Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody turned their GT's camera into a dash cam?

Registered Member

Mazda,CX-5 GT

Anybody turned their GT's camera into a dash cam?

I was toying with the idea of buying a dashcam and then thought: Wait a minute this thing already has a camera built in from the factory, I wonder if there's some way of tapping into that through the OBD port to turn it into a dash cam? I know it's sort of possible because the dealer installed a recording device in it for a couple of weeks when it was shutting down the cruise/lane/high beam features (until service bulletin applied).

'18 GT

Registered Member

CX-5

Interesting. Curious, can you display the front camera on the screen while in drive?

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

Need to somehow attach a recording device (hard disk) I'd imagine. Probably easier/cheaper to just buy dash cam...

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

The quality of the camera, at least the rear one since I haven't seen the front one, isn't good enough to be a dash cam in my opinion. I put my suction cup windshield dash cam in my car and the wire from it is not obtrusive at all. I am pretty happy with it. See if you can spot it in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMbq8fhh6Y

2019 Signature CX-5 Black Mica

I was wondering about the same thing using the 360 camera. It would be great if it could be done.

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

I think you*ll find it has nowhere near the range or quality of a stand alone good quality dashcam. It*s a proximity device that sits behind a plastic screen. Unless you*ve got loads of time and a healthy budget, you*d be better going buying a dashcam.

Registered Member

TBD

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Need to somehow attach a recording device (hard disk) I'd imagine. Probably easier/cheaper to just buy dash cam...
    What about the SD card?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulZooms View Post
    What about the SD card?
    What SD card?

Registered Member

TBD

Anybody turned their GT's camera into a dash cam?

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    What SD card?
    The one that contains the map data for Nav near the USB ports. Using it for camera data would make it unavailable for Nav, but it obviously is accessible to the system.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    The quality of the camera, at least the rear one since I haven't seen the front one, isn't good enough to be a dash cam in my opinion. I put my suction cup windshield dash cam in my car and the wire from it is not obtrusive at all. I am pretty happy with it. See if you can spot it in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMbq8fhh6Y
    Trick question! You can*t see anything...it was dark!

Registered Member

Mazda,CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Absolutely cheaper yes. The Mazda dealer installed a recording device in about 10 minutes as part of their diagnostic procedure as to why my auto cruise was shutting off so I'm not sure about the easier part. I didn't look at the time but it probably was some sort of micro SD device attached to the OBD port. Of course I had no access to it's output either but you'd think it would be easy for them to make that a consumer device (rear camera too).

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

IMO, it isn't worth the time and effort when you can get a good 1080p/30fps front and rear dashcam with a 256gb microSD card for under $250 on eBay/Amazon.

Not to mention the fact that most dashcams (even the cheap $40 ones) have features like emergency recording (push a button to "lock" the current recording), G-force/impact detection, motion detection, time lapse, and even GPS capability.

It would be bad enough trying to access the camera but then trying to get it to store data on the MZD card would be something else. What about the data that is already on it?

Registered Member

TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    It would be bad enough trying to access the camera but then trying to get it to store data on the MZD card would be something else. What about the data that is already on it?
    It would require an empty card to record a continuous loop. Built-in Nav would obviously be unavailable.

This would be a developer solution- not a DIY project. Something Mazda could offer requiring very little or no new hardware. Just software.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by PaulZooms View Post
    It would require an empty card to record a continuous loop. Built-in Nav would obviously be unavailable.

This would be a developer solution- not a DIY project. Something Mazda could offer requiring very little or no new hardware. Just software.
    You'd be asking them to develop custom software so that you can forego the entire Navigation system to use a camera of unknown quality to act as a dashcam. I'm not a software engineer, but I'd assume that developing the software to get the camera to write to the Nav SD card on a continuous loop would be very expensive. It would also take a while to develop (if you could even get them to do it, I highly doubt you could), and it probably (most certainly) wouldn't work as well as a cheap dashcam.

Buy a dashcam and keep your Nav instead.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast