View Poll Results: What octane do you put in your CX-5 turbo?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll

9 39.13%

0 0%

6 26.09%

8 34.78%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for turbo owners: what octane do you use?

Registered Member

none yet

I'm not sure whether the industry has completely solved the carbon buildup on intake valves with direct injection, so for me, I use Shell 91 (highest in CO) because that one is Top Tier (lower octanes don't appear to be) and recommended by Audi. Another thing to consider is as engines age, there can be carbon deposits on the underside of the head, or piston rings. Either of these can be a source of pre-iginition, so again Top Tier for me. You might not ever notice, just a bit of timing retardation and lower power versus when it was brand new.

I don't know that comparing HP at low RPM is the whole story. Maybe HP is the same but the engine can advance timing with higher octane to get better MPG/HP? If so the only way to know the difference is a series of fillups and compare mileage and see if the price cost is worth it.

There must be significant gains to be made in higher octane or the auto manufacturers wouldn't be lobbying to get the octane changed accross the board nationwide. I was talking with our plant manager just recently and he said the biggest capital investment he see over the next 10 years is to raise octane, he hears the manufacturers want 95. Interesting times.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GS AWD

All grades of Shell are Top Tier.
    Premium is just even more so with its additive package.
    Last edited by VQ35DE; 01-02-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

I have a local station that sells 90 octane ethanol free gas - for ~20 cents more than 87. I used it in my CX-5 occasionally and would see increased fuel economy. May give that a shot to see how the CX-9 handles that.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    I have a local station that sells 90 octane ethanol free gas - for ~20 cents more than 87. I used it in my CX-5 occasionally and would see increased fuel economy. May give that a shot to see how the CX-9 handles that.
    I use Shell 91 "V-Power NiTRO+" mainly because it's ethanol free (in Canada) and because of the detergents. I've noticed a 50-60 km increase in total range compared to Shell 87. Your (literal) mileage may vary.

For anyone in the U.S. and Canada wanting to find out if ethanol free gas is available locally, start here: www.pure-gas.org

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

For those who have ethanol free in their locations:

1- is any of it big name brand?
    2- what do you know about the additives in it?

Ethanol free is obviously better than ethanol blends in every respect, everything else being equal.

But is everything else "equal"?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Hey I just want it for the snow blower. Not sure the other stuff matters as much in that use case.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I use Shell 91 "V-Power NiTRO+" mainly because it's ethanol free (in Canada) and because of the detergents. I've noticed a 50-60 km increase in total range compared to Shell 87. Your (literal) mileage may vary.

For anyone in the U.S. and Canada wanting to find out if ethanol free gas is available locally, start here: www.pure-gas.org
    That is good to hear.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    For those who have ethanol free in their locations:

1- is any of it big name brand?
    2- what do you know about the additives in it?

Ethanol free is obviously better than ethanol blends in every respect, everything else being equal.

But is everything else "equal"?
    I can't really say, as the only ethanol-free gas available where I live is 91 octane and only comes from 8 Shell locations and one Co-Op location. That said, the prices of gasoline between the competing brands (Petro Canada, Esso, etc.) usually only vary by 2-3 cents per litre (and are ethanol-blended). Ethanol-blended 91 octane is available for about 6 cents less per litre at 7-11 Convenience stores.

I buy from Shell primarily because it's close to home and because I know its ethanol free. They also boast about having "the best total engine protection you can get".
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

So according to this list there are some ethanol free stations near me so Iíll have to investigate. Of course they are all ones Iíve never used.

Registered Member

Genesis G80 3.8L RWD Ultimate

Unless you spend a lot of time racing the engine (4000 RPM and above) there is zero value in using anything above 87 octane gasoline. Higher octane gas gets you at best a 10% performance increase and only above 4000 RPM - here in TX the price premium of premium (91 is the best I can get in Austin) vs regular is 25% (as of today $1.75/gallon regular and $2.19/gallon premium) - so you pay a 25% premium for a potential (and likely less since 93 is harder to find) 10% performance increase in very few driving situations (my car rarely ever gets above 4000 RPM, it just sounds terrible and wastes gas).

Even Mazda says that higher octane gas is an "unnecessary" spend:

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

They designed it to us 87 which is great. Save $$$ at the pump. For the non-turbo, that is.
    Last edited by MyFirstMazda; 01-02-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Registered Member

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Been running 87 but wife just accidentally put 89 in. Will probably check out a few tanks of 93 especially given the low prices lately. But honestly, we havenít been pushing the car hard at all. It drives so nicely with moderate gas pedal angle that weíll likely stick mostly with 87.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

on all my turbo cars and bikes I've put 91 and always noticed a bit better response. mpg I dont care much.

The problem is the freakin ethanol in Usa.

2019 Signature CX-5 Black Mica

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I can't really say, as the only ethanol-free gas available where I live is 91 octane and only comes from 8 Shell locations and one Co-Op location. That said, the prices of gasoline between the competing brands (Petro Canada, Esso, etc.) usually only vary by 2-3 cents per litre (and are ethanol-blended). Ethanol-blended 91 octane is available for about 6 cents less per litre at 7-11 Convenience stores.

I buy from Shell primarily because it's close to home and because I know its ethanol free. They also boast about having "the best total engine protection you can get".
    One of the Shell stations by me sell non-ethanol but it is labelled as a 'non-Shell" product. So I'm not a fan since I dont know what I'm really getting.

Registered Member

ss

I have yet to drive >4000 RPM so 87 is what I use. This summer, (after roads are dry and some break in time), I'll try some 93 when given a better opportunity to test it out.

Using >87 octane below 4000 RPM is just wasting money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast