Trunk door light

paconovellino

:
CX-5
Happy New Year everyone!
This is my first post and I hope Im posting in the right section. I have a 2018 CX-5 and I noticed that the left light located in the trunk door is not working. Does anyone knows how to replace it?

As per the owners manual: The LED bulb cannot be replaced as a single unit because it is an integrated unit. Does this means that you have to buy the complete part?

I live outside the US and the dealer here doesnt have a clue about it

I don*t think it does since they change the design.
Here is a pic so you can have an idea
https://ibb.co/6t1Xb5C
6t1Xb5C

I don't know what your warranty terms are but surely the dealer will replace the light unit if under warranty? We all thought you meant the interior boot (trunk) light.

Hate to be the beatof bad news but yes they only sold the head unit as a whole = yes you will be paying for both and it's not cheap... In my case it cost about $650 CAD for the left side only.

The parts won't be covered under warranty for anything tear n wear but labour for installation should be so you will be just paying for parts

Last edited:
Unfortunately it*s not covered by the warranty. :(
Wow $650 CAD! I wasn*t expecting to be so expensive. Sounds like I can look for a body kit upgrade with that amount of money.
Thanks guys.
Any good tutorial on how to remove both units?

You've got to be kidding. Few months (if that) into ownership and this LED crap is not covered? No way. Who did you talk to at the dealership? In Canada it is 3yrs, unlimited mileage comprehensive (means bumper-to-bumper) warranty. Go get these guys straight...

You've got to be kidding. Few months (if that) into ownership and this LED crap is not covered? No way. Who did you talk to at the dealership? In Canada it is 3yrs, unlimited mileage comprehensive (means bumper-to-bumper) warranty. Go get these guys straight...

He lives in El Salvador. Many countries don't have the same warranty protections as Canada/US/Western Europe.

paconovellino, based on the picture it looks like the ring on the outer light is not lighting up fully, but I can't be sure. One option for you if the new price is too steep is to check ebay for some units that have been pulled off a CX-5 that was in a front end accident or something like that. There's also websites that specialize in salvaging parts from vehicles in accidents that might be good to check.

Sorry, I saw Canadian currency in the context and assumed... Still. No warranty at all?

Is it just me, or is the left side a touring / non-LED light set-up and the right side the LED accent light set up.

Left light looks awfully like the base lights. OP - did it ever work or just noticing it now?

If the left side is also an LED light then both lighting units have an issue. Or there's a cable / connection issue. With that being a 2018 I'd be back at the dealer making lots of noise if they weren't going to fix it.

My light works on older model but to prevent having to mess wih switch I mounted a commonly available stick on LED light. 5 dollar no holler....
Kind of Jenky but it works fine-

There are manuals online that show how to remove the tailgate light (I don't have them in front of me right now) but it shouldn't be too hard to replace it.

Back