Question for turbo owners: what octane do you use?

What octane do you put in your CX-5 turbo?

Votes: 17 38.6%

Votes: 2 4.5%

Votes: 8 18.2%

Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters
Hey I just want it for the snow blower. Not sure the other stuff matters as much in that use case.

I use Shell 91 "V-Power NiTRO+" mainly because it's ethanol free (in Canada) and because of the detergents. I've noticed a 50-60 km increase in total range compared to Shell 87. Your (literal) mileage may vary. :)

For anyone in the U.S. and Canada wanting to find out if ethanol free gas is available locally, start here: www.pure-gas.org

That is good to hear.

For those who have ethanol free in their locations:

1- is any of it big name brand?
2- what do you know about the additives in it?

Ethanol free is obviously better than ethanol blends in every respect, everything else being equal.

But is everything else "equal"?

I can't really say, as the only ethanol-free gas available where I live is 91 octane and only comes from 8 Shell locations and one Co-Op location. That said, the prices of gasoline between the competing brands (Petro Canada, Esso, etc.) usually only vary by 2-3 cents per litre (and are ethanol-blended). Ethanol-blended 91 octane is available for about 6 cents less per litre at 7-11 Convenience stores.

I buy from Shell primarily because it's close to home and because I know its ethanol free. They also boast about having "the best total engine protection you can get".

So according to this list there are some ethanol free stations near me so Ill have to investigate. Of course they are all ones Ive never used.

Unless you spend a lot of time racing the engine (4000 RPM and above) there is zero value in using anything above 87 octane gasoline. Higher octane gas gets you at best a 10% performance increase and only above 4000 RPM - here in TX the price premium of premium (91 is the best I can get in Austin) vs regular is 25% (as of today $1.75/gallon regular and $2.19/gallon premium) - so you pay a 25% premium for a potential (and likely less since 93 is harder to find) 10% performance increase in very few driving situations (my car rarely ever gets above 4000 RPM, it just sounds terrible and wastes gas).

Even Mazda says that higher octane gas is an "unnecessary" spend:

lnhikclimujpbhr9d9t7.png

They designed it to us 87 which is great. Save $$$ at the pump. For the non-turbo, that is.

Last edited:
Been running 87 but wife just accidentally put 89 in. Will probably check out a few tanks of 93 especially given the low prices lately. But honestly, we havent been pushing the car hard at all. It drives so nicely with moderate gas pedal angle that well likely stick mostly with 87.

on all my turbo cars and bikes I've put 91 and always noticed a bit better response. mpg I dont care much.

The problem is the freakin ethanol in Usa.

I can't really say, as the only ethanol-free gas available where I live is 91 octane and only comes from 8 Shell locations and one Co-Op location. That said, the prices of gasoline between the competing brands (Petro Canada, Esso, etc.) usually only vary by 2-3 cents per litre (and are ethanol-blended). Ethanol-blended 91 octane is available for about 6 cents less per litre at 7-11 Convenience stores.

I buy from Shell primarily because it's close to home and because I know its ethanol free. They also boast about having "the best total engine protection you can get".

One of the Shell stations by me sell non-ethanol but it is labelled as a 'non-Shell" product. So I'm not a fan since I dont know what I'm really getting.

I have yet to drive >4000 RPM so 87 is what I use. This summer, (after roads are dry and some break in time), I'll try some 93 when given a better opportunity to test it out.

Using >87 octane below 4000 RPM is just wasting money.

Everybody is right in their own way :)

I can speak for my experience. Multiple engines opened up at 100k+. The ones driven on highest grade fuel + frequent and good oils were always much cleaner inside than few others which we opened and were driven on lower fuel grade filled from everywhere they can buy cheap. Not talking mpg.
I have to admit though if one plans to drive/lease for 30-60k miles, it does not matter much. Change the car every few years, etc.

Everybody is right in their own way :)

I can speak for my experience. Multiple engines opened up at 100k+. The ones driven on highest grade fuel + frequent and good oils were always much cleaner inside than few others which we opened and were driven on lower fuel grade filled from everywhere they can buy cheap. Not talking mpg.
I have to admit though if one plans to drive/lease for 30-60k miles, it does not matter much. Change the car every few years, etc.
First you live in Arizona ...there is no such thing as highest quality fuels?? LOL. Fuels must be federal approved to be used in the USA and Arizona and all the other states have Federal standards for fuel sold none of which has to do with the quality rating of high or low. The chosen fuel anyone uses like Shell or Chevron, BP, CostCO, etc., have there own additives they all support for cleaner engines , improved emissions and so on, what ever sells their fuels and this has nothing to do with quality. If you look into all fuel where they begin most all suppliers get the raw fuel from only a few refineries and add their "elixir" to the finish product they offer. Even the less expensive branded fuels still meet federal requirements and are not by definition LOW or HIGH quality fuels. Octane rating is what it is and that can not be changed without FEDERAL APPROVAL in the USA and even in Arizona.
There is NO evidence anywhere about your claimed observation about the engine and the internal wear based on the octane of fuel used. In fact if one were to read your response you should have found normal observation in the crankcase and parts because of the regular oil and filter changes you mentioned being performed? Simply put unburned fuel contaminates the motor oil even in the beat of engines and is cleaned out with oil changes. This happens with any fuel/Gasoline used in the USA. Oil analysis on a sample of motor oil used can easily and does show this.
I have a couple of customers in Arizona I built both car and motorcycle engines for not to mention hundreds of engine I have torn down and never looked at them and said "yup this guy use low quality fuel." LOL

I also find it interesting how it is so easy to suggest if you lease then dont take car of your vehicle? Really!
Kinda makes me think of fricken people that smoke cigarettes and think it is all right to toss them out the car window (most all states this is a illegal to do ) or smash the butts on sidewalks like it is not harming anything?

Last edited:
Will try to be as short as possible.
There is a big difference in the meaning of the wording 'quality' and 'grade'.
You (no offence) read in the way you want to read it.
To be more precise - the engine internal parts on the engines I've seen and especially in the head/valves/pistons/upper area are much cleaner with higher grade fuel. Again based on my experience. Period.
Everybody pays of his/hers own pocket and can fill whatever fuel they like.

If I had a turbo 2.5L CX-5, I'd use the highest octane possible for sure, in my case 91 in my area.

After reading through all these post I*ll be using the higher octane fuel available at the local Costco. I*ll be taking it easy for the first while (5K km).... but gives me peace of mind knowing I*m giving it the best possible. Picking up my new ride sometime over the next few days! Excited!

I always use top tier fuel in my cars, typically Chevron and Shell. My Z06 and the new Signature CX-5 are only fed the highest octane available which in my local area is 92. Other vehicle get top.tier but regular grade.

FUEL TESTED ON A DYNO
About 2 years ago a group of racers I race with took a Spec Miata to the dyno with the purpose of determining if brand of fuel made any differnce. They test several brands all on the same dyno on the same day. The fuel test took a couple of hours to complete. All fuel used for the test was standard pump grade 92 octane purchase from local gas stations. No additives were added to any of the fuel tested. A couple of gallons of fuel was added to the car and then the car dyno'd for power. After each test the fuel was completely drained through the fuel test port and the next brand of fuel was put in. This process was repeated for each brand. Two brands came out on top...Shell and Chevron. Although both were measurably better compared to the other brands tested the Chevron actually had a slight edge over Shell. In a class where we fight for every last horse power fuel matters. Will it matter in our street car s...maybe not but this test proved there were differences between brands of fuel. Your money, your car, your wallet.

I always use top tier fuel in my cars, typically Chevron and Shell. My Z06 and the new Signature CX-5 are only fed the highest octane available which in my local area is 92. Other vehicle get top.tier but regular grade.

FUEL TESTED ON A DYNO
About 2 years ago a group of racers I race with took a Spec Miata to the dyno with the purpose of determining if brand of fuel made any difference. They test several brands all on the same dyno on the same day. The fuel test took a couple of hours to complete. All fuel used for the test was standard pump grade 92 octane purchase from local gas stations. No additives were added to any of the fuel tested. A couple of gallons of fuel was added to the car and then the car dyno'd for power. After each test the fuel was completely drained through the fuel test port and the next brand of fuel was put in. This process was repeated for each brand. Two brands came out on top...Shell and Chevron. Although both were measurably better compared to the other brands tested the Chevron actually had a slight edge over Shell. In a class where we fight for every last horse power fuel matters. Will it matter in our street car s...maybe not but this test proved there were differences between brands of fuel. Your money, your car, your wallet.

I like this!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I DON"T like when I visit your state of Oregon that it is state law that an attendant must fill you vehicle. So looking into this law (actually my attorney and fellow car enthusiast did) law I (we) found the loop hole to pump my own! LOL

I just say now... "modified vehicle"! And pump my own. ;)

[url=https://postimg.cc/FfQ72rH6][/URL]

Just out of curiosity was Phillips 66 tested? No Chevron here and Shell are all in inconvenient places. I tend to consider Phillips 66 and BP to be good as well.

Also how big was the actual difference?

Death, taxes and extreme passion expressed on the internet about the whats/whys/hows concerning the octane fuel people like to use in their vehicles....these are things that are certain, LOL!

I like this!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I DON"T like when I visit your state of Oregon that it is state law that an attendant must fill you vehicle. So looking into this law (actually my attorney and fellow car enthusiast did) law I (we) found the loop hole to pump my own! LOL

I just say now... "modified vehicle"! And pump my own. ;)

That was one of the hardest things to get used to after moving here. For some reason NJ and Oregon think we are idiots and can't do what others do in 48 states. Most pump attendants are careless as s***. In addition to spilling fuel on the car I've witnessed the attendant hit the cars with the oumo nozzle. I usually pump my own fuel in Oregon. And if they stop me I watch them like a hawk. I just get out and start pumping. Sometimes I get yelled at🤣🤣🤣makws me deel.like a chikd again🤣😂😁

But it is legal to pump your own diesel which I remind them of. They almost always ask me if I want to pump my own fuel when filling my Z06. I'll have to try the "modified" statement the next time someone gives me s***.

Back