From Toyota to Mazda..

blwag

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Hey everyone, new guy to the forum.

I'm currently driving a 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 and have been looking at a replacement on/off for the past 12 months. Originally I had my eye on a '18 Honda CR-V, but their engine issues stopped that process in its tracks. I was also waiting on the release of the new RAV4 hybrid, but after test driving a non-hybrid one (and watching reviews), I think that ship has sailed as well. The quality, experience, and quiet cabin just isn't there.

I think I've reached my tipping point on my current RAV4 due to Toyota's inability to resolve a rear-end suspension/alignment issue. It's been the source of 3 recalls (https://www.torquenews.com/1083/toyota-rav4-suspension-recall-update-third-time-s-charm). I've now had the rear control arms replaced twice in the last 18 months; once as part of the recall and a second time due to alignment issues. Each time they do it, they have to epoxy the adjustment bolt, make it impossible to adjust. When it gets out of alignment (which it will...), it's a $400-500 fix; not including the tires you've probably already ruined. For that reason, I'd like to move on sooner rather than later.

With the inclusion of the new 2.5L Turbo, I'm now looking at a '18 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve or Signature and definitely like what I see. I test drove one the other day and the only thing I didn't love was the driver seat and it's proximity to the center console. I'm 6'0 and it seemed my knee was too close to the padding. The seat also felt a little small in terms of width. Everything else about the drive was great. It definitely has the power I came to love from my current V6. The seat size and location are probably designed that way on purpose and just something to get used to. Probably not deal breakers.

Wow, seems I've already got a novel going. I guess I'll get to it. I had a couple questions I was hoping to shed some light on.

1. On my current RAV4, I can lock the "4WD" up to 25 miles per hour. I know the AWD system in the CX-5 automatically and predicatively engages the rear wheels when needed, but can it be "locked"?
  2. Safety ratings are really important to me for my next vehicle. The CX5 scores really well in both IIHS and NHTSA. On the GTR and Signature models, for the IIHS "Forward Collision Warning" rating, it says, "This system does not meet the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's criteria for forward collision warning." I did find where it explains how you earn a point of that test. It explains, "To earn a point for forward collision warning, the system must meet NHTSA criteria. That means the system must issue a warning before a specified time in 5 of 7 test trials under three scenarios. The agency identifies vehicles with systems that meet the standard as part of its online ratings." To me, it means the CX5 didn't warn either during a specific scenario or fast enough. Does anyone have more color on that result?
  3. For exterior color, I'm trying to decide between White and Deep Blue. I like the idea of black rims with those colors. When I asked the dealer about it, he said they will often powder coat factory wheels and include a warranty for their work. Have others had this done? How did it go?

Well, if nothing else, thanks in advance for listening to me ramble.

The AWD is fully automatic and you cant lock it in. Would be nice if they had it but I personally havent found it to be an issue.

I have no clue about that IIHS comment about the warning. In practice I have had it warm me. I have some friends with Subarus that complain it warns to much so my guesswould be Mazda dials it back to reduce false positives and maybe isnt warning fast enough for their test. But thats again purely speculation.

As for color I really like the dark wheels. Ive always liked blue cars and its more different (as in an actual color) vs a lot of other stuff. But a white car with dark wheels and tint would look sharp too.

1) no lock, but its way better than your current awd in every way otherwise.
2) Mk1 eyeball, standard issue. Use it.
3) warranty is dealer dependent.

Welcome!

FYI, I also own that generation of V6 RAV4, and my understanding is that you can get good third party suspension parts that dont need epoxy and can be adjusted when you need an alignment. Toyota wont do it though. Im surprised they havent lost a massive class action suit over it yet.

"With the inclusion of the new 2.5L Turbo, I'm now looking at a '18 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve or Signature and definitely like what I see."

Maybe you just misspoke but the Turbo, Reserve and Signature are for 2019 models. Not 2018 as you stated in your post.

I've seen comments on the web that turning TCS off simulates locking AWD, as it allows wheel spin without cutting power; Mazda recommends this in their owners' manual for times when truly stuck in snow or mud. Have also read that TCS should be off when traveling off road. Have not had an opportunity to try it yet, as AWD seems to work really well in the snow.

Comments?

I've seen comments on the web that turning TCS off simulates locking AWD, as it allows wheel spin without cutting power; Mazda recommends this in their owners' manual for times when truly stuck in snow or mud. Have also read that TCS should be off when traveling off road. Have not had an opportunity to try it yet, as AWD seems to work really well in the snow.

Comments?

Dave Coleman actually talks about that in this interview. Sounds like indeed turning off traction control isnt really what it does. More like changes how it operates (which system) and they plan to change the label. I didnt take it to mean a AWD lock though. Might help in situations where you would otherwise want to use that though.

https://youtu.be/5wWY7JhNZ8U

I'm currently driving a 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 and have been looking at a replacement on/off for the past 12 months.

I think I've reached my tipping point on my current RAV4 due to Toyota's inability to resolve a rear-end suspension/alignment issue.

With the inclusion of the new 2.5L Turbo, I'm now looking at a '18 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve or Signature and definitely like what I see. I test drove one the other day and the only thing I didn't love was the driver seat and it's proximity to the center console. I'm 6'0 and it seemed my knee was too close to the padding. The seat also felt a little small in terms of width. Everything else about the drive was great. It definitely has the power I came to love from my current V6. The seat size and location are probably designed that way on purpose and just something to get used to. Probably not deal breakers.

Thought I would chime in, as your situation is a clone of mine.

I also owned a 2007 Rav4 V6 AWD...it was purchased new and had 145K miles when I sold it in May 2018.
- It also had the rear control arms alignment issue...too much negative camber was chewing through tires & couldn't be adjusted.

I closely researched/evaluated the top vehicles in the category and narrowed it down to the CRV and CX-5. My conclusion...
- The Mazda CX-5 is the superior vehicle, by a wide margin, unless your number one priority is maximum cargo capacity.
- I decided to accept the smaller cargo area for all of the other great traits the Mazda excels at.

I purchased a 2018 White CX-5 Grand Touring FWD in May 2018. The only things I miss from the 2007 Rav4...
- The power from the incredible V6 (the turbo CX-5 wasn't available, so power shouldn't be an issue for you)
- Significantly larger cargo capacity and rear seat space

"With the inclusion of the new 2.5L Turbo, I'm now looking at a '18 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve or Signature and definitely like what I see."

Maybe you just misspoke but the Turbo, Reserve and Signature are for 2019 models. Not 2018 as you stated in your post.

Ah, yes. Thanks for catching that. You're right, I did mean 2019.

Back