Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody turned their GT's camera into a dash cam?

Registered Member

TBD

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    You'd be asking them to develop custom software so that you can forego the entire Navigation system to use a camera of unknown quality to act as a dashcam. I'm not a software engineer, but I'd assume that developing the software to get the camera to write to the Nav SD card on a continuous loop would be very expensive. It would also take a while to develop (if you could even get them to do it, I highly doubt you could), and it probably (most certainly) wouldn't work as well as a cheap dashcam.

Buy a dashcam and keep your Nav instead.
    The infotainment system IS custom software. There are already device interfaces to the SD card and questionable-quality camera. A decent developer could have an app ready to test with a week or two of work. Camera quality will improve over time.

As for the Nav, it is not very useful without live traffic. I use Waze on CarPlay.

In the short term, an OTS dashcam is the only feasible solution IMHO. In a longer term, a built-in solution is much more elegant, especially for those not into DIY.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by PaulZooms View Post
    The infotainment system IS custom software. There are already device interfaces to the SD card and questionable-quality camera. A decent developer could have an app ready to test with a week or two of work. Camera quality will improve over time.

As for the Nav, it is not very useful without live traffic. I use Waze on CarPlay.

In the short term, an OTS dashcam is the only feasible solution IMHO. In a longer term, a built-in solution is much more elegant, especially for those not into DIY.
    To improve image quality, you would need to replace the image sensor. Plus, they use fisheye lenses, so it will never look very good.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

The 2014s used to have diagnostic codes which you could type in to enable the rear camera to be on all the time, not sure about the new stuff.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Ok, apparently you've changed the topic. Initially you wanted to tap into your own car's camera by getting a developer to spend a week or two of work on building an app that integrates the safety camera on the windshield with the SD card used for Navigation. My point was that even if you could hire a developer to do that, you'd be spending a LOT more on them than on a basic dashcam with the same function, while offering many more useful features.

Now, with this post, it seems you're talking about a long-term solution, which I agree could be a nice solution in the future. Even then, it's not worth considering until Mazda upgrades the quality of their cameras.

Registered Member

Mazda,CX-5 GT

You'd be asking them to develop custom software so that you can forego the entire Navigation system to use a camera of unknown quality to act as a dashcam. I'm not a software engineer, but I'd assume that developing the software to get the camera to write to the Nav SD card on a continuous loop would be very expensive. It would also take a while to develop (if you could even get them to do it, I highly doubt you could), and it probably (most certainly) wouldn't work as well as a cheap dashcam.

Buy a dashcam and keep your Nav instead.
    Same could be said about in-dash Nav systems 10 years ago, and then cars didn't already have the hardware already like they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by mcewena View Post
    Same could be said about in-dash Nav systems 10 years ago, and then cars didn't already have the hardware already like they do now.
    Read my last post. Initially OP wanted to use the camera on his car as a dashcam. Now he's changed his tune and would like to see it implemented on future models.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

TBD

Read my last post. Initially OP wanted to use the camera on his car as a dashcam. Now he's changed his tune and would like to see it implemented on future models.
    Actually, I have no interest in a dashcam. I thought the discussion was interesting and I was spitballing about how the various devices and systems could be linked.

Actually, I have no interest in a dashcam. I thought the discussion was interesting and I was spitballing about how the various devices and systems could be linked.
    Yikes, my mistake. It seems I confused you with the OP starting at post #19, haha. Sorry about that.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda,CX-5 GT

No I'm not, I'm just pointing out (spitballing as it were) the car already has 95% of the hardware required, as do several other brands. Seems silly to rely on aftermarket devices in that case but obviously that's the most cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by mcewena View Post
    No I'm not, I'm just pointing out (spitballing as it were) the car already has 95% of the hardware required, as do several other brands. Seems silly to rely on aftermarket devices in that case but obviously that's the most cost effective.
    I wouldn't say that that's exactly the case. Especially if you're comparing it to a basic dashcam, which again, has the sensors/software built for emergency recordings, G-sensor/impact detection, motion detection, and time lapse. The camera/software in the CX-5 is not equipped for any of that. Thus, not only is it cost-effective, it is also the best option to just get a dashcam.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Trick question! You can*t see anything...it was dark!
    Haha. I guess it was pretty dark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12