Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long should the windscreen take to demist?

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 SportNav+ 2.2 diesel Manual MGM

How long should the windscreen take to demist?

A brand new UK 2018 CX-5 Sport Nav+ and with freezing temps just here in the UK, I clear the ice off the outside and of course the inside of the windscreen is misted up.
    Press the ‘windscreen demist’ button (max A/C directed just at windscreen) and turn up temps to max it takes longer than 10 minutes just to clear a small hole to see out!

Is this a CX-5 thing? Our ancient Avensis took less than 4 mins to demist the entire windscreen!!

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Nic

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

To demist a CX-5 faster on winter mornings Take an appointment with your dealership and buy a new CX-5. It should come with clean windshield. Otherwise if your 2nd gen is like my 16.5 it takes 15 minutes to demist.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Mine is also the slowest of any car I've owned in the past 30 years or so. And that often affects the camera, disabling several systems until it clears, sometimes even after the windshield looks completely clear. A surprising failure for the CX-5.

Registered Member

CX-5 2.2d Sport Nav +

Not a problem for me this morning, deiced the windscreen with the engine running and the windscreen demist operating, put the rear heat on to defrost the outer edges of the windscreen too. No more than 2 minutes and I was off. Took about 10 mins for the camera to clear but that's normal. I'm in an 18 plate Sport Nav + currently.

Heater control on the draw air from the outside and not recirculate.

Registered Member

Yup, it*s definitely set on drawing air from outside!
    Ok, good to know that it*s a failing of something in the car, not a design failing.
    Takes forever to get warm air through so I*m assuming it*s something to do with that.
    A trip to the dealer is in order.

How they*re going to test it though??!
    Last edited by wow400; 01-02-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    To demist a CX-5 faster on winter mornings Take an appointment with your dealership and buy a new CX-5. It should come with clean windshield. Otherwise if your 2nd gen is like my 16.5 it takes 15 minutes to demist.
    Hah! It*s only a month old!!

Registered Member

CX-5 2.2d Sport Nav +

Quote Originally Posted by wow400 View Post
    Yup, it*s definitely set on drawing air from outside!
    Ok, good to know that it*s a failing of something in the car, not a design failing.
    Takes forever to get warm air through so I*m assuming it*s something to do with that.
    A trip to the dealer is in order.

How they*re going to test it though??!
    TBF the car does take a while to get while to get warm especially when directed into the footwells, noticed this more so this morning as it was fairly cold and my feet were freezing. Was nice to get into the office even after the New Year break:-(

Registered Member

This could depend on the trim level. The Grand Touring has the electric windshield wiper defrost. My experience with the system is that it works quickly. The one time I got a alert that my windshield camera was blocked (condensation) the defrost fixed the situation in 10-15 seconds.

The lower trims do not have the electric defrost.

Registered Member

AFAIK, the electric wiper defrost is purely a few electrical heating elements just in the region of the parked wiper blades.
    Gotta say, pretty pointless I reckon - you*ve still got to scrape the screen clean and it makes no difference to the camera area!

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Signature

AFAIK, the electric wiper defrost is purely a few electrical heating elements just in the region of the parked wiper blades.
    Gotta say, pretty pointless I reckon - you*ve still got to scrape the screen clean and it makes no difference to the camera area!
    We haven't had our CX-5 long enough to know how well it works on this vehicle. But, I have it in my Lexus and it is not "pointless". At least once you are moving. I don't think it was meant to defrost the windshield, just keep ice from building up at the bottom of the glass while driving.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Be sure that your windshield is clean on the inside. If it's not it can fog very easily.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

You're right, but the main purpose is to try to keep ice from building up on the wiper blades and at the bottom of the windshield when you're driving in heavy snow.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Lol. It a wiper deicer meant to prevent accumulation of snow and ice on the blades. Not for clearing the windshield.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

I haven't tried this, but you can try cleaning the inside of the windshield with shaving foam. Apparently hockey players do this to their face masks to prevent fogging. You just spray the shaving foam onto a cloth and then wipe it clean (preferably with a microfiber cloth). It's only a temporary measure as you'll eventually have to reapply, but it might help.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast