2018 CX-5 showing incorrect text message name, can't figure it out

Both phones are on Oreo but every carrier has a different build. I was wondering why the car sometimes gets the names right. It has to do with TouchWiz on oreo or some issue with the contact list. Have no idea at this point. Hope it's a simple firmware fix, my lease just started and don't wanna deal with this the whole time.

True they do but perhaps it is something in the underpinnings of Oreo. While Touchwiz is installed on my phone it is not the default launcher. On the Mazda side I am now running version 70 (before that version 59.00.546 and whatever was prior to that when I first purchased car) and the text issue persists on all. Must be something to do with Samsung phones Galaxy 7 and above PLUS perhaps Oreo? Would love to know [a] if anyone is using one of those phones and is not having a text issue, and/or using one of the phones with Nougat (Android 7) or Pie (Android 9) and is having the same issue.

Hi Vspot/Spudly

I have an S7 which is still on V7.0 (Nougat). It's not tied to a particular carrier as I purchased it separately and I'm on a SIM only deal with Vodafone. It has the latest updates as given out by Samsung in the UK. No problems with text message name. I'm on firmware 70.00.100 although without the hardware update for AA/Carplay. Hope this helps in narrowing down the issue.

Hi Vspot/Spudly

I have an S7 which is still on V7.0 (Nougat). It's not tied to a particular carrier as I purchased it separately and I'm on a SIM only deal with Vodafone. It has the latest updates as given out by Samsung in the UK. No problems with text message name. I'm on firmware 70.00.100 although without the hardware update for AA/Carplay. Hope this helps in narrowing down the issue.

I'm starting to lean towards an issue with Oreo, Samsung and Mazda Connect. What's interesting is that all text messages that come through while connected via android auto are correct, so this really seems to be a software issue. The Android Auto experience is ok so far, it has little quarks hear and there. Having the Google Assistant for voice commands is awesome! It only took me about 2hrs to install the hardware and the install instructions are excellent. If anyone is on the fence I say go for it!

I'm starting to lean towards an issue with Oreo, Samsung and Mazda Connect. What's interesting is that all text messages that come through while connected via android auto are correct, so this really seems to be a software issue. The Android Auto experience is ok so far, it has little quarks hear and there. Having the Google Assistant for voice commands is awesome! It only took me about 2hrs to install the hardware and the install instructions are excellent. If anyone is on the fence I say go for it!

After now having AA for about 2 weeks I tend to agree with you. While I don't love the Android Auto implementation of messaging (the notification doesn't stay on screen long enough for me to view) the few text messages I have received have been accurate. I'd still like a larger sample size to say it for certain but I haven't gotten any incorrect recipients!

Side Note: Other notifications / messages that aren't SMS/MMS specifically will play through Android Auto as well. Not sure what the protocol is but Facebook Messenger messages showed up and played through AA.

Hi Vspot/Spudly

Phone has just auto updated to Android V8 (Oreo), hope I don't end up in the same situation with text messaging.

try a different messaging app. I have a google Nexus 5X on Oreo and use Signal with no problems

As noted earlier in this and other threads it is not the messaging app. As vspot415 said, it's seems as though the combination of Samsung Galaxy (at least on S7 & S8 series) + Oreo + Mazda Connect. That seems to be the common thread when this issue happens. Other phones using Oreo don't seem to have the problem and that's likely why that the issue is not more widely known. It is a real thing and those seem to be the common components (carrier has also been eliminated as has Mazda firmware version). Maybe it is something even more specific but there just isn't enough people on the forum to do more troubleshooting.

Phone has just auto updated to Android V8 (Oreo), hope I don't end up in the same situation with text messaging.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out. (I see you are also in the UK? Perhaps it only applies to US version?)

Good luck! Let us know how you make out. (I see you are also in the UK? Perhaps it only applies to US version?)

I noticed that AA updated itself on Google Play and one improvement mentioned in the changelog was "Improved support for rotary controllers" plus other bug fixes. This might possibly help? (I did use AA when I had to hire a Vauxhall (GM) car last year, that's why it's still on the phone). Personally I found it too laggy, especially when I was told I was approaching a roundabout when I'd already passed it(confused) No one's sent me a text message yet whilst driving after the Oreo update so I'll report back on any success or otherwise when I receive one.

Sounds like you Samsung owners need to take a OnePlus or a Pixel for a spin. Your phones would all be working and already updated to Android 9. Samsung is the Bose of smartphones.

Sounds like you Samsung owners need to take a OnePlus or a Pixel for a spin. Your phones would all be working and already updated to Android 9. Samsung is the Bose of smartphones.

Well getting off topic for a bit. ;-) I wouldn't mind one of those great phones but there are other factors involved which don't quite allow that for me. In addition, the Note 8 happens to have some unique features- the Pen in particular which the 1+/ and ` don't have.

On topic it does seem to give more ammunition that the problem does involve Samsung Phones running Oreo and the Mazda Infotainment. Using Android Auto instead of Mazda for text notifications do not present the problem. Bonus is that the newest update of AA will display the text messages when vehicle is not moving.

Samsung is the #1 Android maker in the US... I would think we'd hear A LOT more about it if it was specifically Sammy's and Oreo though. I know signs point to that in this thread but you know there are plenty of Sammy's on O working just fine. I hate to even suggest it but at this point I would try a factory reset. Of both devices. Obviously the Head Unit first... reset to defaults. Re-pair device. I know it's a pain in the butt to redo a phone but it's better today then it's ever been especially if you are using Google Smart Lock.

Samsung is the #1 Android maker in the US... I would think we'd hear A LOT more about it if it was specifically Sammy's and Oreo though. I know signs point to that in this thread but you know there are plenty of Sammy's on O working just fine. I hate to even suggest it but at this point I would try a factory reset. Of both devices. Obviously the Head Unit first... reset to defaults. Re-pair device. I know it's a pain in the butt to redo a phone but it's better today then it's ever been especially if you are using Google Smart Lock.

Done and done.
While I agree on all points once you narrow the that it's likely specific Samsung phones (Galaxy S7,S8,S9 series) then narrow the particular manufacturer/model/year (?) of the car (Mazda/CX5/2018) and then have people who are 'savvy' enough to realize/complain of the problem and/or post about the problem- and where are they posting? This board? Other boards? I am not claiming with 100% certainty rather trying to troubleshoot why this is happening- because it most definitely is. I am a 'tech guy' by trade who has been in the field as a professional since 1990. I was a hobbyist since the late 70s.

Anecdotally I see plenty of people driving later model cars (including higher end ones) and still holding their phones to their ears and talking. I am sure those cars have bluetooth but obviously there is still a lot of people who don't bother for whatever reason.

Maybe other lines of the Samsung phones J-series, etc. don't have the problem. Are older Galaxy S phones (6 and below) on Oreo or are they still on Nougat or below?

I certainly don't have all the answers and perhaps am wrong but just trying to find commonality among those who have chimed in with the problem. Turning your response around I have asked if anyone using a Samsung Galaxy s7/s8/s9 with Oreo and using MazdaConnect on their CX5 have NOT experienced a problem and haven't received anyone to say it is working perfectly. I'm sure that's likely because most people who are on a board like this are already ahead of the curve as far finding out more information about their cars and that subset has a variety of different phone handsets. I guess a smart thing to do would go to a Samsung board and post a question on there about the specific car but I would venture it would be a small subset too.

I wish I had an answer for sure. The dealership cannot provide one, Mazda cannot provide one but the issue is real. It's likely just not a lot of people fall into the category and have the awareness to speak about it. Plus (and fortunately) using Android Auto which I did not have until a few weeks doesn't exhibit the same problem. But it still exists... this morning while driving I didn't bother using Android Auto and when I got a text it most certainly displayed the wrong contact.

FWIW....

Just remember my co-worker with the Mazda 6 has a S8. I will see what OS it is on. Her texting works just fine.

I think for me the most frustrating part is the sporadic nature of this issue. Some days it'll be completely fine and other days most messages will have the incorrect name. Some contacts are always correct and some are always wrong. It's really hard to pin point the issue on this one. I wonder if I can find a workaround. Maybe create a separate contact list with only favorites and just import those into Mazda Connect?

Meant to reply beforehand but life got in the way. Tried my wife's S7 on Android 7 texting to my S7 on Android 8 - Text message received fine with correct number on CMU display. Updated my wife's phone to Android 8 and sent a text message to my phone - still fine with correct number and name on CMU display. I don't know what the answer is.(huh) This is in the UK with both phones using Vodafone as the carrier.

Back