Tire research paralysis

coastie

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
2017 w/19"

The A36s are done.

I live in the coastal range in Oregon but work in the valley, so I commute ~40 miles each way over a 1500 foot pass on the craziest road of 180-degree switchbacks and high grades (with a dead drop on one side, an upward cliff on the other) when I have to go into town.

I am not as worried about snow/ice (I will just stay home if I can't drive it) but I am really, really worried about wet cornering. (In particular because I love to hammer those switchbacks from time to time :) )

I am looking at the Pirelli Cinturato P7s. But I see the occasional gripe about wet performance.
Consumer reports doesn't seem to mind. The billion reviews on Tire Rack on *average* don't seem to have the same issue (but some individual comments do.)

Given I have not plumetted to my death on the A36s (and I think they are horrible tires) ....

Mountain out of a molehill and pull the trigger on the Perillis? Go for Continental (but I had a bad OEM experience with those on my truck...)? General RT43?

I am mentally just blocked on this.

I have P7 AS+ on my 2013 Lexus ES. I can't recommend them enough. I couldn't wait to replace the stock Bridgestones. I have no complaints in wet weather driving conditions. I'm not sure how they would perform on a CUV, though. We put Perelli Scorpions on our old CR-V, which were also very good in all conditions.

We just picked up our CX-5 and I'm already looking forward to replacing the A36's!

Been very happy with my continental sure contact from NTB in the rain and dry cornering.

I*ve owned and driven a lot of miles on both the Continental Pure Contacts and the General Altimax RT43 and for me the Generals are every bit the tire the Continentals are, usually for a good bit less. Wet traction is the same = very good. If I could get the Generals for $100 less for 4 I*d buy them and then buy 3 cases of Kona Big Wave with the difference.

I have owned CrossContact LX20 and General Rt43. Kindof a wash except I liked the rim lip protection I seem to recall the Lx20s having. They both did well in the rain, and dry. In fact, stopping in the rain on the rt43 is about the same as stopping in the dry a small bit of abs provokation from a brake slam at 50mph, and youre stopped. Impressed.

I*ve owned and driven a lot of miles on both the Continental Pure Contacts and the General Altimax RT43 and for me the Generals are every bit the tire the Continentals are, usually for a good bit less. Wet traction is the same = very good. If I could get the Generals for $100 less for 4 I*d buy them and then buy 3 cases of Kona Big Wave with the difference.

Agreed.

I have owned CrossContact LX20 and General Rt43. Kindof a wash except I liked the rim lip protection I seem to recall the Lx20s having. They both did well in the rain, and dry. In fact, stopping in the rain on the rt43 is about the same as stopping in the dry a small bit of abs provokation from a brake slam at 50mph, and youre stopped. Impressed.

The Generals cannot be beat for the price, especially with wet traction. It really is that simple.

The Generals cannot be beat for the price, especially with wet traction. It really is that simple.

I don't think I can argue with that. They have been great. Got 7500mi on them and they are down to 9/32. By this time my Nokian WRG3 SUV's were down to 6-7/32. The Nokians were also much slipperier in the rain.

I had a set of Continental come on a Chevy a while back... They were hands down the worst tires I ever owned. I am not sure I could get over that :)

I got the P7s. I have 500 miles on them - including a biblical deluge. They do not slip on wet and did magnificent vs. standing water.

They are 100% quieter than the stock Toyos. They do have a bit of oversteer if you are really hitting corners hard. I think perhaps maybe some people thought their rear was kicking out when it was their front end digging in.

That all said:

This is the best consumer purchase I have made in the last year.

Last edited:
Back