Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long should the windscreen take to demist?

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I haven't tried this, but you can try cleaning the inside of the windshield with shaving foam. Apparently hockey players do this to their face masks to prevent fogging. You just spray the shaving foam onto a cloth and then wipe it clean (preferably with a microfiber cloth). It's only a temporary measure as you'll eventually have to reapply, but it might help.
    I can remember spitting into my diving mask to prevent fogging.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 2.2d Manual Sport Nav+, Eternal Blue

I'm in the UK too and had the same problem yesterday morning, started the car, switched on the window de-mister and rear window/mirror de-icer, cleared the ice from the outside and was ready to go but the inside took another 5 minutes to clear (on a Sport Nav+). This does seem to take a lot longer than any other car or van I've owned. I'll have to give the inside of the windows a good clean at the weekend and see if that helps. Regarding shaving foam, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vj9avZxuwI, ChrisFix always has the answer!

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    I can remember spitting into my diving mask to prevent fogging.
    I remember doing that as well. Shaving foam on my windshield is something I can live with, but spitting all over the interior windshield of my brand new car is something different altogether! Lol

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

One thing you US guys want to keep in mind is that these UK owners haven*t declared what engine they have. Diesel engines are very thermally efficient and most of the heat they produce from combustion goes out through the exhaust. Gasoline engines are far from thermally efficient and the heat is dissipated into the engine and has a way faster warm up than a diesel. The comment about the heater elements, they are not designed to clear the screen, they stop the wipers sticking to the screen and they clear the build up of snow that you get at each end of the stroke and they work perfectly on both counts.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 SportNav+ 2.2 diesel Manual MGM

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    One thing you US guys want to keep in mind is that these UK owners haven*t declared what engine they have. Diesel engines are very thermally efficient and most of the heat they produce from combustion goes out through the exhaust. Gasoline engines are far from thermally efficient and the heat is dissipated into the engine and has a way faster warm up than a diesel. The comment about the heater elements, they are not designed to clear the screen, they stop the wipers sticking to the screen and they clear the build up of snow that you get at each end of the stroke and they work perfectly on both counts.
    Yup, ours is the 2.2D.
    I suggest though, no matter what the engine, that 15mins to demist a windscreen is way too long. Far longer than any other car we've ever owned.
    It's booked in to the dealers for a look see but I imagine the problem will be next to impossible to reproduce....

Registered Member

I assumed the air conditioning comes on when the windshield defrost button is pushed. It does on mine and I suspect everyone else’s too. Is this programmed differently in Europe? The ac should remove that moisture quickly.

Another cause is dampness inside caused by tracking in snow or having something wet inside the vehicle.

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    I assumed the air conditioning comes on when the windshield defrost button is pushed. It does on mine and I suspect everyone else*s too. Is this programmed differently in Europe? The ac should remove that moisture quickly.

Another cause is dampness inside caused by tracking in snow or having something wet inside the vehicle.
    No it*s the same. Mine doesn*t take 15 minutes to demist, I have to be half way to work in that time.

Registered Member

was 175ps sport manual, now 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    With the windshield demist setting on (the windshield with the stinky lines), ensure your system is not set to Recirculate. The system should be drawing air in from outside. You can also crack the windows while you're waiting for the car to warm up.
    This is the only time I've had misting issues, when I had left to recirculating.

Registered Member

was 175ps sport manual, now 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    We haven't had our CX-5 long enough to know how well it works on this vehicle. But, I have it in my Lexus and it is not "pointless". At least once you are moving. I don't think it was meant to defrost the windshield, just keep ice from building up at the bottom of the glass while driving.
    Its to prevent the wipers freezing to the screen.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Came home from work and thought my windshield was shattered. Nope it had so much dew on inside it looked grey at night. None of the other cars had any condensation on inside. Something is wrong with gen1 windshield design or door seals
    Last edited by Kaps; 01-05-2019 at 05:50 AM.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post

Came home from work and thought my windshield was shattered. Nope it had so much dew on inside it looked grey at night. None of the other cars had any condensation on inside. Something is wrong with gen1 windshield design or door seals
    My 2013 CX-5 sits in my driveway pretty much the whole day since I work from home and it faces the sun for a majority of the day. Needless to say, I have a sunshade. When I take my kid to school at 7am, here is dew on the glass, but that*s on the outside. However, I*ve noticed that if I drive it in the early evening, there is a build up of condensation on the inside of the windshield. The other day, my daughter, who was in the passenger seat, tried to wipe it off, and it was so thick, it was just leaving water drops as she tried to wipe it with a paper napkin.

I had a Honda Accord previously and one cold (for South Florida) morning when we got in for school drop off, the back glass was fogged up more than usual. I used my squeegee to clear the dew, but it was still not clear. I figured there was condensation on the inside, so I didn*t worry about it. When I got home, it was still not clear and when I did a closer inspection, it turns out the glass was shattered. There must have been a short or something with the rear defroster because the replacement glass also shattered a couple of days after it was installed. I just had the installer disconnect the defroster instead of fixing it. It was a 10 year old car.

Registered Member

Yup, the A/C comes on ok.
    I was thinking about inability to get rid of moisture too - assuming the A/C works as it should, there shouldn*t be much inside the car. The A/C is on all the time so should get rid of dampness from shoes / breathing etc.
    I wonder if the car has been correctly programmed from its shipping settings?

I have a horrible feeling that the only way I*ll be able to prove there is a problem is to get out there one cold morning and film it from startup to 75% clear. That*ll take about 20mins!

Registered Member

Ps, anyone know why this forum changes apostrophes to asterisks?

Some kind of long standing glitch.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by wow400 View Post
    Ps, anyone know why this forum changes apostrophes to asterisks?
    I think it's and Apple thing. (Mine are not *)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast