Strange rattle that comes and goes at random right rear door area.

Zeromarine

:
2018 cx5
Strange rattle on a 2018 CX5 that comes and goes at random right rear door area.

I have. A 2018 cx5
This rattle ticking noise is pretty random. The first time I head it I was driving on a town road a bit bumpy but not to bad going about 50km. The car was dead quiet then all of a sudden from the right rear door or window area a ticking noise in quick succession about 30 click noises really quickly in about 10 seconds. . Being in the industry for a long time (out now). I opened the right rear window then closed it and the sound went away. Didnt show up again until about 2 weeks later driving on the highway after driving for about 10 min just randomly did the same thing again. Opening and closing the window didnt do much. Then it just went away on its own. And it will randomly apear. On roads that arnt even that bumpy. Its strange. Some times I can drive all around town and it wont make the noise and over pot holes and big bumps. Any ideas? Maybe the door glass run seal ? Being its so random its hard to pin point it. Opening the windo and making it go away could have been a fluke also. But ya very random.

Only other odd creak I have is from the Center dash speaker cover when cold at hwy speed when both wheels hit a large sharp bump it makes a quick crack noise sometimes. When it warms up it almost never does.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry no. Random rattles are the worst. Have you tried lubricating the window rubbers with silicone spray? Although try not to get it on the glass if possible as it smears.

No ideas either. I also have a rattle coming from the left rear when I go over bumps that I haven*t identified either.

You use the words *rattle* and *ticking*. I associate ticking as a sort of mechanical noise that occurs at a regular frequency (the ticking of a clock) and a rattle is a noise that is more random (dropping a marble on the floor). Is it more one versus the other?

Perhaps there*s a loose bolt that is vibrating or perhaps it has fallen out of its position and only rattles when it rolls into a certain spot.

I take it this is a 1976 Ford Mustang?

Of course it could be a CX5 but due to the complete lack of information, I*m guessing. For that reason I*m not even going to bother trawling my TSBs. Not got any on Mustangs anyway.

The stereo shop: (headbang)Often noises from some model vehicles are a direct cause and effect...the cause lack of sound deadening material and lots of plastic parts. The effect an annoying on and off rattle or noise!!!! If you are sure the sound is coming from the door...by all means pull the panel and have ready your arsenal of electrical tape both conventional and cloth type, zip ties, a sheet or two of some sound demanding material like FAT MAT or similar and have at it.

Check your rear cargo area under the lift up flooring section. The emergency tools or something under there may be loose.

Sorry yes its a 2018 cx5. Thanks everyone. I havent heard it for a week. But Im going on a couple hundred km trip tomorrow with my buddy from Mazda master tech so if it happeneds he can pin point it on the drive. Ill check the tools and stuff too. Thanks again!

Right side noise

I heard something similar and noticed that the passenger seat belt clip was hitting/vibrating against the middle console (when no one is seated). I push it against the leather seat when i hear the sound, and it always takes care of it. Might not be your rear sound, but something to check out.

Back