valve cover gasket at around 115-125K miles. I remember on my G20, I had to do this, too, as it was weeping.

All-in-all, I found the things "going bad" on my vehicle to be pretty "it's a machine, man..." type stuff and am not at all put off by it thus far. Also, the dealer recommendations were very sound and free of BS, and noone had any issue showing me the things mentioned, all except the fuel system cleaning, which they did not push and the mechanic did not speak to me about.

I do not know how difficult it is to change the acc. belt on this thing, but I will look into it. Even if you paid the dealership costs, it's still super cheap to have owned for 102K miles. My Jeep required $150 in diff servicing every 15K miles, and the Transfer case $120ish ever 25-30K miles.
    Imho: Change your cracked belt if they recommend (wow thats a cheap price they quoted?!) and brake fluid. Have them do it.

+1 on belt tensioner.

Spark plugs I'm pretty sure you can do yourself. You merely need to buy a Ford spark plug removal tool (or right sized one) if I recall. Otherwise negotiate on service pricing at dealership. Check for online dealership service coupons.

Valve cover gasket having some weepage at that mileage is normal for a lot of cars. imho bypass this for now. Simply wipe clean all edges of cover gasket and track every oil change. If it simply weeps a little bit every oil change then its normal. If its to the point its dripping then change. I believe it does not require a lot of technical expertise to do so.
    Last edited by CX-5um; 01-04-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Itís not a bad idea to replace the tensioner too when you get the belts replaced. If you do the replacement belts will probably last as long as the first set.

Not sure if that tensioner will go to 200k. Then again if youíre only planning to keep the car another year or so......

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Agreed on Tensioner. Had to replace it earlier this year, and went ahead and had a new serpentine belt put on at the same time.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 77k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White

How difficult is it to replace both belts and tensioner?

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by gova View Post
    How difficult is it to replace both belts and tensioner?
    Personally, I didn't have the right tools and didn't want to mess with it, so I paid and got it done at a shop. Didn't seem to take them long as I was there for maybe an hour?

I think there are some folks on here who did it themselves though who could chime in.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Doesnít look difficult for the 2.0L. Iíll probably do it on my own when the time comes. Donít know how hard the tensioner is to replace though, havenít found that tutorial yet.

http://www.mcx5.org/drive_belt_remov...2_0_-1644.html

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Imho: Change your cracked belt if they recommend (wow thats a cheap price they quoted?!) and brake fluid. Have them do it.

+1 on belt tensioner.
    Hopefully not just a turkey baster replacement of fluid in master cylinder... as paranoid as I can be I'd post check the work and pop the rubber protector cap off a sample bleeder to make sure they actually did it.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - Liquid Silver Metallic (04/2014 build-07/2014 delivery) - 47K Miles

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Hopefully not just a turkey baster replacement of fluid in master cylinder... as paranoid as I can be I'd post check the work and pop the rubber protector cap off a sample bleeder to make sure they actually did it.
    I trust 'em. They do good work. My brakes felt amazing afterward, too. Much firmer pedal!

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

I can remember when you were quite cynical about your CX5 Unob*. I think you*ve warmed to it and it certainly hasn*t hampered any of the work you*ve done on the ranch. I wish I could be so disciplined about wasting money on new cars.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    I can remember when you were quite cynical about your CX5 Unob*. I think you*ve warmed to it and it certainly hasn*t hampered any of the work you*ve done on the ranch. I wish I could be so disciplined about wasting money on new cars.
    Heís cool now that they make one thatís not slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast