2016-2017 CX9 Brake servicing

:
‘17 CX9 & ‘19 3 GT
Just wondering any 2016/2017 CX9 owners if youve done or brake servicing was required. My 2017 Sig is 2 yrs old now but have never done the annual brake service that dealership recommends. Reason is my mileage is low (only 12K miles) and last fall the tire service center inspected the brake pads/rotors etc and said still like new) and I dont hear any squeals or anything from the brakes. Is this something that could void warranty later on or is critical or only a preventive maintenance required by dealer service centers? Any advise would be appreciated....

Please don't fall for the dealership "recommended" maintenance nonsense. They absolutely will try to sell you services that are borderline absurd. This brake maintenance on a relatively new 12K miles vehicle is a perfect example of that. Mazda gave you a manual with the maintenance schedule for your vehicle I suggest that you read that and tell the dealer 'no thanks' on anything above and beyond what that mandates. Based on what they are trying to sell you already I am pretty sure you'll be up thousands of dollars in savings over the life of the vehicle.

"the annual brake service that dealership recommends"
(no)

SCAM

rowlands nailed it. The "annual brake service" is very important...for the dealership's profit.

Please don't fall for the dealership "recommended" maintenance nonsense. They absolutely will try to sell you services that are borderline absurd. This brake maintenance on a relatively new 12K miles vehicle is a perfect example of that. Mazda gave you a manual with the maintenance schedule for your vehicle I suggest that you read that and tell the dealer 'no thanks' on anything above and beyond what that mandates. Based on what they are trying to sell you already I am pretty sure you'll be up thousands of dollars in savings over the life of the vehicle.

I figured that it was simply a dealer recommended maintenance/tactic and quoted me over $200 for the service which I declined. The service advisor later on told me that they also needed to do a flushing of the brake fluid which would*ve cost $100! I declined that too since I*ve owned a Volvo previous to that for 7yrs and never required to do a brake fluid flushing...I seem to recall that even radiator coolant lasts for 100K Kms before recommenced flushing so brake fluid flush at 12K miles? Really?! I said no not needed...

While you might not need a brake fluid flushing at 12k, I would not go 7 years without changing the brake fluid on any vehicle. That is neither safe nor prudent.

To most maintenance: what does the manual say?

While you might not need a brake fluid flushing at 12k, I would not go 7 years without changing the brake fluid on any vehicle. That is neither safe nor prudent.

To most maintenance: what does the manual say?

I couldn't find a specified mileage for the brake fluid flushing in the manual though if you research it online, a good rule of thumb is to do the fluid flushing every 30K miles...given the mileage that I have then likely when the vehicle turns 3-4yrs old. That I can accept but not at 12K miles...

Not related to brakes but to dealer part of this story - I brought my 2010 CX-9 in for airbag recall and when they called my wife to pick up the car they told her 3 light bulbs were out(2 front and 1 rear) and for $45 they could replace them. She called me and I told her to decline. Of course when she got home we went over every possible light and none were out. Amazing

Kia dealer story---The Mrs. took it in for a warranty repair to the thrust bearing at the top of a front strut. OK. They also told her that her air filter was due for replacement. I'd replaced it 2 weeks earlier. I went into the service department with photos of the air filter and said, politely and loudly..."PUT INTO YOUR COMPUTER RECORDS TO NEVER LIE TO MY WIFE AGAIN."

The service department is the gold mine for the dealership owner. The techs get paid by the job. The service writers get a commission for the work they sell (needed or not). If they don't sell enough, they get fired. It's a rotten system.

About brake fluid and coolant---both those have lives that are more related to time than mileage. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air. 2 to 3 years is a good period for replacement. Sooner in humid climates, longer in dry climates. The widely used DOT3 brake fluid absorbs moisture at a slower rate than the DOT4 fluid used in (hotter) high performance systems. Coolant is either conventional or long life. The widely used long live formulations are usually good for five years. Old fashioned conventional coolant has about a 2 year life before the corrosion inhibitors and other essential additives become depleted. Always use a coolant that is labeled as suitable for your car's make. The universal products are probably OK.

On my 2016 CX-5, the dealer recommended the service. At the time, that car was a lease with all scheduled maintenance paid for. I told the dealer "if Mazda recommends it, and it's covered in the scheduled maintenance, then do it". Of course, it wasn't, so they didn't perform the service.

FYI - I'm another in the "dealers lie" camp. At a later time, with the same car, the same dealer told me our rear brake pads needed replacement. They even told me it was down to "Xmm" thickness. I brought the car home and ordered new pads. When I went to replace them, the rear pads were much thicker than they told me. In fact, they didn't need replacement at all, not even close.

It's sad that there is so much corroboration of my disdain of the service department experience that has become all too common. It does look like the profit center moved to the back of the shop from the sales floor since the internet has made pricing information so easy to find and compare. Now they resort to the same veiled lies, just at the service counter. It truly angers me that they pull this nonsense and throw these huge numbers at people like it nothing and you would be crazy/unsafe/etc... not to immediately follow their recommendation. Of course you still need your guard up in the F&I office, but that's another thread altogether.

I just had my 2012 GT model in for the airbag recall and it was recommended that I pony up for almost $1,400 of useless dealer services that would add zero value and not contribute to the longevity of my vehicle. They serve this stuff up with a smile and hope that people will fall for it. Sadly lots of folks do because they don't frequent sites such as this one. It's a universal thing and ranges across every brand I have ever owned. I avoid the dealership at all costs and only go there for warranty work that I cannot perform myself.

Well.. just like the India irs scam calls, they will bound to catch idiots who will believe their words. What angers me more is if you don't let them tax you with their useless recommended services, they will treat you like $*it

Well.. just like the India irs scam calls, they will bound to catch idiots who will believe their words. What angers me more is if you don't let them tax you with their useless recommended services, they will treat you like $*it

That is another excellent point. Thank God I have not had the experience of depending on a service department for help with the corporate folks like some others have. I just buy my cars with the hope that I'll never have to darken the service department's door in the course of my ownership. It has worked out that way a few times I'm happy to say. With this Mazda, but for recalls, I would have been successful in never visiting the dealership after taking delivery.

Back