View Poll Results: What octane do you put in your CX-5 turbo?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll

9 39.13%

0 0%

6 26.09%

8 34.78%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for turbo owners: what octane do you use?

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

Everybody is right in their own way

I can speak for my experience. Multiple engines opened up at 100k+. The ones driven on highest grade fuel + frequent and good oils were always much cleaner inside than few others which we opened and were driven on lower fuel grade filled from everywhere they can buy cheap. Not talking mpg.
    I have to admit though if one plans to drive/lease for 30-60k miles, it does not matter much. Change the car every few years, etc.

Banned

2018 Mazda

The WEST Region of USA close to RENO and San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by cz5gt View Post
    Everybody is right in their own way

I can speak for my experience. Multiple engines opened up at 100k+. The ones driven on highest grade fuel + frequent and good oils were always much cleaner inside than few others which we opened and were driven on lower fuel grade filled from everywhere they can buy cheap. Not talking mpg.
    I have to admit though if one plans to drive/lease for 30-60k miles, it does not matter much. Change the car every few years, etc.
    First you live in Arizona ...there is no such thing as highest quality fuels?? LOL. Fuels must be federal approved to be used in the USA and Arizona and all the other states have Federal standards for fuel sold none of which has to do with the quality rating of high or low. The chosen fuel anyone uses like Shell or Chevron, BP, CostCO, etc., have there own additives they all support for cleaner engines , improved emissions and so on, what ever sells their fuels and this has nothing to do with quality. If you look into all fuel where they begin most all suppliers get the raw fuel from only a few refineries and add their "elixir" to the finish product they offer. Even the less expensive branded fuels still meet federal requirements and are not by definition LOW or HIGH quality fuels. Octane rating is what it is and that can not be changed without FEDERAL APPROVAL in the USA and even in Arizona.
    There is NO evidence anywhere about your claimed observation about the engine and the internal wear based on the octane of fuel used. In fact if one were to read your response you should have found normal observation in the crankcase and parts because of the regular oil and filter changes you mentioned being performed? Simply put unburned fuel contaminates the motor oil even in the beat of engines and is cleaned out with oil changes. This happens with any fuel/Gasoline used in the USA. Oil analysis on a sample of motor oil used can easily and does show this.
    I have a couple of customers in Arizona I built both car and motorcycle engines for not to mention hundreds of engine I have torn down and never looked at them and said "yup this guy use low quality fuel." LOL

I also find it interesting how it is so easy to suggest if you lease then dont take car of your vehicle? Really!
    Kinda makes me think of fricken people that smoke cigarettes and think it is all right to toss them out the car window (most all states this is a illegal to do ) or smash the butts on sidewalks like it is not harming anything?
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-04-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

Will try to be as short as possible.
    There is a big difference in the meaning of the wording 'quality' and 'grade'.
    You (no offence) read in the way you want to read it.
    To be more precise - the engine internal parts on the engines I've seen and especially in the head/valves/pistons/upper area are much cleaner with higher grade fuel. Again based on my experience. Period.
    Everybody pays of his/hers own pocket and can fill whatever fuel they like.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

If I had a turbo 2.5L CX-5, I'd use the highest octane possible for sure, in my case 91 in my area.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 gt T

After reading through all these post I*ll be using the higher octane fuel available at the local Costco. I*ll be taking it easy for the first while (5K km).... but gives me peace of mind knowing I*m giving it the best possible. Picking up my new ride sometime over the next few days! Excited!

2019 Signature CX-5 Black Mica

I always use top tier fuel in my cars, typically Chevron and Shell. My Z06 and the new Signature CX-5 are only fed the highest octane available which in my local area is 92. Other vehicle get top.tier but regular grade.

FUEL TESTED ON A DYNO
    About 2 years ago a group of racers I race with took a Spec Miata to the dyno with the purpose of determining if brand of fuel made any differnce. They test several brands all on the same dyno on the same day. The fuel test took a couple of hours to complete. All fuel used for the test was standard pump grade 92 octane purchase from local gas stations. No additives were added to any of the fuel tested. A couple of gallons of fuel was added to the car and then the car dyno'd for power. After each test the fuel was completely drained through the fuel test port and the next brand of fuel was put in. This process was repeated for each brand. Two brands came out on top...Shell and Chevron. Although both were measurably better compared to the other brands tested the Chevron actually had a slight edge over Shell. In a class where we fight for every last horse power fuel matters. Will it matter in our street car s...maybe not but this test proved there were differences between brands of fuel. Your money, your car, your wallet.

Banned

2018 Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureCX5 View Post
    I always use top tier fuel in my cars, typically Chevron and Shell. My Z06 and the new Signature CX-5 are only fed the highest octane available which in my local area is 92. Other vehicle get top.tier but regular grade.

FUEL TESTED ON A DYNO
    About 2 years ago a group of racers I race with took a Spec Miata to the dyno with the purpose of determining if brand of fuel made any difference. They test several brands all on the same dyno on the same day. The fuel test took a couple of hours to complete. All fuel used for the test was standard pump grade 92 octane purchase from local gas stations. No additives were added to any of the fuel tested. A couple of gallons of fuel was added to the car and then the car dyno'd for power. After each test the fuel was completely drained through the fuel test port and the next brand of fuel was put in. This process was repeated for each brand. Two brands came out on top...Shell and Chevron. Although both were measurably better compared to the other brands tested the Chevron actually had a slight edge over Shell. In a class where we fight for every last horse power fuel matters. Will it matter in our street car s...maybe not but this test proved there were differences between brands of fuel. Your money, your car, your wallet.
    I like this!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I DON"T like when I visit your state of Oregon that it is state law that an attendant must fill you vehicle. So looking into this law (actually my attorney and fellow car enthusiast did) law I (we) found the loop hole to pump my own! LOL

I just say now... "modified vehicle"! And pump my own.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Just out of curiosity was Phillips 66 tested? No Chevron here and Shell are all in inconvenient places. I tend to consider Phillips 66 and BP to be good as well.

Also how big was the actual difference?

Registered Member

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Death, taxes and extreme passion expressed on the internet about the what’s/why’s/how’s concerning the octane fuel people like to use in their vehicles....these are things that are certain, LOL!

[QUOTE=Grendel65;6624180]I like this!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I DON"T like when I visit your state of Oregon that it is state law that an attendant must fill you vehicle. So looking into this law (actually my attorney and fellow car enthusiast did) law I (we) found the loop hole to pump my own! LOL

I just say now... "modified vehicle"! And pump my own.

That was one of the hardest things to get used to after moving here. For some reason NJ and Oregon think we are idiots and can't do what others do in 48 states. Most pump attendants are careless as shit. In addition to spilling fuel on the car I've witnessed the attendant hit the cars with the oumo nozzle. I usually pump my own fuel in Oregon. And if they stop me I watch them like a hawk. I just get out and start pumping. Sometimes I get yelled at🤣🤣🤣makws me deel.like a chikd again🤣😂😁

But it is legal to pump your own diesel which I remind them of. They almost always ask me if I want to pump my own fuel when filling my Z06. I'll have to try the "modified" statement the next time someone gives me shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Just out of curiosity was Phillips 66 tested? No Chevron here and Shell are all in inconvenient places. I tend to consider Phillips 66 and BP to be good as well.

Also how big was the actual difference?
    Those were not tested as they are not common brands in the area. But I believe they are both to tier so would be good. It's really about the additive packages. The main objective of my post was to show there are differences between brands rather than to suggest using a specific brand. If we put a different car or type of engine on the dyno would gave the results been different... I couldn't say because we didn't try other vehicles.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Yea Philips 66 is top tier, has 93, and there is one by the house and the office so its convenient.

Banned

2018 Mazda

Those were not tested as they are not common brands in the area. But I believe they are both to tier so would be good. It's really about the additive packages. The main objective of my post was to show there are differences between brands rather than to suggest using a specific brand. If we put a different car or type of engine on the dyno would gave the results been different... I couldn't say because we didn't try other vehicles.
    We often drive up to Brookings or Goldbeach for a weekend git away several times a year.

I have done many DYNO runs in fact 2 years ago I did a total of 99 in one year. The local muffler shop did (now it is not legal in CA don't ask) car shows and often asks me to run the DYNO. I owned at one time a convention floor mounted Chassis DYNO ,portable DYNO and engine Dyno, so I am at least sorta experienced with using them. And I am very OCD about setting up the base line programming so the runs are very accurate and I can repeat the perimeters "DELTA" for comparisons of engine changes. I never really paid attention to much to what anyone used for fuel besides most of them were "spiking" the fuel with octane boosters to get better DYNO printouts or that "selfee" next to the DYNO Monitor with their top numbers. But what fuel used was always a conversation and I still seem to hear Union 76, Shell and Chevron as the top fuels used. While I am sure their were CostCo, BP and Sinclair fuel users I doubt with that crowd anyone was going to admit using it. LOL With my automotive industry business associates all over the US and a couple other countries , ASE informational , All DATA updates and information ,TSBs, etc and a few other periodicals most of us have mentioned minor diviability issue cleared up by simply suggesting to our customer to use Chevron or Shell predominantly. While I can't say on this subject none of us ever did proper testing to say with any facts the true outcome to using strictly those fuels I can say at least for one platform most all service dealership as well independent shops that service the BMW/MINI most all recomend to use Chevron fuels.
    When I race brackets and use Chevron running a specif gravity test and times having to use Shell or other fuels I did find that Chevron tested a little more predictable. But using other fuels never showed in my average ET's running handicapped racing. so I never gave it to much thought. In the Explorer I will use whatever fuels,the MINI's only Chevron,the PT mostly, Safeway fuels which could be anything,except when I race and then only Chevron with a little bit of xylene. shhhhh! The S/G Camaro when I was still professionally NHRA class racing I only used 76 or Socal Race fuel. All the motorcycles either 76 or Chevron except the RG which I ran a custom mix of fuel. So although it may seem like my loyalties was favoring Chevron I do use other fuels.
    Oh the MAZDA only Chevron...unless while traveling can not get it. And then I always carry a small bottle of my own cocktail of fuel additive to add to the tank to get by until I can fill back up with Chevron.
    You know it funny but no one mention how the spark plugs like different fuels. but I won't start that conversation on this forum. I already looked at a few dozen threads and responses and there is a lot of "tribal wisdom" concerning what spark plugs to use and how long they can last between changes....wow!!! LOL Not one member mentioned doing any proper spark plug testing to even find the best spark plug gap let alone running the engine on an oscilloscope to see what the ignition system was doing with the chosen spark plugs and choice of gap? LOL
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-06-2019 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel65 View Post
    We often drive up to Brookings or Goldbeach for a weekend git away several times a year.

I have done many DYNO runs in fact 2 years ago I did a total of 99 in one year. The local muffler shop did (now it is not legal in CA don't ask) car shows and often asks me to run the DYNO. I owned at one time a convention floor mounted Chassis DYNO ,portable DYNO and engine Dyno, so I am at least sorta experienced with using them. And I am very OCD about setting up the base line programming so the runs are very accurate and I can repeat the perimeters "DELTA" for comparisons of engine changes. I never really paid attention to much to what anyone used for fuel besides most of them were "spiking" the fuel with octane boosters to get better DYNO printouts or that "selfee" next to the DYNO Monitor with their top numbers. But what fuel used was always a conversation and I still seem to hear Union 76, Shell and Chevron as the top fuels used. While I am sure their were CostCo, BP and Sinclair fuel users I doubt with that crowd anyone was going to admit using it. LOL With my automotive industry business associates all over the US and a couple other countries , ASE informational , All DATA updates and information ,TSBs, etc and a few other periodicals most of us have mentioned minor diviability issue cleared up by simply suggesting to our customer to use Chevron or Shell predominantly. While I can't say on this subject none of us ever did proper testing to say with any facts the true outcome to using strictly those fuels I can say at least for one platform most all service dealership as well independent shops that service the BMW/MINI most all recomend to use Chevron fuels.
    When I race brackets and use Chevron running a specif gravity test and times having to use Shell or other fuels I did find that Chevron tested a little more predictable. But using other fuels never showed in my average ET's running handicapped racing. so I never gave it to much thought. In the Explorer I will use whatever fuels,the MINI's only Chevron,the PT mostly, Safeway fuels which could be anything,except when I race and then only Chevron with a little bit of xylene. shhhhh! The S/G Camaro when I was still professionally NHRA class racing I only used 76 or Socal Race fuel. All the motorcycles either 76 or Chevron except the RG which I ran a custom mix of fuel. So although it may seem like my loyalties was favoring Chevron I do use other fuels.
    Oh the MAZDA only Chevron...unless while traveling can not get it. And then I always carry a small bottle of my own cocktail of fuel additive to add to the tank to get by until I can fill back up with Chevron.
    You know it funny but no one mention how the spark plugs like different fuels. but I won't start that conversation on this forum. I already looked at a few dozen threads and responses and there is a lot of "tribal wisdom" concerning what spark plugs to use and how long they can last between changes....wow!!! LOL Not one member mentioned doing any proper spark plug testing to even find the best spark plug gap let alone running the engine on an oscilloscope to see what the ignition system was doing with the chosen spark plugs and choice of gap? LOL
    You sound like a true racer! Agree about not digging too deep into shit that many won't understand. It takes more testing than people believe to truly get scientific results that are not skewed by improper testing methods or the need to brag.

My wife's otoscope if perfect for reading spark plugs. She always asked why I have her bring it to my race weekends...LOL

And yes, your nose can smell and your eyrs can tear from spent treated fuel. We have a gentlemans agreement to run pump gas at the races but it's easy to tell if someone is running something they shouldn't be.

Banned

2018 Mazda

You sound like a true racer! Agree about not digging too deep into shit that many won't understand. It takes more testing than people believe to truly get scientific results that are not skewed by improper testing methods or the need to brag.

My wife's otoscope if perfect for reading spark plugs. She always asked why I have her bring it to my race weekends...LOL

And yes, your nose can smell and your eyes can tear from spent treated fuel. We have a gentleman's agreement to run pump gas at the races but it's easy to tell if someone is running something they shouldn't be.
    That's kool!

I run none pro Drag Racing at Sacramento Raceway
    Road Racing at Sonoma Raceway, Laguna Seca
    When I raced professionally NHRA (now retired) all over.

And I am still a......auh ....... street....... (cant say it on this forum by the rules) lol
    My Nitrous bottles are always full and ready.
    You know the funny thing is at this point my MAZDA is the slowest of all my cars. Everything else is either BLOWN or TURBO CHARGED...I even have a PT Cruiser that will do 0-60mph in about 6 seconds. LOL The MAZDA does not even handle half as good as two of my other cars .They are MINI's But hey my sound system in the MAZDA keeps me enjoying every trip I do in with it long or short.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast